BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #45
will.c
Lieutenant
 
will.c's Avatar
 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 538
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
1. Don't forget to pump the brakes in your garage after you change the pads.
This one gets me every time!
will.c is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Definitely good advise, and I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would risk his health just to avoid getting the car cleaned... Windows down FTW!
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #47
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,799
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.
not true at any track i have been to. if there is a butt in the seat window needs to be down. i live in the PNW so see lots of rain as well. if the car cant handle getting wet it surely cant handle everything else that may happen.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
not true at any track i have been to. if there is a butt in the seat window needs to be down. i live in the PNW so see lots of rain as well. if the car cant handle getting wet it surely cant handle everything else that may happen.
From what I've seen, it depends. If it is a light drizzle, they'll ask for windows down. If it is coming down hard like in a storm, they will allow windows up. But then most people will just sit around in the paddock and wait for the rain to go away anyway.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
lsal
We are all Longwong
 
lsal's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Frozen Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 820
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.
First I've ever heard of this, but then again, I'm new to US tracks... Never been allowed to roll with the windows up (nor would I). Never been to a heavy rain day at the track, so can't say from experience.
lsal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,799
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
From what I've seen, it depends. If it is a light drizzle, they'll ask for windows down. If it is coming down hard like in a storm, they will allow windows up. But then most people will just sit around in the paddock and wait for the rain to go away anyway.
maybe thats how it works there but if its a downpour or not the windows have to be open. if its snowing they have to be down. have experienced this. most still go out here as driving in the rain is a far better learning environment than any dry day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
First I've ever heard of this, but then again, I'm new to US tracks... Never been allowed to roll with the windows up (nor would I). Never been to a heavy rain day at the track, so can't say from experience.
we get them all the time.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #51
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
maybe thats how it works there but if its a downpour or not the windows have to be open. if its snowing they have to be down. have experienced this. most still go out here as driving in the rain is a far better learning environment than any dry day.
Yes, I try to make it out when it rains but as I mentioned, it depends how much rain it is. The times I've gone with windows up, it is fine. Lots of fun sliding around and only 1/4 of the regular track traffic as most people will sit out the downpour.

Personally, I would not drive in the rain if I couldn't have my windows up. I think most people at track days feel similarly as they're bring out their daily driver street cars and keeping their cars safe so they can drive to work is more important than pulling lap times. It's a track day, it isn't a race.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #52
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,799
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yes, I try to make it out when it rains but as I mentioned, it depends how much rain it is. The times I've gone with windows up, it is fine. Lots of fun sliding around and only 1/4 of the regular track traffic as most people will sit out the downpour.

Personally, I would not drive in the rain if I couldn't have my windows up. I think most people at track days feel similarly as they're bring out their daily driver street cars and keeping their cars safe so they can drive to work is more important than pulling lap times. It's a track day, it isn't a race. When I want to go 10/10ths and compete, I head to autocross.
very true. cant win an hpde but you can lose one. standing water is the big concern there. havent seen anyone worry about getting their car interior wet guess we are used to rain a lot of the year.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
lsal
We are all Longwong
 
lsal's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Frozen Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 820
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
From what I've seen, it depends. If it is a light drizzle, they'll ask for windows down. If it is coming down hard like in a storm, they will allow windows up. But then most people will just sit around in the paddock and wait for the rain to go away anyway.
maybe thats how it works there but if its a downpour or not the windows have to be open. if its snowing they have to be down. have experienced this. most still go out here as driving in the rain is a far better learning environment than any dry day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
First I've ever heard of this, but then again, I'm new to US tracks... Never been allowed to roll with the windows up (nor would I). Never been to a heavy rain day at the track, so can't say from experience.
we get them all the time.
Well, I live in Boston now, so I'm expecting to have a couple as well
lsal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
very true. cant win an hpde but you can lose one. standing water is the big concern there. havent seen anyone worry about getting their car interior wet guess we are used to rain a lot of the year.


