BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
gymtime
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Are values of e92 M3s going to plummet when the F80/M4 come out?

I was looking for a car for a while, and as soon as I drove a e92 2013 M3 I fell in love with it and bought it. But now I'm worried that I might have made a bad financial decision with the F80/F82 coming out in a year. Are values going to plummet on e90s M3s or do you think they will hold up?
gymtime is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
MikeE92M3
Captain
 
MikeE92M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

Posts: 625
iTrader: (5)

I wonder the same. I have checked KBB many times over the last 6 months and the value(s) of my E92 m3 with mileage ranging from 17,XXX to 18,600 have been $43,000 to most recently approx. $42,000. I want the M4 and am on the list for one so I am not sure if I should sell now while I still can or wait until my M4 comes in so I can trade it in/sell it then.

I'm curious.

And my car is a base M3 with just premium package and 6MT. Immaculate condition, too.
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
MikeE92M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
jwaggen
Private
 
jwaggen's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Will you sell your car immediately if you think e92 values will drop?

If you've already bought the car, why worry at this point?

For the record, I don't think values will drop noticeably more than if the M4 did not come out: People have known about the new car for a long time now. Unless the test drives / reviews are materially better than already lofty expectations, the depreciation of the current M3s shouldn't be too bad.
__________________
E92 M3 6MT ZCP
jwaggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
jwaggen
Private
 
jwaggen's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I wonder the same. I have checked KBB many times over the last 6 months and the value(s) of my E92 m3 with mileage ranging from 17,XXX to 18,600 have been $43,000 to most recently approx. $42,000. I want the M4 and am on the list for one so I am not sure if I should sell now while I still can or wait until my M4 comes in so I can trade it in/sell it then.

I'm curious.

And my car is a base M3 with just premium package and 6MT. Immaculate condition, too.
I bought my car 2 months ago, and I spent 3 months looking for a car, and I will tell you that M3s were trading significantly above KBB. Hopefully that continues (or KBB adjusts their prices)... as opposed to prices coming down to meet KBB!
__________________
E92 M3 6MT ZCP
jwaggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
JuzMe
Private First Class
 
JuzMe's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: M Land

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

No mate, price will go up for M3.
JuzMe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

The answer to the thread question is a simple "No" - reference? E46.
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe
No mate, price will go up for M3.
No, that is wishful thinking, depreciation isn't going to magically reverse because there are no more V8 M3s being produced (it would have started already, no?).
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
davesaddiction
is fast cars
 
davesaddiction's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (0)

There are enough current M3 owners that will be selling their current car and getting into the new M3/4 that supply should go up pretty sharply in the next couple years. Assuming demand stays constant, that should mean prices will be depressed some.

That said, I honestly think a lot of it depends on the initial reviews of the new car. It will surely outperform the current car in every measurable statistic, but if enough influential car journalists feel like something has been "lost" in the next iteration, the perception may arise that the E9x is a true "end of an era" car, and that may motivate more current owners to hang onto theirs and others to obtain one (this is playing out now with the old/new GT3).

Mine's a keeper.

__________________
Daddy's Rocket Sled! _
Clarkson: "It is... pretty much perfect... Why don't I have one of these cars?"
Harris: "The saloon is definitely the M3 of choice."
davesaddiction is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction
There are enough current M3 owners that will be selling their current car and getting into the new M3/4 that supply should go up pretty sharply in the next couple years. Assuming demand stays constant, that should mean prices will be depressed some.

That said, I honestly think a lot of it depends on the initial reviews of the new car. It will surely outperform the current car in every measurable statistic, but if enough influential car journalists feel like something has been "lost" in the next iteration, the perception may arise that the E9x is a true "end of an era" car, and that may motivate more current owners to hang onto theirs and others to obtain one (this is playing out now with the old/new GT3).

Mine's a keeper.

Agreed, I will be very interested to see what Clarkson's take on the M4 is, maybe next season.
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!
 
Nati Beastcat's Avatar
 
Drives: E55 AMG
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 1,284
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
I was looking for a car for a while, and as soon as I drove a e92 2013 M3 I fell in love with it and bought it. But now I'm worried that I might have made a bad financial decision with the F80/F82 coming out in a year. Are values going to plummet on e90s M3s or do you think they will hold up?
All cars are bad financial decisions. All of the people on the board would've been better off investing or buying property etc. I wouldn't worry about it... drive the shit out of it and have fun.
__________________
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Nati Beastcat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,673
iTrader: (0)

You don't buy a BMW expecting it to hold its value, you buy one because you want a driving experience. If you're worried about your V8 M3 losing value then why the hell did you buy one?
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
gymtime
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
All cars are bad financial decisions. All of the people on the board would've been better off investing or buying property etc. I wouldn't worry about it... drive the shit out of it and have fun.
Of course. No car is an investment. I was just worried about the car retaining decent value so that in around 3 years I can sell it and upgrade without having to worry about having 70% depreciation because of it being an older model

No one likes to light ALL of their cash on fire over a car
gymtime is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Pertplus
Colonel
 
