BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2007, 06:19 AM   #23
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
VQMTuning sells it. I posted the link to the original thread in my previous post. Click on the "Here" in that post!

I didn't realize that he had a coupe, so I guess he is SOL w/ regards to this kit. I still stand by my assessment that one should have just purchased an ///M if they are going to go through all of the trouble of doing OEM widebody surgery on their vehicle.
Thanks SC, that is a great thread. The more I see this kit, the more I like it. In fact, it looks better than the E90 M3. Plus, they are in the process of doing a coupe version, and it sounds like they will have the option of CF (probably big money). For a project car I think I'd choose this kit for sure. Heck, just reading the thread makes me want to buy a used high mileage 325i to build into a project car. Very nice work.

OP, what's wrong with the VQM kit? Other than that its not yet available?
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #24
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenland

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
At this point, one should have just bought an ///M. Why not purchase that extremely well put together widebody kit on the black 3-series sedan? That makes much more sense!

Here you go!



Damn...that car is nice! Love those wheels.
Stahlgrau is offline  
0
      10-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,922
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I can appreciate a project car just as much as he next guy. I will be quick to admit your car looks really nice right now. I have a medium modded E36 M3 presently (but nothing so extreme as a full body kit on it). I have just personally decided against significant modding in my future. For resale, time constraint, warranty and comfort reasons.

Again I just find it a bit dishonest when you say you wanted to use this large list of most of the parts that make the M3 look different than the 335i, but at the same time you say your project will not look "anything" like the M3. Is that reasonable, logical, possible? I just don't think so. Further with all of these planned parts how can you claim there is "no imitation" of the M3. You are not being straight with yourself.

Just because some of us disagree with your personal approach to your car does not make us snobs nor obsessed with exclusivity. If you took the time to read anything about most of us here you would find we are all very price sensitive and really want the new M3 to be priced low, not high. Most of us care way more about performance per dollar than exclusivity (and that is me in the biggest way). You would also find a ton of good 335 vs. M3 debates. Tell me you don't giggle just a little bit when you see E36 M3 wing mirrors on a Honda? There is some of that same attitude of some of us toward your project, whether or not that shoe fits perfectly or whether or not we understand your lofty/ultimate goals.

Last but not least be prepared for discussion when you post. After all this is a DISCUSSION forum. I'm sorry no one has given you your precious part numbers but your car and your ideas, whether some of us love them or hate them, has sparked some discussion. It has been civil and honest and I don't think you can expect more.

Cheers.
Addressed nicely!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
      10-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
oldaccount
Colonel
 
oldaccount's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 2,454
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to oldaccount
i call dibs on anything youre sellin
oldaccount is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
ironic
Major General
 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

I'm completely unaware that this is a discussion forum and am a total alien to this world of posting. Please enlighten me further.

Also please tell me what I have planned for my own car and fully condemn me to "the crowd that tries to make the "base" 3 look like an M" before you fully understand my intentions. I won't call you a snob for implying that I have no taste and am only interested in the imitation of a higher priced car when this car has always been aimed to set trends instead of follow them.

I should throw away my one of a kind wheels, the arqray exhaust coming in from japan, the plans for endless brakes, and the plans for a wide body. It's inconceivable that I'd want to do anything with the parts off the new m3 except make my car look exactly like it. The fact that it has wider fenders, a light weight roof, and flared fenders on the bumpers to match is a straight up dumb reason to use it as a base for some custom modification.

The fact that no one has a widebody out for the e92 right now or even a bodykit that fits like oem is another reason why I shouldn't even consider using the m3's parts, oem parts, to build a high quality kit from.

My project will look exactly like the M3! Only in that way would it be reasonable, logical, and possible.

Don't try and belittle me or my project and then play angel like you never stuck your nose where it didn't belong. Obviously you understand sarcasm so I've written my response in that form.

Sorry but I don't find misrepresentation and your sarcastic comments civil. But please try and cover yourself up with more rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Getting ready to make your 335i into an M3 look-alike? OK so call me a pessimist or jaded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good point, with all the parts you mentioned, "4 fenders, sideskirts, front and rear bumper, cf roof, and mirrors" it won't look anything like an M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
^

My 2 cents. There will always be the crowd that tries to make the base 3 look like an M. It has been happening since day 1 of the E30 M3. The imitations range in quality and tastefulness from OK to terrible. Of course you can always just add nothing but the badge. No matter what level is adopted I always get a giggle when I see it on the road. As much as it should be flattery it always ends up making me a little bit irritated. Certainly not enough to raise my blood pressure, say anything, etc., just enough to make me shake my head a bit and wonder why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I can appreciate a project car just as much as he next guy. I will be quick to admit your car looks really nice right now. I have a medium modded E36 M3 presently (but nothing so extreme as a full body kit on it). I have just personally decided against significant modding in my future. For resale, time constraint, warranty and comfort reasons.

