BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #23
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,283
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The small fuel tank is on the Euro C200 BlueTec diesel. It is able to be smaller due to the new car being 20% more fuel efficient. The new C has lost 220lbs. It is mostly due to extensive use of aluminium in the chassis and body panels. They body alone is 150lbs less than the previous gen.
this applies only to the base car as far as we know

here is the following quote from an autocar review of the new c class v6 turbo

Quote:
"The base model is 220 pounds lighter than the current car, but add in that twin-turbo V6, 4Matic and all the options thrown at our test car, and it becomes clear you're moving weight. The rear-wheel-drive C300 will be lighter on its contact patches when it arrives in Q1 of 2015, but frankly, no one's going to be buying this car to attack corners because, well, "baby S-Class."
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I hope that isn't what its going to look like. To me, the outgoing c63 looks a hell of a lot better than that.

Any links to what they are doing to lose the weight? Or statements from Merc on how much weight they will drop? 300 lbs loss still puts it at around 3650-3700 lbs
Yeah keep in mind that the new F80 M3 has yet to be weighed independently. With several option boxes ticked, a DCT transmission, and a full tank of gas, I'm guessing that the new F80 will weigh closer to 3,500-3,600 lbs (wet curb weight).

And although the W204 is heavier than the E90, the LCI model still has faster 0-60 times (3.7 seconds), quicker 1/4 times w/ higher trap speeds (guys are in the high 11s with nothing more than proper tires), and a quicker 'ring lap time (by about 4 or 5 seconds).

Most of the weight reduction with the W205 has been achieved by replacing steel on the chassis with high strength aluminum.

Further weight loss is expected in the C63 by way of the switch from an enormous 6.2L NA motor to a smaller, 4.0L biturbo V8.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #25
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,328
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Yeah keep in mind that the new F80 M3 has yet to be weighed independently. With several option boxes ticked, a DCT transmission, and a full tank of gas, I'm guessing that the new F80 will weigh closer to 3,500-3,600 lbs (wet curb weight).
It is already known it will be 3,500+ lbs.

The US curb weight listed on bmwusa was always 3,706lbs. Subtract the 80kg, new M4 will come in at ~3,530lbs (US curb weight). The 3,300lbs was a marketing exercise (dry weight).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Most of the weight reduction with the W205 has been achieved by replacing steel on the chassis with high strength aluminum.

Further weight loss is expected in the C63 by way of the switch from an enormous 6.2L NA motor to a smaller, 4.0L biturbo V8.
Yup the chassis and body weight savings will translate right over. Who knows maybe they will employ some additional weight savings as well on the AMG.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
 
Drives: YMB F80 CCBs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brickell

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (1)

Honey I Shrunk the E-Class
Tonymiabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
It is already known it will be 3,500+ lbs.

The US curb weight listed on bmwusa was always 3,706lbs. Subtract the 80kg, new M4 will come in at ~3,530lbs (US curb weight). The 3,300lbs was a marketing exercise (dry weight).

Yup the chassis and body weight savings will translate right over. Who knows maybe they will employ some additional weight savings as well on the AMG.
You're exactly right. I think some folks are going to be disappointed when the first "independent" F80/F82 weigh-ins start happening with respect to the DCT-equipped models.

I think some were expecting E46 M3-like weight figures. But like you said, while there has been some honest weight reduction by M, a lot of it is just marketing hype until production cars start to roll out and magazine tests are conducted.

And regarding the W205, there have been several test mules spied with carbon ceramic rotors. That could further aid in weight reduction. But, like the M3, I'll hold my breath until some independent tests and weigh-ins are conducted.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,283
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Yeah keep in mind that the new F80 M3 has yet to be weighed independently. With several option boxes ticked, a DCT transmission, and a full tank of gas, I'm guessing that the new F80 will weigh closer to 3,500-3,600 lbs (wet curb weight).

And although the W204 is heavier than the E90, the LCI model still has faster 0-60 times (3.7 seconds), quicker 1/4 times w/ higher trap speeds (guys are in the high 11s with nothing more than proper tires), and a quicker 'ring lap time (by about 4 or 5 seconds).

Most of the weight reduction with the W205 has been achieved by replacing steel on the chassis with high strength aluminum.

Further weight loss is expected in the C63 by way of the switch from an enormous 6.2L NA motor to a smaller, 4.0L biturbo V8.
agree on the weight, but I also don't care because I wont be getting a loaded up heavy model.

its just like e9x cars weighed anywhere from 3520 lbs to 3700 lbs depending on spec. I belive this m3 will be anywhere from 3350-3520 or so depending on spec.

I also wouldn't count on the 6.2 being heavier than the new motor. The cooling equipment, turbos and ancillaries are not going to be light...same reason the s55 isn't notably lighter than the s65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
It is already known it will be 3,500+ lbs.

