BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

OneEighty

10-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
p-streets
M3NTAL

Drives: 09 E92 M3

Adding oil

Should I add oil to my car first thing in morn with engine cold or wait until its warmed up. Did serch can't find anything on it. I'm concerd because of the cold engine won't get a proper reading
p-streets is offline   United_States
      10-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Doesnt matter if cold or warm when adding oil but it does need to be at operating temp before taking a reading. Therefore, how would you know you need oil unless your car is already at operating temp and reading low on oil?
      10-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
p-streets
M3NTAL

Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Doesnt matter if cold or warm when adding oil but it does need to be at operating temp before taking a reading. Therefore, how would you know you need oil unless your car is already at operating temp and reading low on oil?
Thanks and yea I got reading yesterday and took the wife's cars to get oil and got side tracked doing a million other things in the process was going to add this morn before work but ill wait till I get home and run her to warm up
p-streets is offline   United_States
      10-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
sylonien
Major

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Should I add oil to my car first thing in morn with engine cold or wait until its warmed up. Did serch can't find anything on it. I'm concerd because of the cold engine won't get a proper reading
Probably cold or warm just so that you wouldn't burn yourself when everything is hot.
      10-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
speedaddictM3
Banned

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Doesn't matter. Just wait till the oil level is at minimum and only hadd 1/2 litre at a time to avoid overfilling
      10-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

I wouldn't do it when the car is ice cold (hasn't been driven for more than a few hours), as a lot of oil that was in the crankcase will have dripped back down into the pan. Best thing to do is add oil after the car has been driven, but waiting a few minutes after it was turned off. This is how Audi recommends you do it, BTW.
      11-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
jrxe92
Private

Drives: 2009 M3

I just got an oil change at the dealer. Drove home and the reading at operating temp was max level. I drive conservatively and do not race or autocross and my reading this morning (2 weeks, 300 miles after my oil change) is now mid level between min and max. Problem here? Normal? oil leak? Does the system give you a check control if its an oil leak?
      11-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

You're between min and max, which is fine. That's the "OK" zone. Just check the level periodically and if it gets too low, have the dealer top it off for you.
      11-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
elm3
M3 Lover

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Just remember to add just half a quart at a time. So if it is showing add a qt., add half. If you add the whole qt. you will risk the chance of over filling. Just a piece of advise.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
elm3 is offline   United_States
      11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
My Schnell
Private First Class

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxe92 View Post
I just got an oil change at the dealer. Drove home and the reading at operating temp was max level. I drive conservatively and do not race or autocross and my reading this morning (2 weeks, 300 miles after my oil change) is now mid level between min and max. Problem here? Normal? oil leak? Does the system give you a check control if its an oil leak?
The car stores the oil reading. Use the turn signal stalk to toggle to the oil level and the hold the button down until the oil level is re-read. There'll be a little clock, then it'll give you a true reading after an oil change.

I do this all the time ... When I change my oil, the first reading is always the same as before I changed it. Hold it down, resets and then it'll give the new actual reading.
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT, AA X-pipe w/HFCs w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Smoked Reflectors, Black 19" ZCPs and AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
My Schnell is offline   United_States
      11-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
jrxe92
Private

Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
The car stores the oil reading. Use the turn signal stalk to toggle to the oil level and the hold the button down until the oil level is re-read. There'll be a little clock, then it'll give you a true reading after an oil change.

I do this all the time ... When I change my oil, the first reading is always the same as before I changed it. Hold it down, resets and then it'll give the new actual reading.
isn't the "new actual reading" basically the same reading you get once the car is running at optimal temp?
      11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
My Schnell
Private First Class

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxe92 View Post
isn't the "new actual reading" basically the same reading you get once the car is running at optimal temp?
The car will not return an oil reading until it is in the optimal temp range and level. Although, the first reading after an oil change (until reset) most likely will be an old/stored reading.

I reset it every oil change (and sometimes randomly to ensure updated reading) ... It has changed (from oil change first reading, then reset) every time.
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT, AA X-pipe w/HFCs w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Smoked Reflectors, Black 19" ZCPs and AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
My Schnell is offline   United_States