BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

E92 Lighting

01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
travietime
Registered

Drives: 2009, E92 Alpine White M3

Help! New! Oil pan leak?

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to inform everyone that I recently purchased my first bimmer M3 (excited as hell) exactly a month ago from the Honda dealership. The car itself was in pristine condition until I parked it at Serramonte, then it got keyed. Then comes the other problem.

About a week ago, I noticed the car started to leak - I drive very normally, with the sporadic vroom vroom just to feel the rush. Before posting, I searched the forums for similar threads to see if there was an identical issue. I wanted to post some pictures - I'm out of warranty =( Can anyone please shed some light on what this is? It's brown and sludgy, and looks like it's coming from two places.

Hope everyone had a great new years!

01-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Ra_
EuroCar Noob

Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about this. I'm currently troubleshooting my own oil leak and I fear my oil pan may be leaking also. As suggested by a few members here, you might want to check the oil filter housing and oil filler cap. I had a leak in the housing and replaced the filter and gasket.

My thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929218
      01-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
arter
collecting toys

Drives: M3 MCB

Those are the plastic bottom pieces on the car so likely the leak is somewhere up top.

Maybe they spilled in a past oil change and the plastic catch pans are just dizzling it out.
You could take the plastic bottom pieces off, clean them and see if you can see a drip on the motor. Or if the drip is now gone. Ask the dealer to do this...

As mention earlier, look at the oil cap and the filter housing
      01-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
travietime
Registered

Drives: 2009, E92 Alpine White M3

Thanks for the insight guys. The oil is slowly leaking. I monitor the oil level from the computer and it doesn't seem to be going down too fast. Question is, will I be able to take it 200-300 miles tomorrow. I'm getting it checked out next week. Stealership wants $130 for diagnostic =(
      01-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Those are the plastic bottom pieces on the car so likely the leak is somewhere up top.

Maybe they spilled in a past oil change and the plastic catch pans are just dizzling it out.
You could take the plastic bottom pieces off, clean them and see if you can see a drip on the motor. Or if the drip is now gone. Ask the dealer to do this...

As mention earlier, look at the oil cap and the filter housing

Yep, you need to remove the underbody panels and look at where the leak is. The panels will conceal the true source.