Again I just find it a bit dishonest when you say you wanted to use this large list of most of the parts that make the M3 look different than the 335i, but at the same time you say your project will not look "anything" like the M3. Is that reasonable, logical, possible? I just don't think so. Further with all of these planned parts how can you claim there is "no imitation" of the M3. You are not being straight with yourself.

Just because some of us disagree with your personal approach to your car does not make us snobs nor obsessed with exclusivity. If you took the time to read anything about most of us here you would find we are all very price sensitive and really want the new M3 to be priced low, not high. Most of us care way more about performance per dollar than exclusivity (and that is me in the biggest way). You would also find a ton of good 335 vs. M3 debates. Tell me you don't giggle just a little bit when you see E36 M3 wing mirrors on a Honda? There is some of that same attitude of some of us toward your project, whether or not that shoe fits perfectly or whether or not we understand your lofty/ultimate goals.

Last but not least be prepared for discussion when you post. After all this is a DISCUSSION forum. I'm sorry no one has given you your precious part numbers but your car and your ideas, whether some of us love them or hate them, has sparked some discussion. It has been civil and honest and I don't think you can expect more.

Cheers.
__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #28
Ray
Member
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Drives: three series
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: sfCA

Posts: 22,825
iTrader: (0)

I really like the concept of personalizing, no matter what degree of work is done.

The new M3 appears to be an amazing car and many of the body cues look breath taking.

However, some people just do not want the M3 for reasons they have. And instead of installing products that may offer poor fittment, why not use a product from the manufacturer?
Ray is offline  
0
      10-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #29
ironic
Major General
 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

haha thanks ray
__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #30
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
I'm completely unaware that this is a discussion forum and am a total alien to this world of posting. Please enlighten me further.

Also please tell me what I have planned for my own car and fully condemn me to "the crowd that tries to make the "base" 3 look like an M" before you fully understand my intentions. I won't call you a snob for implying that I have no taste and am only interested in the imitation of a higher priced car when this car has always been aimed to set trends instead of follow them.

I should throw away my one of a kind wheels, the arqray exhaust coming in from japan, the plans for endless brakes, and the plans for a wide body. It's inconceivable that I'd want to do anything with the parts off the new m3 except make my car look exactly like it. The fact that it has wider fenders, a light weight roof, and flared fenders on the bumpers to match is a straight up dumb reason to use it as a base for some custom modification.

The fact that no one has a widebody out for the e92 right now or even a bodykit that fits like oem is another reason why I shouldn't even consider using the m3's parts, oem parts, to build a high quality kit from.

My project will look exactly like the M3! Only in that way would it be reasonable, logical, and possible.

Don't try and belittle me or my project and then play angel like you never stuck your nose where it didn't belong. Obviously you understand sarcasm so I've written my response in that form.

Sorry but I don't find misrepresentation and your sarcastic comments civil. But please try and cover yourself up with more rhetoric.
I have been totally civil, polite and honest with you so I do not appreciate your over the top saracastic tone. It only makes you look bad. If you can not handle the obvious, your problem, both with regards to the purpose of this forum and to what nature M3 parts will bring to your project. I have not condemned you, second guessed you nor insulted you. I have complimented your car but questioned your honesty and logic, not your tastes nor style. Call this rhetoric all you want, I'll take that as a compliment. I think my "discussion" and patience with you is just about over.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #31
ironic
Major General
 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

for those interested:

pre-hin





hin



random









__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #32
shragon
Moderator
 
shragon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 27,450
iTrader: (7)

i personally know ironic and have seen some of his plans. trust me, he's not planning to make an m3 copy. like he said, the parts he wants just makes a better platform to start off with, plus they're oem.

people have been using m parts forever. as long as you're not sticking an m# badge on the car and/or passing your car off as an m, i see no issues with it.

like somebody already said, "some things will never change." one of those things is a minority of m owners (and future owners) who think m's are everything.

that said, i think m's are awesome machines. but i also give props to those who cleanly customize their cars, m or not.