The US curb weight listed on bmwusa was always 3,706lbs. Subtract the 80kg, new M4 will come in at ~3,530lbs (US curb weight). The 3,300lbs was a marketing exercise (dry weight).

Yup the chassis and body weight savings will translate right over. Who knows maybe they will employ some additional weight savings as well on the AMG.
I disagree. the curb weight is listed that way for US cars because they list the options that they expect to be sold in the US. Those included DCT, all options and a sunroof.

E9x m3s have been weighed anywhere from 3520-3700+ lbs. Same story with this car.

So sure a loaded up version will be 3500+, but less equipped models, specifically with 6mt and CF roof will be closer to 3350-3400.

We will see who is right when they weigh the cars.
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Honey I Shrunk the E-Class
I hope so. Road & Track just tested the E63-S and it ripped off a 11.5 second 1/4 mile time (trapped at over 123 mph). 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

I could live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
agree on the weight, but I also don't care because I wont be getting a loaded up heavy model.

its just like e9x cars weighed anywhere from 3520 lbs to 3700 lbs depending on spec. I belive this m3 will be anywhere from 3350-3520 or so depending on spec.

I also wouldn't count on the 6.2 being heavier than the new motor. The cooling equipment, turbos and ancillaries are not going to be light...same reason the s55 isn't notably lighter than the s65.

We will see who is right when they weigh the cars.
I will be shocked if any M3 (regardless of transmission) comes in at 3,350 lbs.

But like you said, we'll see when they're finally weighed.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #30
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
 
Drives: YMB F80 CCBs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brickell

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I hope so. Road & Track just tested the E63-S and it ripped off a 11.5 second 1/4 mile time (trapped at over 123 mph). 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.
If I wanted to drag race Id buy a 03 Cobra and for 5k in parts run mid 10s. I want a car thats fast and can tear it up around the track.
Tonymiabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,283
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I hope so. Road & Track just tested the E63-S and it ripped off a 11.5 second 1/4 mile time (trapped at over 123 mph). 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

I could live with that.



I will be shocked if any M3 (regardless of transmission) comes in at 3,350 lbs.

But like you said, we'll see when they're finally weighed.
I don't see why it wouldn't come close.

Its identical to what happened on the e9x m3.

BMW Curb Weight : 1580 KG
US Curb Weight : 1683 KG

Actual weights have ranged all the way from 3520-3700+ as I said.

Here is a C and D test with a car that had nav, leather seats, powered seats etc and still only weighed 3571 with full fluids.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...comparo-ts.pdf
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #32
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
If I wanted to drag race Id buy a 03 Cobra and for 5k in parts run mid 10s. I want a car thats fast and can tear it up around the track.
If I wanted a dedicated track car, I'd buy a Porsche.

By the way, the LCI C63 is faster around the 'ring than the E90 M3.

C63: 8:01.00

M3: 8:05.00
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
 
Drives: YMB F80 CCBs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brickell

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
If I wanted a dedicated track car, I'd buy a Porsche.

By the way, the LCI C63 is faster around the 'ring than the E90 M3.

C63: 8:01.00

M3: 8:05.00
Yeah don't doubt it. they were not making the E90 when they did LCI to AMG.
Tonymiabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #34
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,644
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Yeah don't doubt it. they were not making the E90 when they did LCI to AMG.
They were making E92 M3s in 2012. I guarantee you. I've driven (and almost bought) one.

And the LCI E90 came into production by 2011. BMW just didn't make any engine/suspension updates.

So what's the difference between the LCI model and a non-LCI E90 model? Exterior cosmetic differences? And perhaps a new iDrive system?
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #35
Rev ///Me
My V8 Brings All the Boys to the Yard.
 
Drives: Something
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Yeah don't doubt it. they were not making the E90 when they did LCI to AMG.
Yes, they were. The e90 went out of production about a year later.

Granted, it was the last year and half of production for the e9x line.
__________________
2015 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG S - Deposit Placed.
2013 BMW M3 - Sold and Missed
2008 BMW 328xi - Sold
Rev ///Me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,328
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I disagree. the curb weight is listed that way for US cars because they list the options that they expect to be sold in the US. Those included DCT, all options and a sunroof.

E9x m3s have been weighed anywhere from 3520-3700+ lbs. Same story with this car.

So sure a loaded up version will be 3500+, but less equipped models, specifically with 6mt and CF roof will be closer to 3350-3400.

We will see who is right when they weigh the cars.
I am fully aware what US curb weight consist of.

Most have figured out the 1500kg for the M4 was din weight. Fuel, but no driver and cargo.

BMW just conflicted that a little, with their recent press release about the DTM M4. They referred to the street M4 in it, saying the 1500kg was dry weight.

Fact is everyone will now be running around saying their M4 weighs 3,300lbs, due to how they marketed the car. When in fact most owners cars won't be near that. Also considering recently we learned DCT adds 89 lbs. Oh and I am willing to bet the 3,300lbs marketing included cermaic brakes, which are good for a solid 40lbs weight savings.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #37
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,283
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I am fully aware what US curb weight consist of.

