BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

GT Haus

09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
rocket_science
In Training
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

DIY: Easily adjust rear coilovers

Hey guys. It's no secret that adjusting the rears are a PITA. The carriers tend to spin with the collar and there is little room to use a clamp to hold it so I have a better solution so no tools (other than the spanner wrench) are ever required.

If you've already installed your springs like me only to realize the PITA to adjust them, do the following:

- Wedge a flat blade screwdriver between the threaded carrier and the car. You may need to tap lightly a few times with a small hammer to get the screwdriver in far enough. See image below:
- This should create a small gap big enough to dab a bit of "KwikWeld" (sets faster than JB Weld). You don't need a ton. I used about the size of a dime.
- Using a piece or soda box cardboard to apply the glue, I only put it on the area I could get to which was basically 1/8 of the full carrier. (CAREFUL not to get any on the threads!!)
- Yank out the screwdriver and wipe off/smooth over any extra that squeezes out

Allow an hour to dry and never worry about clamps again!

NOTE: This, in no way, makes uninstall any harder. Since you are only using JB weld on an 1/8th of the full surface, they still easily pull out with a wiggle.

Name:  Rear Coils.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  122.5 KB

Last edited by rocket_science; 11-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
m3less
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11 E90 Estoril blue

Kind of interesting but I don't understand the cardboard box part? Can u post pix?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Drives: E93 M3/S14 SRT 10 viper swap

I dont understand lol, btw, are m3 rears similar to 335i rears? I figured a simpler way to lower/raise the rear coils by just removing the lower nut on the shock, having a heavy person step ontop on the rear tire while the car is in the air.. and the sping will be free, and can be raised removed or whatever you want, this saves a lot of time and most fo the pain in the butt that it is to lower/raise the rears..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
rocket_science
In Training
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3less View Post
Kind of interesting but I don't understand the cardboard box part? Can u post pix?
Cardboard Box, popsicle stick, whatever... just something thin and disposable to apply the JB Weld between the body and the Spring seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
rocket_science
In Training
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I dont understand lol, btw, are m3 rears similar to 335i rears? I figured a simpler way to lower/raise the rear coils by just removing the lower nut on the shock, having a heavy person step ontop on the rear tire while the car is in the air.. and the sping will be free, and can be raised removed or whatever you want, this saves a lot of time and most fo the pain in the butt that it is to lower/raise the rears..
I believe they are similar but if you do as I explained above, you don't have to remove the lower nut or anything. Just lift the car and adjust the coils.

This is so simple... I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining it but obviously not enough for all to understand. I'll post some pictures next time I have the car lifted.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Drives: E93 M3/S14 SRT 10 viper swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
I believe they are similar but if you do as I explained above, you don't have to remove the lower nut or anything. Just lift the car and adjust the coils.

This is so simple... I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining it but obviously not enough for all to understand. I'll post some pictures next time I have the car lifted.
kk got it! yeah pics would help too. these tips and tricks save a hell of a lot of time and labor.
      12-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3

Great DIY. My ohlins have a rubber pad between the carrier and car body but the carrier still just spins with the collar.

Wish they would just cut grooves into the carrier so you could hold it with a spanner wrench..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. So much easier then having to loosen the whole suspension.

Instagram: @jonji_pas
Appreciate 0