my $0.02.
__________________
shragon is offline   No_Country
0
      10-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #33
ironic
Major General
 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I have been totally civil, polite and honest with you so I do not appreciate your over the top saracastic tone. It only makes you look bad. If you can not handle the obvious, your problem, both with regards to the purpose of this forum and to what nature M3 parts will bring to your project. I have not condemned you, second guessed you nor insulted you. I have complimented your car but questioned your honesty and logic, not your tastes nor style. Call this rhetoric all you want, I'll take that as a compliment. I think my "discussion" and patience with you is just about over.
quite the sophist are we? i don't mind looking like the big bad wolf. the fact of the matter is i've tried to explain myself already. have u really been totally polite, civil and honest with me?
__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Majority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
quite the sophist are we? i don't mind looking like the big bad wolf. the fact of the matter is i've tried to explain myself already. have u really been totally polite, civil and honest with me?
I may not represent the majority here but my closing thoughts are simply to answer your question as "yes" and secondly advise you to go post all of these OT pics in the right forum. Truly done now.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
      10-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #35
ironic
Major General
 
ironic's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, Ca

Posts: 8,342
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I may not represent the majority here but my closing thoughts are simply to answer your question as "yes" and secondly advise you to go post all of these OT pics in the right forum. Truly done now.
LOL, dude ok ok you win. Now run along haha.
__________________


Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
0
      10-20-2007, 01:49 AM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,922
iTrader: (25)

Still no part numbers......

.....and all we're left to deal with now is an overly defensive 3-series owner who can't maturely deal with criticism (..even after 4000+ posts), and who overlooks the relative civility of other members with the sole intent on talking shit.

/Close Thread!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
      10-20-2007, 04:03 AM   #37
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenland

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
I'm completely unaware that this is a discussion forum and am a total alien to this world of posting. Please enlighten me further.

Also please tell me what I have planned for my own car and fully condemn me to "the crowd that tries to make the "base" 3 look like an M" before you fully understand my intentions. I won't call you a snob for implying that I have no taste and am only interested in the imitation of a higher priced car when this car has always been aimed to set trends instead of follow them.

I should throw away my one of a kind wheels, the arqray exhaust coming in from japan, the plans for endless brakes, and the plans for a wide body. It's inconceivable that I'd want to do anything with the parts off the new m3 except make my car look exactly like it. The fact that it has wider fenders, a light weight roof, and flared fenders on the bumpers to match is a straight up dumb reason to use it as a base for some custom modification.

The fact that no one has a widebody out for the e92 right now or even a bodykit that fits like oem is another reason why I shouldn't even consider using the m3's parts, oem parts, to build a high quality kit from.

My project will look exactly like the M3! Only in that way would it be reasonable, logical, and possible.

Don't try and belittle me or my project and then play angel like you never stuck your nose where it didn't belong. Obviously you understand sarcasm so I've written my response in that form.

Sorry but I don't find misrepresentation and your sarcastic comments civil. But please try and cover yourself up with more rhetoric.
Bravo.
Stahlgrau is offline  
0
      10-20-2007, 04:05 AM   #38
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenland

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
for those interested:

pre-hin





hin



random









Wow! Your car is stunning.
Stahlgrau is offline  
0
      10-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #39
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic View Post
it makes more sense to modify fenders from prewidened rears instead of having to layer on lots of filler and extra metal starting from the 335i's fenders.

no one currently makes a cf roof.

the bumpers already match the fenders edge wise, meaning only the physical appearance would have to be modified. fitment wouldn't be so much an issue.

if you have no idea of what i have planned, don't make assumptions

if i wanted an m3 i would have bought one. there's no imitation going on here, with the amount of money that's already been put into this car and what's going to be put in it there's no other reason for it except to create a unique car. i'm glad all of you like the new v8 but i like the project car feel to the twin turbo v6.

provide me with PNs or keep your comments to yourself, i never came on here to ask for your ill-founded opinions.

what a bunch of snobs, don't worry i'm not trying to take anything away from the price tag of the m3 and your "exclusivity".

I'll say that you car is very well done. I love it. Personally, I couldn't justify spending that much skin on a 335, but that's not my choice nor is it the topic.

With that said, their are some aspects of the clean sleek look of the 335 that I think makes for a beautiful custom car. I have to give you and many of the other owners of custom 335's immense credit. I have spent time admiring many of these cars.

Hey, I for one, want to see more pics of these beautiful cars.

When owners like you push the envelope, like this, it makes for better products for all of us.
devo is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST