BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-27-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
hellafied
M Powered Beast

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP MWM

Garage List
Tire Size and Spacers

I know this has been covered in tons of other threads, but I keep reading different answers based on tons of different factors.

I am running stock 19" ZCP wheels and ZCP suspension on my 2011 E92 with 15mm spacers in the front and 12mm in the rear. I am due for new tires and trying to determine the tire size. I was set on 255/35 for the front and 275/35 for the rear, but now I am reading I might have rubbing issues.

Should I stick with the stock tire sizes or can I safely go to the 255/275 setup using Pilot Super Sports?
hellafied is offline   United_States
      01-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

As you note, there are multiple factors involved. So except in cases where something is obviously going to rub or obviously going to be safe, it is not possible to predict with certainty.

With those sizes, and with the spacers you mention, I have certainly seen some guys get rubbing. So it is possible that you would also. The front is where you would be likely to have an issue.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com
      01-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
hellafied
M Powered Beast

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
As you note, there are multiple factors involved. So except in cases where something is obviously going to rub or obviously going to be safe, it is not possible to predict with certainty.

With those sizes, and with the spacers you mention, I have certainly seen some guys get rubbing. So it is possible that you would also. The front is where you would be likely to have an issue.
That was my worry. From what I have read the rears rubbing seems to be a bigger reported issue than the front (especially with passengers or weight in the boot). I was hoping someone with personal experience would jump in and give me their thoughts/experiences.

Tire Rack wouldn't happen to have a 30 day worry free return policy would they?
      01-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Numerous people run those tire sizes and there are tons of threads on this. You may have to adjust your spacer size but you will be able to make them work.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      01-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
geneatals
Ninja

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

also depends on the brand of tires..

you could run those tire sizes and just swap the spacers from front to back and rear to front..

i had rubbing with my v12's and those tire sizes in the rear with 12.5 mm spacers....I'm running 10mm now and no rubbing at all...i'm also running 12.5mm in the front with the sizes you are looking at..no rubbing with room to go bigger
      01-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
katchup
Converted Evo Driver

Drives: e92 335i

I have 275/35/19 in rear on ZCP's, 12mm spacer, lowered on swift springs, stock camber, and no way it will rub. I wish I went with 285's or 295's in back
      01-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Millie
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchup View Post
I have 275/35/19 in rear on ZCP's, 12mm spacer, lowered on swift springs, stock camber, and no way it will rub. I wish I went with 285's or 295's in back
What do you have in the front?
      01-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
tjsabec
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellafied View Post
I know this has been covered in tons of other threads, but I keep reading different answers based on tons of different factors.

I am running stock 19" ZCP wheels and ZCP suspension on my 2011 E92 with 15mm spacers in the front and 12mm in the rear. I am due for new tires and trying to determine the tire size. I was set on 255/35 for the front and 275/35 for the rear, but now I am reading I might have rubbing issues.

Should I stick with the stock tire sizes or can I safely go to the 255/275 setup using Pilot Super Sports?
I am running 255 +15 up front and 275 +10 in the rear Hankook V12 Evos with no rubbing. I have ZCP wheels but not ZCP suspension. When I did my research I kept reading that 275 +12 on ZCP rims would rub in the rear, so I went with 10mm. It seems like e90s have a little more clearance in the rear than e92s and then obviously you have the 10mm drop with the ZCP suspension. What I am getting at is from reading this forum I'd say you'd have a good chance of rubbing in the rear with your proposed set up depending on tire brand. You won't rub in the front.
tjsabec is offline   United_States
      01-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellafied View Post
That was my worry. From what I have read the rears rubbing seems to be a bigger reported issue than the front (especially with passengers or weight in the boot). I was hoping someone with personal experience would jump in and give me their thoughts/experiences.

Tire Rack wouldn't happen to have a 30 day worry free return policy would they?
There actually are some brands that have 30 day test drive periods in their warranty. Often the bigger brands like Michelin, Bridgestone, Continentnal will do that.

For tires that do not have a test drive warranty, you can return them within 30 days for any reason, but only in new condition. So you can mount them up and check the fit in a static condition, but once they are driven on, they are not returnable.

Without the spacers, or with smaller spacers, you'll probably be fine. If you must run those specific spacers you'd be likely to see at least some occasional rubbing.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com
      02-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
hellafied
M Powered Beast

Garage List
Thanks everyone, decided to stick with OE tire sizes for now.