BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Strasse Wheels

08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post

I had my exhaust shop close to me take out the secondary cats and replace it with pipes with a small "crush" at the end so it would fit in the x pipe.

It does NOT drone, and it actually sounds very very good. Has more of a rumble and you can definitely hear its presence under load. I don't feel significant power gains, but it feels more "free."

Just had the same exact thing done to my car. Sounds really aggressive with the oem mod!
      01-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #46
RedNeck_D
Private

Drives: E92, MKI MR2, Harley 48

I did this today, Eric thank you for sharing this info!
RedNeck_D is offline   United_States
      04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #47
beemerboy305
Lieutenant

Drives: M3 E90

has anyone got proven gains with doing this ?? is it for sure not gonna cause back pressure by removing that and not just replacing with a straight pipe
beemerboy305 is offline   United_States
      04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
has anyone got proven gains with doing this ?? is it for sure not gonna cause back pressure by removing that and not just replacing with a straight pipe
No gains. This is just for sound.
      05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #49
s4play
Car Tuning Geek

Drives: too many rides....

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
OP: First awesome write-up!

I plan to do the same thing and wanted to ask you a few things:

a) What rear muffler are you running?

b) IF stock how much increased sound did you get by removing the secondary cats and do you think you gained any power?

c) I'm debating right now to gut the cats or just cut them out since I'm not too worried about the visual part. Would the final effect be the same?

d) If you are running an aftermarket rear muffler, what brand and how's your sound before and after gutting the secondary cats?

Kudos great job, I want to try this before spending $2k+ on a pipe as I prefer to dump that into my Brembo's
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
      05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #50
s4play
Car Tuning Geek

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by erics02wrx View Post
I have the UUC / Corsa exhaust and I was afraid of the same thing (being to loud) but it was barely noticeable. Its a little louder from the outside of the car but on the inside its maybe 5% louder, if that. I love it!

One more question, have you thought of removing the OEM resonators as well or would that trip the CEL? I guess I'll do one at a time to get the sound I want but wondering if anyone has removed the secondary cats + resonators on a stock X-pipe?
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
      05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
OP: First awesome write-up!

I plan to do the same thing and wanted to ask you a few things:

a) What rear muffler are you running?

b) IF stock how much increased sound did you get by removing the secondary cats and do you think you gained any power?

c) I'm debating right now to gut the cats or just cut them out since I'm not too worried about the visual part. Would the final effect be the same?

d) If you are running an aftermarket rear muffler, what brand and how's your sound before and after gutting the secondary cats?

Kudos great job, I want to try this before spending $2k+ on a pipe as I prefer to dump that into my Brembo's
I am not the OP obviously, but the 2ndary cats are essentially HFC (200 cell I think). So removing them, you will gain some power, but probably not that much. I am not sure on sound...

If you don't want to spend $2k+ on a pipe, may I suggest Test Pipes to remove the primary? ~$400 plus some way of removing CEL if that annoys you (couple different ways of doing this with the Tune being the most expensive.)

Just point the thought in your head if you didn't already have it!!
      05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #52
s4play
Car Tuning Geek

thanks!

I'm getting my work done tomorrow and will report back
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
      10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #53
Kunman
Second Lieutenant

Drives: m3

what if i did this mod + my oem exhaust mod?

would it be way too loud?
      02-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #54
erics02wrx
?

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
what if i did this mod + my oem exhaust mod?

would it be way too loud?
I think this mod would be a great addition to the OEM exhaust mod.....our cars are way to quiet in stock form, so actually being able to hear this amazing V8 sound come from a completely stock looking exhaust is really cool! By doing this mod in combination with your OEM exhaust mod, it will probably make the car sound more like an exotic. I have now lived with this mod for a few years and still never regret doing it, in fact it's still one of my most favorite mods that I've done.

Ordered no options......pure and simple!
erics02wrx is offline   United_States
      02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #55
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics02wrx View Post
I think this mod would be a great addition to the OEM exhaust mod.....our cars are way to quiet in stock form, so actually being able to hear this amazing V8 sound come from a completely stock looking exhaust is really cool! By doing this mod in combination with your OEM exhaust mod, it will probably make the car sound more like an exotic. I have now lived with this mod for a few years and still never regret doing it, in fact it's still one of my most favorite mods that I've done.
I just switched back to my oem x pipe and an MPE…I have a feeling this would make the MPE sound even better as it sound fantastic but just isn't loud enough for me.
      02-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #56
yellow munson

Drives: e91 super wagon

can you just get by with simply wire up o2 simulator? I know old e46 I had worked .. but I havent tried or anything on new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I am not the OP obviously, but the 2ndary cats are essentially HFC (200 cell I think). So removing them, you will gain some power, but probably not that much. I am not sure on sound...

If you don't want to spend $2k+ on a pipe, may I suggest Test Pipes to remove the primary? ~$400 plus some way of removing CEL if that annoys you (couple different ways of doing this with the Tune being the most expensive.)

Just point the thought in your head if you didn't already have it!!
      02-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #57
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow munson View Post
can you just get by with simply wire up o2 simulator? I know old e46 I had worked .. but I havent tried or anything on new one..
I am not too familiar with this. There is something that Burger Tuning makes I think (I feel like I read that somewhere on this forum) which would essentially be a simulator. People have also used spacers to pull out the O2 sensor with different success rates. And finally one of the vendors here makes an O2 sensor that is surrounded by a cat (call it a mini cat or something like that) which is plug and play as well.

All that being said, if you are eliminating the primary cats, the best is to get a tune and extract the extra power and get the other benefits of the tune.
      04-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #58
jamesching
Registered

Drives: bmw 525i e60 2005

?

i know this was from 3 years ago but i still wanna ask...ive heard that deleting the secondary cats will cause u to fail emissions im in nj and pretty sure they just do a OBD port test but not sure...is this true because i want to do this also if i get secondary cat delete pipes will that cause a cel
      04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #59
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
i know this was from 3 years ago but i still wanna ask...ive heard that deleting the secondary cats will cause u to fail emissions im in nj and pretty sure they just do a OBD port test but not sure...is this true because i want to do this also if i get secondary cat delete pipes will that cause a cel
the 2nd cats are over kill. they do not cause a CEL and you should still pass a emission test with them gone!