BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Steve Thomas BMW

09-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 SSII E90 M3, 2009 335xi

2008 E90 M3 Check Engine Light- Increased Emissions

Hey guys i went to start my car up tonight and I haven't driven it since tuesday. As I went to start it up all the lights inside the car and the gauges started flickering and the car started up very rough and then the CEL came on. I have an AA drop in filter, resonator delete, and an auto couture exhaust. None of the o2 sensors have been touched so i don't know what could cause this. If anyone as any suggestions please tell me. Btw my car is running up on 65k miles. Thanks guys
      09-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
gimmethemuumuu
First Lieutenant

Drives: '08 M3 Sedan & '07 328i Wagon

Pull the codes. You might want to take a look at the low pressure fuel sensor replacement threads. Mine started like yours, only without the rough idle. I had increased emissions three times total, I think, before replacing the sensor. Also, I had many different codes. Most pointed to the sensor. Good luck!
gimmethemuumuu is offline   United_States
      09-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant

Hey guys little update. My car threw the code U1118 twice. Anyone know what it means?
      09-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
kenwelch
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW750Li View Post
Hey guys little update. My car threw the code U1118 twice. Anyone know what it means?
The code is a network error code, because of the "U" prefix. Mitchell OnDemand repair information lists several different code possibilities, including communication error between DKG (throttle position sensor) and DME (engine control module). The could be simple connector problems or much more expensive components. Even battery voltage can create communication errors.

Try clearing the codes and doing a two trip "drive cycle" to see if the same codes return. If they do you will need someone with good diagnostic skills and equipment. Don't just start throwing expensive parts at the problem.
kenwelch is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
The code is a network error code, because of the "U" prefix. Mitchell OnDemand repair information lists several different code possibilities, including communication error between DKG (throttle position sensor) and DME (engine control module). The could be simple connector problems or much more expensive components. Even battery voltage can create communication errors.

Try clearing the codes and doing a two trip "drive cycle" to see if the same codes return. If they do you will need someone with good diagnostic skills and equipment. Don't just start throwing expensive parts at the problem.
Ok thanks man, i'm gonna bring my car to the dealership and i will post up what happens.
      01-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
FRFNUGN
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW750Li View Post
Ok thanks man, i'm gonna bring my car to the dealership and i will post up what happens.
Any update on what happened? I just pulled the same code this morning. It's been -10F the past few days, and I had a throttle actuator replaced 4 months ago, other than that no issues. I haven't cleared it and driven any more yet, but will do so on my way home from work.
      01-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRFNUGN View Post
Any update on what happened? I just pulled the same code this morning. It's been -10F the past few days, and I had a throttle actuator replaced 4 months ago, other than that no issues. I haven't cleared it and driven any more yet, but will do so on my way home from work.
Hey man kinda crazy you brought this back up lol. My check engine light just came back on right before I was going to get a car wash. Increased emissions again. Maybe because it's under 10 degrees in NY! The first time was because the battery was shot but I'll let you guys know what happens tonight!
      01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
FRFNUGN
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 M3

I cleared my code before my drive home from work, and this morning it did not come back on during my drive in. If it was indeed a low battery code, it'd make sense since it appeared initially when it was ridiculously cold out, which would cause a loss of battery power on it's own. I'm on my original battery from '08, so I don't doubt that it's nearing the end of its useful life. I'll wait for the code to come back unless it stops cranking.
      01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRFNUGN View Post
I cleared my code before my drive home from work, and this morning it did not come back on during my drive in. If it was indeed a low battery code, it'd make sense since it appeared initially when it was ridiculously cold out, which would cause a loss of battery power on it's own. I'm on my original battery from '08, so I don't doubt that it's nearing the end of its useful life. I'll wait for the code to come back unless it stops cranking.
My shop scanned it for me last night and it wasn't the batter again. I don't know the specific codes but 2 of them were that 2 o2 sensors went bad and that the car was running rich or lean, forgot which one.