BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Was your ED repaired or serviced at the VPC ?

My 2013.9 M3 Coupe had around 1050 miles at drop-off in Europe. Just as I was driving that time, the vehicle on-board computer told me to schedule the 1200 service appointment with my service dept. Nothing out of the ordinary. This had me thinking it might get done at the VPC since they also do repairs. Fast forward 8 weeks later and my car has left VPC and sure enough I asked my dealer to check on it and he made a vehicle inquiry on the system and found out that VPC did my 1200 service. That is all great but I have not received a detailed line items list of part numbers for the service performed. An ED car is no longer a new car when it arrives in the US and therefore any service work should be disclosed to the owner including those done at VPC (please notice I am not talking about repairs due to shipping damages which do not have to be disclosed to the dealer or the owner).

The 1200 miles service consist of four items for 6MT M3 and two for DCT M3 cars :
-Motor oil and filter change, differential oil change, transmission oil change (6MT only), transmission filter remove and clean (6MT only).

Those of you who have been attentive on the forum have read that it is not unusual for some dealers to have missed one or several of the required service items in the list (the diff oil or the MT tranny oil usually).

Ok, i have stated the background for my question. Here is the question. If you have had some work done on your car at VPC that is either the 1200 service mile or some mechanical work due to a manufacturer recall service (applies to M5, 335i, etc.. for fuel pump etc..) have you received a line item description of the work done with FP parts number ? I think you should have. But I just want to verify. I do not know how many ED M3 had their 1200 service done at VPC.

I am not talking about VPC repairs for minor shipping damages, we already know these do not have to be disclosed.

Last edited by sunsweet; 10-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
5,830
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
I have never read about VPC doing service before. Did not know that was possible.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
I have never read about VPC doing service before. Did not know that was possible.
Yes me neither on the M3 forum. But I have on the M5 forum when there was a recall for replacing a part (fuel pump ??) For people whose ED M5's were in transit the recall service got handled by VPC before the cars reached the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

anyone doing ED had VPC do their 1200 miles service and notify you ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
anyone doing ED had VPC do their 1200 miles service and notify you ?
I was not notified, but my dealer showed me the work had already been performed by the VPC.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I was not notified, but my dealer showed me the work had already been performed by the VPC.
sorry I am not familiar with the active hybrid 2013, are you referring to the break in service for that car ? Do you have records showing what work was done ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
sorry I am not familiar with the active hybrid 2013, are you referring to the break in service for that car ? Do you have records showing what work was done ?
I was referring to the 1200 mile service done at the VPC on my ED '12 E92 M3 in January 2012. There were no paper records, only what was stored on the key, and/or whatever computer service record system BMW uses.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I was referring to the 1200 mile service done at the VPC on my ED '12 E92 M3 in January 2012. There were no paper records, only what was stored on the key, and/or whatever computer service record system BMW uses.
Yes, did you ask for a printout of the information recorded by the VPC for the 1200 miles service performed on your ED '12 E92 M3 ? I am in the same situation. At the VPC stage ED cars are different from other cars in that they are already owned by customers and therefore any work/service done on them must be disclosed to owners at their asking. I just want to check that they didn't miss one of the 3 oil changes (this occasionaly happens at US dealerships, and if VPC seldom do M3 1200 miles service there is a probability they will miss something too).

There should be 4 line items :

1 11-42-7-837-997 SET OIL FILTER
9 07-51-0-009-420 TWS SYNTHETIC OIL (motor oil)
3 83-22-1-467-993 DIFFERENTIAL OIL
4 83-22-0-406-941 1/2 LITER (transmission oil)

If either one of us can verify it, it would be good. My SA will contact VPC to try to get that info.

Last edited by sunsweet; 10-26-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Yes, did you ask for a printout of the information recorded by the VPC for the 1200 miles service performed on your ED '12 E92 M3 ? I am in the same situation. At the VPC stage ED cars are different from other cars in that they are already owned by customers and therefore any work/service done on them must be disclosed to owners at their asking. I just want to check that they didn't miss one of the 3 oil changes (this occasionaly happens at US dealerships, and if VPC seldom do M3 1200 miles service there is a probability they will miss something too).

There should be 4 line items :

1 11-42-7-837-997 SET OIL FILTER
9 07-51-0-009-420 TWS SYNTHETIC OIL (motor oil)
3 83-22-1-467-993 DIFFERENTIAL OIL
4 83-22-0-406-941 1/2 LITER (transmission oil)

If either one of us can verify it, it would be good. My SA will contact VPC to try to get that info.
I did not ask for a print out, but saw verification of the service on my SA computer screen. I no longer have that car, so I'm afraid I would not be of much help, other than relating my experience with the VPC.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I did not ask for a print out, but saw verification of the service on my SA computer screen. I no longer have that car, so I'm afraid I would not be of much help, other than relating my experience with the VPC.
Thanks for your reply anyway. I guess you did not see the details on that screen, did you ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Thanks for your reply anyway. I guess you did not see the details on that screen, did you ?
I don't recall the specifics, other than what I saw satisfied my curiosity that the 1200 mile service was done appropriately. If ya can't trust the VPC to do it right, can ya even trust the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I don't recall the specifics, other than what I saw satisfied my curiosity that the 1200 mile service was done appropriately. If ya can't trust the VPC to do it right, can ya even trust the dealer?
I trust the VPC more but with a trace of the work done at your dealer at least you can spot if they missed anything. Besides dealers do nearly all M3 break-in services and VPC very rarely.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
alee0729
Lieutenant
alee0729's Avatar
5
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2001 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

I dropped off in Frankfurt with 1425 miles. Picked up with the service indicator reset, and 1200 mile service performed by the VDC. I looked at the screen showing the items corresponding to the 1200 mile service at my first dealer stop, so was satisfied.

VPC is the best place to do it in my opinion. Owned and operated by BMW. They do it by the book there. If your car arrives at the VDC with any issues, codes, or service due warnings, it gets addressed before it leaves the shop.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 43K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I trust the VPC more but with a trace of the work done at your dealer at least you can spot if they missed anything. Besides dealers do nearly all M3 break-in services and VPC very rarely.
I think you've got it backwards. EDs happen every day of the week. Probably half of those ED'ers go 1000+ miles, hence need the 1200 mile service done (the VPC doesn't seem to care if you've hit exactly 1200 before they do it).

So....it would be a very safe assumption to assume the VPC does several 1200 mile services on M-cars per day. A dealer won't be doing several a day!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST