BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM Sport

09-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i would not call a turboS a supercar.
Well it puts most supercars to shame based on performance, but what I meant was car with supercar performance.
      09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:
Well it puts most supercars to shame based on performance, but what I meant was car with supercar performance.
Yep. Just like gtr. But that doesnt have the overall quality of build. Im just one of those why wouldnt someone get a gt3 over a turbo guys. Granted its probably way more comfortable on a daily basis.

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
      09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Quote:
Yep. Just like gtr. But that doesnt have the overall quality of build. Im just one of those why wouldnt someone get a gt3 over a turbo guys. Granted its probably way more comfortable on a daily basis.
The turbo and GT3 are very, very different cars. You can drive both on a daily basis easily, but the turbo is as I said the single best daily drivable car with supercar performance. The 997 turbo S was a 10.8@130 mph car in stock form and is a monster on the track too. Plus throw wet whether into the mix and that skews things in its favor even more. Plus some people just like power and the turbo give just that. The GT3 is the best Motorsport car at any given time, and the 991 GT3 will be chased for years and years and never quite matched and certainly not topped except for the RS.
      09-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #26
Longboarder
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [4.93]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.75]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
The thing with the TurboS, is that dollar for dollar, it's the best all around performance automobile money can buy. Period. GTR is trying. And I give it credit for what it has done in just a few short years (including the pre-R35 years outside the US) But it's no TurboS (too heavy and fugly for now).

Beyond the TurboS, there are a few cars (super/hyper cars) that are superior. However, the superior performance is not "leaps and bounds" better than the TurboS - and when I say performance, forget the stupid magazine stats. I'm talking REAL performance as in chassis dynamics, race track prowess, track times in race prep set up, with performance stats dealing with 60-130 mph, top speed, braking from 200mph to 0 (done 10 times in a row), etc. - not this magazine bullshit stats like 0-60 or "street start" or "50-70 acceleration in highest gear" lol wtf is that??

So what you have beyond the TurboS is the law of diminishing returns, as the price of these super/hyper cars goes up significantly compared with the TurboS as development dollars is allocated over a small number of cars sold to the public.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
      09-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
F1Venom
Captain

Drives: ZCP E90 M3

For the price of a new 991 Turbo S, you can get a 997.2 Turbo and 997.2 GT3 and these can both be 2010 models.
      09-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A

Drives: .

Quote:
Is a R8 V10 a supercar?
      09-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
It all depends on who you ask... the terms 'super-car' and 'hyper-car' are borderline retarded if you ask me. In the end the label will be award based on price alone. To somebody who makes $35K a year, the M3 is a super-car, to me the Turbo S is one, and to many other the 458 will start things off in that realm. Followed by Hyper-cars like the Paganis, Bugatti, etc...

For me the R8V 10 def qualifies as a super-car, and anybody who says differently is just reusing the label definition given by magazines and car shows.

In the end it hardly matters... the turbo S will destroy most cars out there for a "competitive" (it's all relative) price point. It is probably the best high performance all season daily driver on the planet.
+1, I agree with you fully.

In my mind, the R8 V10 and Turbo S would always be the perfect mix of comfort and performance, as well as being suitable for all seasons. R8 maybe not so much, as it's a dedicated supercar with 2 seats, but the AWD would be absolutely awesome in Upstate NY winters (and you should know how they are). GT-R not so much, as I really don't like the styling nor the interior.

I should try finding a dealer that'll let me test drive one of those...
      09-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

I guess for me a supercar and hypercar (which is nonsense) is really an exotic.

The porsche turbos gt3s and r8 v10+ to me are the top of the line cars you can get before getting into the exotics. The best part of these cars are the performance they offer AND the ability to drive it everyday.

My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
      09-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #31
F1Venom
Captain

I label supercars and hypercars based on price. Anything $200+ is a supercar and anything over $800k is a hypercar.
Supercars: (even though it's pretty affordable for a supercar-the R8), 458, Gallardo
Hypercars: Pagani, McLaren P1, Bugatti, LaFerrari, Veneno, F40, 918
Sports Cars: M3, Maserati, Any Porsche (including Turbos and GT3), Corvette, Mustangs, Audi RS, Mercedes AMG's, GT-R, etc.
      09-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom
I label supercars and hypercars based on price. Anything $200+ is a supercar and anything over $800k is a hypercar.
Supercars: (even though it's pretty affordable for a supercar-the R8), 458, Gallardo
Hypercars: Pagani, McLaren P1, Bugatti, LaFerrari, Veneno, F40, 918
Sports Cars: M3, Maserati, Any Porsche (including Turbos and GT3), Corvette, Mustangs, Audi RS, Mercedes AMG's, GT-R, etc.
I know it's splitting hairs, but you can't lump the M3 in the same sports car category as the GT3 (or the turbo); totally different league.
Agree. Maybe c2s in terms of category but thats near the edge as well. Cayman. Even closer. Boxster. Who cares?

09-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Quote:
Agree. Maybe c2s in terms of category but thats near the edge as well. Cayman. Even closer. Boxster. Who cares?
Agreed, the C2S is very close to the M3, and many people (as seen here) cross shop them. Def the Cayman as well.
Whats mind boggling to me though is a well equipped cayman can get $100k?!

09-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
The thing with the TurboS, is that dollar for dollar, it's the best all around performance automobile money can buy. Period. GTR is trying. And I give it credit for what it has done in just a few short years (including the pre-R35 years outside the US) But it's no TurboS (too heavy and fugly for now).

Beyond the TurboS, there are a few cars (super/hyper cars) that are superior. However, the superior performance is not "leaps and bounds" better than the TurboS - and when I say performance, forget the stupid magazine stats. I'm talking REAL performance as in chassis dynamics, race track prowess, track times in race prep set up, with performance stats dealing with 60-130 mph, top speed, braking from 200mph to 0 (done 10 times in a row), etc. - not this magazine bullshit stats like 0-60 or "street start" or "50-70 acceleration in highest gear" lol wtf is that??

So what you have beyond the TurboS is the law of diminishing returns, as the price of these super/hyper cars goes up significantly compared with the TurboS as development dollars is allocated over a small number of cars sold to the public.
Agreed 100%. Some of the stats mags put out are just plain assanine. The Turbo or Turbo S in the real world are for all intents and purposes second to none.
      09-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Quote:
I know it's splitting hairs, but you can't lump the M3 in the same sports car category as the GT3 (or the turbo); totally different league.
You simply cannot put a 911 with the M3. Even the 991S is supercar type performance and handling whereas the M3 is just a pretty quick all around car and the M3 on its best day cant touch a 991S. let alone could prob barely hang with a base 991. And once you step beyond "entry" level 911s thats just a different ballgame.
      09-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #36
F1Venom
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:
You simply cannot put a 911 with the M3. Even the 991S is supercar type performance and handling whereas the M3 is just a pretty quick all around car and the M3 on its best day cant touch a 991S. let alone could prob barely hang with a base 991. And once you step beyond "entry" level 911s thats just a different ballgame.
Come on man, you're the biggest Porsche fanboy ever. A GT3 and 911TT is built upon the same base as a 911C2. Same with an M3 and a 328i. Or a ZR1 with a lowly $50k base Corvette.
These aren't supercars, they're sports cars and some are more hardcore than others. A Ferrari or Lamborghini is a super car. No matter how well a Porsche performs it'll never be a supercar (unless of course it's a CGT r 918).