Pertplus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 C2S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 2,274
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
If I was back in the Mercedes world...I'd say yes, the price will plummet. But I just think that even if the E92 doesn't appreciate in price, there is enough of a following that people will always be on the lookout for these cars. For example, how many Mercedes C55s have you seen in the past 5 years compared to E46 M3s driving around? I've probably seen more E36 M3s on the streets than I've seen C55s. Point being, I think M3 owners are in the best position (compared to MBZ, Audi and especially the Lexus IS-F) as far as resale value, even in the face of newer versions being released.
Pertplus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus
If I was back in the Mercedes world...I'd say yes, the price will plummet. But I just think that even if the E92 doesn't appreciate in price, there is enough of a following that people will always be on the lookout for these cars. For example, how many Mercedes C55s have you seen in the past 5 years compared to E46 M3s driving around? I've probably seen more E36 M3s on the streets than I've seen C55s. Point being, I think M3 owners are in the best position (compared to MBZ, Audi and especially the Lexus IS-F) as far as resale value, even in the face of newer versions being released.
Very true. Think about it, you don't see Civic ricers putting MB badges on their cars or MB mirrors, etc. We may mock them, but they are trying in their own misguided way to pay homage to our M3s, and if they could afford them, that's what they want to buy, which keeps the resale market pretty good for us.
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
fuddman
Captain
 
Drives: 528-maybe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

Posts: 676
iTrader: (0)

Yes, they are going fall dramatically to very low levels.
But, as a goodwill gesture for another forum member, I'll take yours off your hands for 40K.
fuddman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
The answer to the thread question is a simple "No" - reference? E46.

There are tons of E46 M3's on cars.com going for around $17k.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
bga23
Dirty old man
 
Drives: 2011.99 e90 Alpine White
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yeah, but it is a dry heat

Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)

E92 values will drop like a rock but E90 are prices are going to skyrocket...

It is a car, a depreciating asset, so drive it like you stole it b/c value is gonna drop anyway so may as well enjoy it.
__________________
2012 Ford Raptor
2011 AW e90 - For sale
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016269
bga23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
SterlingE55
Enlisted Member
 
SterlingE55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E55, 2012 Raptor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

I hope so. But I don't think there will be a dramatic drop. The used car market has seriously changed in the last couple of years. Very few people purchased cars (comparably) in 2008-2010. Making the used car demand for those era of cars higher. Also it's my belief that both MB and BMW are making better and better cars since the 2006-2008 generations and because of that they're aging better and holding values accordingly. My E55 at 3 years old had depreciated 70%. A 3 year old E63 is still in the high 40s-50s.
__________________
2006 E55 - Not stock
2012 Raptor - Not stock
SterlingE55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
jaehshim
Captain
 
jaehshim's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 722
iTrader: (1)

The value, aside just from pricing, of current E9X M3 will be considered "end of an era" for sure, especially with all these FI engines and HYBRIDS in sports cars like M3, nsx, supra, etc etc...
__________________
jaehshim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post

There are tons of E46 M3's on cars.com going for around $17k.
Uh huh -- and they are how old? Almost 10 years now? How many miles? 100k? Apples and oranges my friend. My point was that the E46 resale price did not drop substantially just because the E9x was released.
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
Edward
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,325
iTrader: (0)

The perfect example of a car that isn't half a century old that holds value very well is the "last of the air cooled" 911 cars (993). A well taken care of 993 Turbo or even 993 Carrera S Widebody carries a serious premium these days. 40k-85k for a car from the mid-late 90's.

The only M3 that has ever appreciated in value significantly is the E30. The E36 has no chance and neither does a non CSL E46 IMO. (I know I am leaving out examples like the E36 LTW and E46 GTR etc because they are much rarer).

I think that the E9x will depreciate as any modern M car has. Don't ever see them actually going up in value unless you store one in a chamber for the next 70 years and go sell it at auction when you're 90 years old or dead. I reckon that the E9x will be remembered fondly as a very nice car, yet it probably won't be as desired in 16 years as the 993 is today. It's too cheap of a car to begin with for enough people to keep them in good working order to support any kind of a solid second hand market far in the future.

I also think that in the future...I mean 10+ years, the E9x will be more desired in 6MT. This tech simply does not advance or age at this point whereas I predict DCT will become a complete relic. Especially the way things are going, it will be harder to find any manual transmission sports car, let alone a gas guzzling high revving 8 cylinder.
Edward is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 861
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The perfect example of a car that isn't half a century old that holds value very well is the "last of the air cooled" 911 cars (993). A well taken care of 993 Turbo or even 993 Carrera S Widebody carries a serious premium these days. 40k-85k for a car from the mid-late 90's.

The only M3 that has ever appreciated in value significantly is the E30. The E36 has no chance and neither does a non CSL E46 IMO. (I know I am leaving out examples like the E36 LTW and E46 GTR etc because they are much rarer).

I think that the E9x will depreciate as any modern M car has. Don't ever see them actually going up in value unless you store one in a chamber for the next 70 years and go sell it at auction when you're 90 years old or dead. I reckon that the E9x will be remembered fondly as a very nice car, yet it probably won't be as desired in 16 years as the 993 is today. It's too cheap of a car to begin with for enough people to keep them in good working order to support any kind of a solid second hand market far in the future.

I also think that in the future...I mean 10+ years, the E9x will be more desired in 6MT. This tech simply does not advance or age at this point whereas I predict DCT will become a complete relic. Especially the way things are going, it will be harder to find any manual transmission sports car, let alone a gas guzzling high revving 8 cylinder.
+1 on the 6MT. Just look at SMG vs 6MT on the E46 on the secondhand market. I know SMG vs. DCT is not a 'fair' comparison, but chances are in a few years DCT will also be outdated, whereas a 6MT is timeless.
nullrouted is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST