BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
miamiflgator
Private
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fl

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

F10 M5 Knob installation: Fail!

UPDATE: Fixed it: It snaps back in just like the stock does.

I read the DIY and gave it a go. I swapped the base and cut four holes (twice larger than needed after reading the posts). It didn't snap in at all.
Then I cut more and glued it so that it would be slimmer. Even worked out the edges. It does not even stay there.
Can anyone identify the problem just by checking the picture?

The base was did not come out easily by the way, it was snug.

It shifts very good by the way, better than what I was expecting. Of course it looks like crap.

I'm thinking about putting the stock back and change the knobs only, but wanted to check if there is any help...

My 2 cents: Do not change the base unless you have time to waste.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by miamiflgator; 10-13-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Fixed it
miamiflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

I could use my Alcantara boot but I used the leather.

I would have to pry out the staples and pull apart the alcantara from the plastic. Then re-glue and staple to OEM plastic. Done.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

Damn, I just ordered the M5 shift knob thinking the DIY was easy...really not looking forward to a 2+hr PITA installation....maybe I'll pay to have some aftermarket shop deal with it.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
miamiflgator
Private
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fl

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

I'd just replace the knob and not the base, that seems much easier.
miamiflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
miamiflgator
Private
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fl

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

FIXED IT

I fixed it and took about 30 minutes. Good news I found a way so that it snaps back in just like the stock and won't move a bit. I trimmed everything so that the cut is not visible and glued the leather: not the sides but the top!
I can take pics and do a DIY but I don't if anyone will have the same problem. Plus IMO: don't swap the base.
miamiflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

Is that easy to do? What about the electrical connector for the lighting? thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiflgator View Post
I'd just replace the knob and not the base, that seems much easier.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
miamiflgator
Private
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fl

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Connector is very easy to do, just look at the DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Is that easy to do? What about the electrical connector for the lighting? thx
miamiflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
jawwadh
Addicted to Speed.
 
jawwadh's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e90 m3, 08 tl-S, 13 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago.

Posts: 672
iTrader: (4)

I have the same issue, how did U fix it?
__________________


08 JZB e90 M3 6MT- Dinan/kn/IND/BMWP
13 AW 328xi Msport 8AT
jawwadh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

Yes, as others have said, this is a PITA install. Not that it can't be done, just that it is rather cumbersome. I did stuff the boot underneath the ring, but not exactly satisfied with the fit....think if I glue it, it will fit perfectly!. The knob does feel better and I like the "rougher" leather vs the old m3 knob.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Yes, as others have said, this is a PITA install. Not that it can't be done, just that it is rather cumbersome. I did stuff the boot underneath the ring, but not exactly satisfied with the fit....think if I glue it, it will fit perfectly!. The knob does feel better and I like the "rougher" leather vs the old m3 knob.
I just installed my F30 M Performance knob and brand new shift boot in 5 minutes. Not a PITA at all. I have gone through 5 OEM shiftboots/knobs..

Any shiftknob for the E9X M3 is 5-20 minutes max. I have done all of them. Not hard at all.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

You must be significantly more talented than I. It was going very quickly, ie 10 mins between the cutting of two boots, removal, plug in etc, it just was stuffing the M5 boot underneath..that was pretty difficult given the different shape and where the boot is cut, but again, if I glue it think it will be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I just installed my F30 M Performance knob and brand new shift boot in 5 minutes. Not a PITA at all. I have gone through 5 OEM shiftboots/knobs..

Any shiftknob for the E9X M3 is 5-20 minutes max. I have done all of them. Not hard at all.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
You must be significantly more talented than I. It was going very quickly, ie 10 mins between the cutting of two boots, removal, plug in etc, it just was stuffing the M5 boot underneath..that was pretty difficult given the different shape and where the boot is cut, but again, if I glue it think it will be perfect.
Not more talented just done a ton of them and got it down to a science now. lol I even traded a cut boot/shiftknob a few weeks back and the owner installed in like 2 minutes. lol


Last edited by Endless619; 10-21-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

How do you like the M performance one compared to others you tried? I almost pulled the trigger on this, but wanted the lighting effect of the M5 knob, but like the carbon fiber and alcantara look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Not more talented just done a ton of them and got it down to a science now. lol I even traded a cut boot/shiftknob a few weeks back and the owner installed in like 2 minutes. lol



FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
How do you like the M performance one compared to others you tried? I almost pulled the trigger on this, but wanted the lighting effect of the M5 knob, but like the carbon fiber and alcantara look.
I like it. It's heavier than the E46 Performance shift knob. Other than that its pretty much the same piece with added carbon and darker alcantara.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

So I finally completed the M5 Shift Knob. Definitely worth gluing to the base to get the best fit (about 1 hr work in total). Cut the leather back as much as possible so that the leather boot goes just until the bottom end of the base. I used shoe glue (Shoe Goo brand), which worked perfectly as if you get some glue on the boot, it rubs right off. Used the binder clips as others have used to set the boot into the glue on the base. Once completed, snapped right into place and looks really good. In stuffing the boot under the base ring (before gluing), I never got a great fit and looked like there was too much "slack". By gluing, you can really control things nicely for a perfect fit and even if you mess up, because it's shoe glue it can peel right off. And as others have said, the shifter feels awesome!
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
So I finally completed the M5 Shift Knob. Definitely worth gluing to the base to get the best fit (about 1 hr work in total). Cut the leather back as much as possible so that the leather boot goes just until the bottom end of the base. I used shoe glue (Shoe Goo brand), which worked perfectly as if you get some glue on the boot, it rubs right off. Used the binder clips as others have used to set the boot into the glue on the base. Once completed, snapped right into place and looks really good. In stuffing the boot under the base ring (before gluing), I never got a great fit and looked like there was too much "slack". By gluing, you can really control things nicely for a perfect fit and even if you mess up, because it's shoe glue it can peel right off. And as others have said, the shifter feels awesome!
Nice... Pics?
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
bk20627
Captain
 
bk20627's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 936
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to bk20627 Send a message via MSN to bk20627
if you use 3M super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive, than no problem.
took me about 10 min.
Attached Images
   
__________________
bk20627 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk20627 View Post
if you use 3M super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive, than no problem.
took me about 10 min.
Looks good.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
miamiflgator
Private
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: fl

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

I was going to post pics but someone beat me to it
First: not all the rings/boot are created the same, I have seen another car and you can take it out and put it back in a second. It's impossible with mine, no leather should be tucked in.
AND glue is a MUST. It looks much better also because you can cut the leather so that you will have no wrinkles etc. If you tuck it under, there is no way because M5 boot is larger on the base.
It's awesome by the way, the first mod I'd do.
miamiflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,366
iTrader: (0)

Here is one



Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Nice... Pics?
Attached Images
 
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #21
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,570
iTrader: (0)

I like the mperf one. Endless that looks nice. May have to do mine once the leather goes to shit.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,285
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
ive done this to my friends car and no issues. pretty darn easy to be honest. if your anal maybe 30 minutes but can be done less than that.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST