BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM Sport

10-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: S65B40

REVIEW: Evolve R Servotronic Mapping

First modification review

Background: I purchased my lightly used 2009 M3 for a great price back in January of this year. After driving around for months stock, I felt the car could use some improvement in power, steering, and a slightly clunky DCT system. The OEM steering, specifically, it too light for my taste, but improves significantly in feedback and weight in M-mode, but the Servotronic "M" programming lacks smoothness in it's assist, especially at lower speeds where it magically can become jerky with its assist for some reason

Decision: After a couple months of research, I decided to go with Evolve after hearing and reading positive reviews about them on the E9x and E46 M3 platforms. At the time, Evolve had an $899 special for their Evolve R E-flash tune, Servotronic remapping, and a GTS-DCT software. I was hesitant at first since I wanted to partake on a group buy with a tune + test pipes that was currently going on. After extensive conversations with Imran@Evolve via PM, he offered me a 10% discount on the package to compensate for the Evolve R tune + purchasing my own test pipes to equal the same amount as the other group buys going on (which will soon turn into a 15% discount thanks for Imran including me in on the most recent group buy price, thanks again! )

Servo specs:
- I just wanted a very firm and direct on-center steering feel similar to the OEM "M" button so I don't have to press the "M" button every time I start the car.

The Installation: Once I ordered, I got my tracking information that very night, and the package arrived neatly packed 2 days later. I followed the easy to follow instructions to install the software and proceeded to read my OEM ECU program. This process was painless, as the interface is very user friendly. I sent my file to Evolve and the very next day, Sal emailed me a tune to try out (this review will come later as the final details of my specific tune is being worked on by Sal, I install my test pipes this Monday Oct. 14th, 2013, and I get on the dyno with my finalized settings). He then emailed me another tune to days later, on a Saturday no less ( ), that contained his latest settings and the "renowned" servo tune.

The Feedback: One word, AMAZING! On center feel and steering feedback from the tires & road is ever present, similar to the "M' mode in the OEM steering tune, but the smoothness in "gain" as a crank the wheel left or right as I enter a corner makes the steering response noticably more positive and the assist natural in feel. Sal tuned the system so that at parking lot speeds, the steering wheel is lighter (I have underdrive pulleys so it was stiff as a rock before the tune at these speeds). As speed increases, it progressively gets heavier; at 30mph, the steering wheel is appropriately heavy, stable, and requires absolutely zero corrections as I sail down the road. The OEM mapping would occasionally require small corrections, unbecoming of a "sports" sedan. With the magic of Sal@Evolve, it gets heavier at speeds above 60mph vs. the OEM "M" mode, making the car extremely stable vs. before where I would often make small corrections on the highway unless I hit the "M" button. If I do hit the "M" button with the Evolve Servotronic mapping, it gets even heavier . Since I uploaded the Evolve Servotronic mapping, I haven't found the need to touch that little button, the steering wheel is just perfect, exactly custom tuned by Sal the way I love it.

Both Imran and Sal have been a pleasure to work with. Once I get the finalized settings from Sal on my stage 2 tune, and get my test pipes installed, I'll be scheduling a dyno session and give a review on the Evolve R E-flash. Oh, and the GTS-DCT tune as well

EVOLVE your car (<--Phrase from the Evolve team)
Now gone

Last edited by spool twice; 10-12-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
great review

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Paul@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i, E60 M5, E92 M3, R56 MCS

Glad your enjoying the software
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats buddy! As I mentioned in my original review, I wasn't really expecting to notice much of a difference on a daily basis with the Evolve Servotronic Mapping, but I was proved rather wrong. It is quite enjoyable

You wil notice A HUGE difference in power with the Stage 2 Tune and Test Pipes!
      08-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
dmk08
///Maniac
Rep

Drives: 15 F80 MG/SO 6MT

Garage List
Bumping an old thread...

So I have Evolve STG II and GTS software but don't see this anywhere. Did it already come with mine or do I need to recontact them? I was tuned in May of this year.
Appreciate 0