Most have figured out the 1500kg for the M4 was din weight. Fuel, but no driver and cargo.

BMW just conflicted that a little, with their recent press release about the DTM M4. They referred to the street M4 in it, saying the 1500kg was dry weight.

Fact is everyone will now be running around saying their M4 weighs 3,300lbs, due to how they marketed the car. When in fact most owners cars won't be near that. Also considering recently we learned DCT adds 89 lbs. Oh and I am willing to bet the 3,300lbs marketing included cermaic brakes, which are good for a solid 40lbs weight savings.
sounds like we pretty much agree. I could care less about the posers running around saying whatever about their cars. I barely ever meet anyone who has an m3, and regardless of what they say about their m3, if its dumb ill just enjoy the conversation and laugh it off.

IIRC the ceramic brakes only save 14 lbs btw, on account of the larger rotors and mainly larger calipers.

Im getting a low option 6mt m3 (leather, HK, adaptive) and expect it to be ~ 3400 lbs. hopefully I am not disappointed.
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #38
Rev ///Me
My V8 Brings All the Boys to the Yard.
 
Drives: Something
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
sounds like we pretty much agree. I could care less about the posers running around saying whatever about their cars. I barely ever meet anyone who has an m3, and regardless of what they say about their m3, if its dumb ill just enjoy the conversation and laugh it off.

IIRC the ceramic brakes only save 14 lbs btw, on account of the larger rotors and mainly larger calipers.

Im getting a low option 6mt m3 (leather, HK, adaptive) and expect it to be ~ 3400 lbs. hopefully I am not disappointed.
You'll also get Stereo amplification of the engine as a free added bonus. Order now, and they'll even throw in a John Deer exhaust system!

Don't let this opportunity pass you by!
__________________
2015 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG S - Deposit Placed.
2013 BMW M3 - Sold and Missed
2008 BMW 328xi - Sold
Rev ///Me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #39
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,328
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
IIRC the ceramic brakes only save 14 lbs btw, on account of the larger rotors and mainly larger calipers.
Wow, the standard steel brakes must be subpar again. On the M6 the carbon ceramics save 19 kg or 41 lbs. But on the other hand the M6/M5 standard brakes are Brembo 6 piston fronts with big 15.7 in rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Im getting a low option 6mt m3 (leather, HK, adaptive) and expect it to be ~ 3400 lbs. hopefully I am not disappointed.
Low option M3 sounds good, prefer the sedan over the M4. Wish there was an idrive delete. Carbon roof on the sedan this time around is a bonus.

Last edited by BlackJetE90; 03-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #40
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,283
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Wow, the standard steel brakes must be subpar again. On the M6 the carbon ceramics save 19 kg or 41 lbs. But on the other hand the M6/M5 standard brakes are Brembo 6 piston fronts with big 15.7 in rotors.


Low option M3 sounds good, prefer the sedan over the M4. Wish there was an idrive delete. Carbon roof on the sedan this time around is a bonus.
4 piston front / 2 piston rear vs 6 front / 4 rear. That's the main weight difference.

They are a hell of a lot better than the shitty single piston sliding calipers on the current m3.

Agree, prefer the look of the m3 to the m4. Plus at 64600, it's a good value. At 75k, not so much IMO.

I think they should be pretty solid, but reviews will tell the story.
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #41
majin ssj eric
Captain
 
majin ssj eric's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA

Posts: 815
iTrader: (0)

So much hype about this C-class around here. I don't get it honestly? I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, but I still think the new 3-series looks better.
__________________
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Starfire Pearl/Flaxen w/nav
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan Sapphire/Tan w/nav
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
majin ssj eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #42
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
 
Drives: YMB F80 CCBs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brickell

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
So much hype about this C-class around here. I don't get it honestly? I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, but I still think the new 3-series looks better.
+1
Tonymiabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #43
Rev ///Me
My V8 Brings All the Boys to the Yard.
 
Drives: Something
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
So much hype about this C-class around here. I don't get it honestly? I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, but I still think the new 3-series looks better.
Different strokes for different folks. Those same people that rave about the C-Class don't understand the hype of the 3 series and think the new C-Class looks better.
__________________
2015 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG S - Deposit Placed.
2013 BMW M3 - Sold and Missed
2008 BMW 328xi - Sold
Rev ///Me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #44
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
 
Drives: YMB F80 CCBs
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brickell

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
So much hype about this C-class around here. I don't get it honestly? I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, but I still think the new 3-series looks better.
Different strokes for different folks. Those same people that rave about the C-Class don't understand the hype of the 3 series and think the new C-Class looks better.
The C class has very feminine lines to the me. Don't like how the back is all rounded out either.
Tonymiabmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST