BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

12-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
sunsweet
Captain
Rep

Drives: '13 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Are the exhaust tips oily on the inside? Also, get someone to drive behind you for a bit: is there any blue smoke on decel, accel, idle, etc?
Inside the exhaust tips is not oily feels dry. It's black from soot and does get on your fingertip. No occasion to team up and test smoke color on decel,accel, idle yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I really think this a product of the finicky electronic oil level gauge. Especially since you do not have a visual leak. If your engine were burning the oil I believe you would see a lot of soot and a lot of smoke.
Not sure what is considered "a lot of soot" versus just black inside the exhausts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
It's hard to determine, certainly the actual oil consumption that OP reports is borderline close to the 100 ml per 100 miles that BMW still allows fors M cars.
Annoying but that's the way at the moment.

I once had an Alfa Romeo with a blown engine that drank oil, but there was no blue smoke from the exhaust either. Only a compression test showed the damage.

One thing worth considering is that these engines take a long time to run in, certainly oil consumption can change a lot over the first 10 K miles. Also, OP seems to move the car gently at the moment, but a few extended runs with WOT are also healthy for the engine. For what it is worth, the oil consumption in my car seems to have gone down since the first track weekend of the car.

Good luck!
I did have some mildly spirited drives (as much as backroads driving would allow) and strong accel on ramps but not WOT yet. I have hit 7000+ a couple of times. Will do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
You can also pull a plug or two and check for oil burning, and/or examine the back of a few throttle plates.
I probably can do that and post pictures but I am not too confident getting dirty on my new engine. If that were my honda i would be all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I always have ny oil reading on my dash. Thats the reading i leave it on. I also have my number 3 button as oil read out level on the idrive screen.

It helps me to understand when it drops and more importantly when my car is properly warmed up (when car begins to read oil level).

I noticed on longer unspirited drives (long hwy cruises going granny mode) that the oil may drop - strange. I suggest giving your car some exercise and let it breathe since 1200mi service was done. Is your car manual? If it is they should have done a transmission fluid swap too.

Let it run hard a bit and see if oil consumption is just as bad. Many on here have had oil level drop pre1200mi service so i wouldnt worry. If it drops to halfway, i suggest putting in only 200-250mL at a time and giving the car a few days for a proper readout.
I have memorized idrive oil reading on #7 button too. I'll monitor at what warm up temp the first oil level reading comes in, thanks for the info. It's a manual and I got the transmission oil changed at 1200 miles (well, they forgot but I caught it and had them do it). Yes the 2nd oil drop to min occured after a long highway drive. One thought could be that the sensor needs long distance cruise drives to adjust (+2 oil pumps). IDK.

Question: I only used ~650 ml on my #2 top off and kept the remaining oil in the bottle (closed). Is it ok to use that oil for top offs or should I start with a new bottle each time ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Candide13
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Question: I only used ~650 ml on my #2 top off and kept the remaining oil in the bottle (closed). Is it ok to use that oil for top offs or should I start with a new bottle each time ?
No problem with that, oil does not attract water like the power steering fluid. It might leak out of the bottle though....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Candide13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I did have some mildly spirited drives (as much as backroads driving would allow) and strong accel on ramps but not WOT yet. I have hit 7000+ a couple of times. Will do more.

My subjective experience was that these (enjoyable!) mildly spirited drives with occasional visits to higher than 7000 rpm do not stress this beast of an engine in the least; also, my oil level just kept sinking steadily whether I cruised or put this kind of mild spirit out there. My guess was that the car used something like half a litre over 1500 miles in that phase.

Then the track weekend put several hundred miles on the car, with long many times repeated WOT accelerations from 4K to 8K. After that the oil level has not budged from max for more than 2000 miles, whatever that means (touch wood)!

It's basically hard or impossible to get this engine rolling legally on our streets and highways.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
sunsweet
Captain
Rep

Drives: '13 ZCP factory order

puzzling update, my oil level has gone back up to exactly max after being exactly at the middle level for nearly a month and several hundreds of miles driven since ! ( no, i didn't add any oil since)
Interestingly I did drive the car more spiritedly with several episodes at WOT in the last few days. I do not know what to make of it. Before blaming the sensor let's not forget there are 2 oil pumps with the oil pan split in parts and the oil level sensor tube is in the main reservoir. I think the oil scavenging pump is probably working harder when you WOT the car which result in more of the oil where the level gets measured.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Candide13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
puzzling update, my oil level has gone back up to exactly max after being exactly at the middle level for nearly a month and several hundreds of miles driven since ! ( no, i didn't add any oil since)
Interestingly I did drive the car more spiritedly with several episodes at WOT in the last few days. I do not know what to make of it. Before blaming the sensor let's not forget there are 2 oil pumps with the oil pan split in parts and the oil level sensor tube is in the main reservoir. I think the oil scavenging pump is probably working harder when you WOT the car which result in more of the oil where the level gets measured.
Who knows how things will pan out, but one can take this as an early Christmas present !
Appreciate 0