I used to love going out in the rain in my Evo. Amazing how you can still accelerate at full speed in the wet when all you get is wheel spin in a FWD/RWD car. But cornering, still have to slow down a lot more than in the dry. Also, wet line with smoother straight lines and using more of the center of the track. It becomes a somewhat stressful exercise in throttle control when cornering and a drag race between corners..
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,799
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post


I used to love going out in the rain in my Evo. Amazing how you can still accelerate at full speed in the wet when all you get is wheel spin in a FWD/RWD car. But cornering, still have to slow down a lot more than in the dry. Also, wet line with smoother straight lines and using more of the center of the track. It becomes a somewhat stressful exercise in throttle control when cornering and a drag race between corners..
true. i have found nt01s that still have some tread have a ton of grip in the wet as long as no standing water. it is almost as fast as a street tire in the dry.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

I don't get it why you guys in the US have to drive with the windows down on a track day. That's absolutely ridiculous. There is no such rule in Europe and I think there will never be something like that. First of all with the windows down you have worse aerodynamics. I would absolutely hate it to spin and let all the dirt get into the car, apart from all the debris which will fly inside even if you don't spin. Another annoying thing will be all the noise from the wind. No, really that is absolute nonsense.
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #57
rhouck
Registered
 
rhouck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 235
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I don't get it why you guys in the US have to drive with the windows down on a track day. That's absolutely ridiculous. There is no such rule in Europe and I think there will never be something like that. First of all with the windows down you have worse aerodynamics. I would absolutely hate it to spin and let all the dirt get into the car, apart from all the debris which will fly inside even if you don't spin. Another annoying thing will be all the noise from the wind. No, really that is absolute nonsense.
Because it's safer (for the many reasons stated above). Kind of like wearing a helmet, which afaik you don't need to do at certain tracks in Europe either. You are correct that you get debris, aero is worse, and it is noisy But it's certainly not "nonsense".
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
rhouck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #58
rhouck
Registered
 
rhouck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 235
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Always double check on lugs. Torque and re:torque. I have made this novice mistake every once in a while. Carry a to do sheet with a list.
I would add to do this BEFORE you go on track. And then if you are going to check again, do it after the car has sat --- not immediately after coming in when things are hot.

Have a AAA membership.

Bring spare brake fluid, power steering fluid, and oil.

Bring your OEM brake pads as spares.

SLEEP (and hydrate) the night before!
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
rhouck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Because it's safer (for the many reasons stated above). Kind of like wearing a helmet, which afaik you don't need to do at certain tracks in Europe either. You are correct that you get debris, aero is worse, and it is noisy But it's certainly not "nonsense".
OK, "nonsense" is maybe a too strong expression in this case, but still I would hate it if I have to do it. On track days here you usually have to wear a helmet, only during tourist rides at the Nürburgring you are allowed to drive without a helmet.
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #60
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
OK, "nonsense" is maybe a too strong expression in this case, but still I would hate it if I have to do it. On track days here you usually have to wear a helmet, only during tourist rides at the Nürburgring you are allowed to drive without a helmet.
Outside the USA, they often allow people to drive on track with windows up.

Windows down is a safety regulation so they can easily pull people out of a car in case of emergency if the door gets stuck for any reason. Also, less chance of shattered glass everywhere if the window is down. The requirement for this is totally dependent on the track and track event operator. Almost always they will require this though.

At US autocross events, they allow people to drive with windows up. But that is at lower speeds and less chances of hitting walls and other cars.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #61
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I would add to do this BEFORE you go on track. And then if you are going to check again, do it after the car has sat --- not immediately after coming in when things are hot.

Have a AAA membership.

Bring spare brake fluid, power steering fluid, and oil.

Bring your OEM brake pads as spares.

SLEEP (and hydrate) the night before!
I gotta stop tracking with 1 or 2 hours of sleep...
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #62
Estoril Blue
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.


I have never, ever seen that allowed at any track.
__________________
Estoril Blue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #63
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
I have never, ever seen that allowed at any track.
I was a track day instructor and we ran this as a soft rule on rain days - weather and track official dependent. Of course this is my friend who reserved the track and most of the people we knew so it is more like a private track day test and tune.

We haven't ran a track day since 2009.
http://unlimitedlaps.com/
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,799
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I gotta stop tracking with 1 or 2 hours of sleep...
i know after my epic fix 2 weeks ago on saturday couldnt sleep so spent the night playing poker before heading to the track sunday.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #65
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think driving with your windows up is stupid. If its hot outside, you'll die or dehydrate. That's if you don't fog up your windows and crash first.

Or you can drive with your A/C on and overheat your car.

I drove with my windows up at a track in South Korea in the summer...it SUCKED! You were NOT allowed to put them down.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #66
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

Posts: 694
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I gotta stop tracking with 1 or 2 hours of sleep...
I have a bad habit of any getting 3-4 hours of sleep before track events too since I'm so pumped.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST