BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Blackstone report: 2009 M3, 72k miles

I've been dreading this based on other data that I've seen, but I feel this is pretty good news.

A few caveats:
1) I'm not 100% sure on the oil change interval, I'm pretty sure its around 10k miles though. I bought it at 68k miles and the dealer had not done an oil change yet. I changed the oil (over to 0w40) when the light told me to.

2) I have no idea of the complete history of this car. I figure I may as well get a BMW service history on it soon.

3) I no longer have any reservations about strapping the blower on the car. Now I'm just waiting on the tune from Underground Tuning.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

I definitely wouldn't call this good news for sure. Swap out the 0W40 after a short interval and see your lead levels again.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I definitely wouldn't call this good news for sure. Swap out the 0W40 after a short interval and see your lead levels again.
Yup I will. Probably around 2500-3000miles. Considering the reports I've seen others post, I'd call it hella good news.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Yup I will. Probably around 2500-3000miles. Considering the reports I've seen others post, I'd call it hella good news.
Still not sure I see this is good news though? Mine with same mileage as yours was 8 ppm of lead at its worse. High 20s almost always mean bearing wear unless the oil was contaminated somehow. Anymore than that is usually from engines that have already suffered failure.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Petros
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (1)

I agree. No offense but you must be delusional if you're celebrating 27 ppm lead! Mine had 2ppm lead and I had 7000 km on the oil and 120000 km on the engine. You should forget the blower for now, switch to Mobil 1, and keep doing oil analyses. If lead stays high, and especially if copper levels begin to rise, you should replace the bearings.
Petros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,346
iTrader: (5)

What year is ths car?
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
italyix
Lieutenant
 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 550
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What year is ths car?
.
Says 2009
italyix is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I agree. No offense but you must be delusional if you're celebrating 27 ppm lead! Mine had 2ppm lead and I had 7000 km on the oil and 120000 km on the engine. You should forget the blower for now, switch to Mobil 1, and keep doing oil analyses. If lead stays high, and especially if copper levels begin to rise, you should replace the bearings.
Why is it people always say something offensive before they say 'no offense'? Is this how we rationalize being assholes to someone we don't know?

I'm not worried about it because if it was major bearing wear, I'd see a far higher copper content. I think it's probably a contaminant or the fact that the oil was changed at such a long mileage (increasing the ppm). The fact that i'm running 0w40 mobil1, I'll expect to see a lowered lead content if I'm correct. The report doesn't express any alarming text and from the data I've seen researching this subject, I don't see it as any immediate cause for alarm.

All the gloom and doom I see about bearings made me think my motor was already dead with this kind of mileage. There may be some wear, but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected (crazy amounts of copper content, etc). For 72k miles on an engine, this is about what I would expect for normal wear.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,384
iTrader: (5)

I would tend to agree that your report isn't that great ot cause to celebrate. I have a 100K mile e46 track car that has way lower lead, copper and iron levels. I would be excited if you were lower than the universal averages not way above.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Why is it people always say something offensive before they say 'no offense'? Is this how we rationalize being assholes to someone we don't know?

I'm not worried about it because if it was major bearing wear, I'd see a far higher copper content. I think it's probably a contaminant or the fact that the oil was changed at such a long mileage (increasing the ppm). The fact that i'm running 0w40 mobil1, I'll expect to see a lowered lead content if I'm correct. The report doesn't express any alarming text and from the data I've seen researching this subject, I don't see it as any immediate cause for alarm.

All the gloom and doom I see about bearings made me think my motor was already dead with this kind of mileage. There may be some wear, but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected (crazy amounts of copper content, etc). For 72k miles on an engine, this is about what I would expect for normal wear.
Pretty much everyone that has responded is trying to help you rather than being an asshole. You'll see copper when the lead has really worn down, then you'll start seeing both. And if this is not a fluke reading, you are well on your way. You've got FOUR times the average reading when it comes to lead.

This is not doom and gloom. I'd rather be cautious about it, because the consequences of getting it wrong can be catastrophic and expensive. FYI, this is what my readings were:


To consider supercharging your car without considering swapping out the current bearings is just absolutely crazy. Good luck regardless
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
SYZ
Lieutenant
 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I agree with the other posters. You definitely want to prepare for a bearing change and budget accordingly.

here's my 2009 E93

SYZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,595
iTrader: (3)

27ppm lead is one of the highest that has been posted on this board.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,699
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
As others have stated, that's definitely high for lead. We recently had a customer send us a report of 26ppm on his 2008 M3.

I would not supercharge that car without at-least changing the bearings first.

SYZ: what's the production date of your car? It's likely that you have the new 702/3 shells and the OP has the older versions. Perhaps the difference in production dates given you both have MY09 might give us a better indicator of when they were switched in production.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
27ppm lead is one of the highest that has been posted on this board.
Depends. Running or non running S65? That one that got replaced by BMW had 80 ppm.

IMHO, I'd only be happy if I see single digit lead ppm.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
SYZ
Lieutenant
 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
As others have stated, that's definitely high for lead. We recently had a customer send us a report of 26ppm on his 2008 M3.

I would not supercharge that car without at-least changing the bearings first.

SYZ: what's the production date of your car? It's likely that you have the new 702/3 shells and the OP has the older versions. Perhaps the difference in production dates given you both have MY09 might give us a better indicator of when they were switched in production.

Mine was very early. Like Oct 2008 IIRC. Also, my car can do the map updates via USB which I understand is rare for early production 2009 E9x. Got lucky I guess.
SYZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,595
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
27ppm lead is one of the highest that has been posted on this board.
Depends. Running or non running S65? That one that got replaced by BMW had 80 ppm.

IMHO, I'd only be happy if I see single digit lead ppm.
Yea I meant running.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Pretty much everyone that has responded is trying to help you rather than being an asshole.
Have to agree here, that name calling attack was uncalled for. What Petros said to you was very reasonable as it the rest of the following advise in the thread.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
regular guy
Banned
 
Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California

Posts: 1,375
iTrader: (0)

The 702/703 bearings didn't go into production until June-2010. For more information on bearing history including production dates, see section "Connecting Rod Bearing History and Part Numbers" in Bearing Wiki thread, Post-1.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892838

Last edited by regular guy; 02-13-2014 at 12:07 AM.
regular guy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,699
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Mine was very early. Like Oct 2008 IIRC. Also, my car can do the map updates via USB which I understand is rare for early production 2009 E9x. Got lucky I guess.
Wow.. I would think that 10/08 would still have the older style bearings, but maybe BMW changed this early in production and made the part number change afterward?

Also - as far as updates via USB, they all can do it if the software level has been updated. That means you have a newer navi software version than originally equipped
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST