BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

10-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
vastano
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Likely moving to Denver

Fellas,

Long story short, I was off-boarded (the nice way of saying laid off) by my company last friday. One of the opportunities that has come available is in downtown Denver. Since i've never been to Denver, it'd be nice to have someone to 'know' out there to ask about areas to go/stay away from, etc.

Ive yet to hear anything negative about Denver. Hoping you guys help make this decision easy. Any one else thats been out there, feel free to post about things to do and experiences out there.

I have to let them know by tomorrow.
      10-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M

It really is a great place to live. I've been here since the tender age of 2, when my dad got stationed at Lowry Air Force Base (since closed and developed for housing).

There's a ton to do, pretty much regardless of what you like to do:
  • Good restaurants for the foodies, any cuisine
  • Pretty much every college & professional sport: Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Football, Basketball, Lacrosse
  • Open space for your own sports: cycling (road and mountain), running, hiking, paragliding, rock climbing, skiing, snowshoeing
  • You can track your car here with 3 tracks within 90 minutes of dtown Denver... or take it to the drags if that's your thing
  • Decent shopping
  • Starbucks and Home Depots everywhere so you can get hyped up and remodel your house in the same day. Every day.

Not to mention you get all your seasons here, including blue skies that go on forever. Cost of living is moderate (we're no Kansas, but we're not NYC either). I may move to other places in my lifetime (nothing's pulled me away yet!), but this will always be my home. GL with your decision!
      10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
vastano
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow! Thats exactly the stuff I wanted to hear. I'm currently looking in the Cherry Creek area as far as living goes, but could be swayed to other places. Like I said, work is downtown and i'd like to avoid driving if possible, perhaps take the light rail to/from the office.

I actually made the decision this afternoon and confirmed the position there. The latest i'll be out there will be Nov. 4, but it will likely be earlier.
      10-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Denver (and pretty much all other urban areas of Colorado) is awesome.

Sorry about your layoff, these shit happens. Hopefully, everything works out for the better for you! Being flexible and moving to where the good jobs are (instead of staying in your area and finding something that is not a good match) is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
I actually made the decision this afternoon and confirmed the position there. The latest i'll be out there will be Nov. 4, but it will likely be earlier.
Cool! Like mdosu said, good for you being able to pick up & go where the jobs are. If you'll be working downtown, CC is a super easy commute. If you head out to the 'burbs for more budget-friendly housing, you can still very likely get onto light rail that way too. I have some good friends who commute from Parker - Dtown every day that way.
      10-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

whoa! Nov 4 is in NO TIME, considering you have to move a household. Good luck! If you drive, document your trip like I did:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894582
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
vastano
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm a single guy, renting a place currently, so I'm lucky enough to not have to move a whole lot. My girlfriend will be coming out in January and looking for a new job which is when we'll make the big move. We'll be consolidating both of our things and moving into an apartment/condo. Ill be towing the M behind the moving truck and she'll be following me.

However, until then, i'll be living in corporate housing/hotels/extended stays, which ever is the most convenient/cost-friendly. Of course if there were someone here who has a furnished bedroom they'd like to rent out, that'd be nice too...
      10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Welcome (almost) to Denver. Let us know if you want recs on where to live. If you're younger and single there are better places to look than CC. It's a nice place (I live less than a mile from there) but if you're young and single you might find it a little boring. Kind of depends on what you want and how adventurous you want to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 MR E90 M3

Yeah, Denver is a great place to live with lots of thigs to do. And as someone already mentioned the sunny days never end. About Cherry Creek, nice area, pretty expensive though and the streets are in bad shape. I've always wondered why. People living in this area are pretty wealthy and the money they pay in taxes every year based on income is significant. I wonder if they ever call the city to complain about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
vastano
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Welcome (almost) to Denver. Let us know if you want recs on where to live. If you're younger and single there are better places to look than CC. It's a nice place (I live less than a mile from there) but if you're young and single you might find it a little boring. Kind of depends on what you want and how adventurous you want to be.
Ill take whatever suggestions I can get! A little about us:
We're are not really partiers other than the occasional 2-3am night once every few months. We're laid back people but usually turn it in early unless there is a special event. We are big foodies and love trying new restaurants & beers. The biggest thing I want is to be accessible to everything without really needing to drive. Ideally, i'd like to be able to walk to the light rail, a few restaurants, coffee shop, etc.
      10-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
toddcc1
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
I'm a single guy, renting a place currently, so I'm lucky enough to not have to move a whole lot. My girlfriend will be coming out in January and looking for a new job which is when we'll make the big move. We'll be consolidating both of our things and moving into an apartment/condo. Ill be towing the M behind the moving truck and she'll be following me.

However, until then, i'll be living in corporate housing/hotels/extended stays, which ever is the most convenient/cost-friendly. Of course if there were someone here who has a furnished bedroom they'd like to rent out, that'd be nice too...
Too bad about the job...lucky for you though, you're moving to a state where 69% of the days are filled with sunshine. Ahead of San Diego! We get snow, but accumulation is minimal. Capitol Hill is a good area. Cherry Creek is pretty congested, as it's right by the mall and the I-25 on ramps. Makes me feel like I'm in LA when I'm on Colorado; which is the main street through Cherry Creek. But there "downtown" area has some good eats...a little high society for me on a consistent basis.

A little less costly area, but still close to D-town and has pockets of good bars and restaurants, Stapleton, North Capital Hill and Lowry. There are strong family vibes in Stapleton and Lowry; but still good spots. N. Capitol Hill is a transition area, mostly older folks selling their original homes and investors coming in and remodeling...then renting them out to younger folks. I think we paid $1200/month for a 3 bed, 1 bath. That would be the 20th/S. Monaco area, close to Stapleton. There's actually a sushi spot called "Blue Fin", started by one of the original owners of "Sushi Den", which is a top sushi joint in Denver and the Berkshire. If you like gastro-foodie-blow-your-mind creations, this is the spot. I lived there for a few years. Quick 10-15 cab ride into downtown, super easy with apps like Uber...and you're close to one of the most legit BMW/Audi shops in town...Avalon Motorsports.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Good luck, man.

I don't live in Denver, but I work out there pretty consistently about every 6-8 weeks or so for a week at a time. I must admit I love it out there and would consider a move if I didn't have so many other things tying me here at the moment!

Anyway, if money allows you could do worse than downtown Denver to live. It's not cheap though... Cherry Creek is not bad but can be pricey at times. One of my best friends moved out there a couple of years ago... we tend to hang out when I'm in town and he's not traveling on business! Anyway, he got a place around West 6th and Broadway in downtown Denver. There are some REALLY good places around there (he's in a condo). If you want a house there's also nearby Washington Park area. Both put you close to the city and also close to some really awesome places to go out. Really got a kick out of the Punch Bowl Social on S Broadway when I was there two weeks ago.

If you're a bit more adventurous and decide you would be OK driving into work, then there's always Aurora or even Boulder. Both a great places... though some areas of Aurora I always find "meh".

Oh... and as a last note; do yourself a favour and have breakfast some morning after you arrive at Mona's. It's VERY popular, parking's a pain but it's a nice little place I always go to on my last day before I get the plane home. It's become a little bit of a mecca for me
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
When one door closes, another door opens...sucks to hear about the circumstances regarding relocation and I hope all works out concerning your living arrangements in Denver. I am located south of Denver and don't have any value to add in terms of where to look, but I am looking forward to another ///M owner in this part of the country
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
vastano
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the advice fellas!

UPDATE:

In the shittiest of all moves, my recruiter calls me yesterday to tell me the project i'd be on was pushed until January so Denver doesn't need me until then. I'm still going to look for other jobs, but if nothing comes around before then i'll still be moving out there come January.
      10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Wow - sucks. Good luck!!