BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source

08-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Gfunk720
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3- AW

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Questions about Arkym Lip Install

Hello everyone. I recieved my Arkym Aerosport lip a few weeks back and had some questions about how others are installing this piece. I understand 3M double sided tape is recommended, I just can't get this thing to stay on once I get it fitted.

- Fit and finish are great. I am able to use all of factory mounting holes and everything lines up great. The problem has been getting the lip secure on the top edge.

- I have been using 1" 3M tape across the front of the top edge of the lip to try to get it to secure. Seems like any speeds over 90 MPH just pull the tape right off the bumper and the lip starts flapping a bit. This is after securing it overnight for adhesion. All surfaces are prepped and cleaned properly.

My question is, am I not using enough tape or using it in the right places? My guess is that maybe I'm going to close to the edge of the lip and that maybe it should actually be further down.

I typically get everything lined up and then press it on, then tighten the screws. Is there a better way to do this?

If anyone has pictures as to how you setup your lip I'd love to see it. I see plenty of people that are running this lip on the track and on cars with serious power. I can't imagine that they aren't seeing speeds similar to what I am. Just want to get this on right so I don't have to keep taking it off and on and spending $15 on tape each time.

GFunk
      08-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
micha3l
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Using tape alone with the factory screws didn't work for me either, it was fine at slow speeds but as soon as I'd get on a highway the tape at the front would come loose.

I ended up screwing holes in the front bumper to secure it. If you look for them with the lip off you can see them, but they that aren't noticeable. Only other option would be using betalink IMO

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
micha3l is offline   Australia
      08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
PYSpeed.com
Major General

Drives: BC Forged Wheels

Normally it's recommended to use 3M Automotive Double Sided Tape.
We always put 2 rows of them parallel to each other on the top portion of the lip (edge to edge). Also we stick another row or two on the bottom. Tighten the bolts and your ready to go.

Hope this helps.
PYSpeed.com is offline   United_States
      08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
SilentAttack
Major

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

I screwed mine into the stock bumper. The holes are on the bottom and Im sure if and when I take the lip off I will be able to see them if I look under the front mid section but Im not really too worried about it.
      08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Gfunk720
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PYSpeed.com View Post
Normally it's recommended to use 3M Automotive Double Sided Tape.
We always put 2 rows of them parallel to each other on the top portion of the lip (edge to edge). Also we stick another row or two on the bottom. Tighten the bolts and your ready to go.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Eric.

I take it you use the wider tape(1")? So you are talking about running 2 lengths from fender to fender along the front edge where it meets the bumper? I never put any lower down, and was typically doing 1 strip across the top. I need to buy more tape

To the other posters- I really don't want to screw into this bumper. I just had the whole thing painted an my license plate holes filled. The last thing I want to do is put holes in my mint bumper.
      11-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Gfunk720
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
If anyone still cares I was able to get the Arkym lip on properly, and it was really related to my installation error that it was coming off. I had the lip positioned too low on the bumper, so it wasn't hitting the contact spots on the bumper properly. Once I moved it up a bit I could tell it was sitting properly.

It has been speed tested over 120 mph and seems to be holding on just fine. I think it looks great and fit is damn near perfect.
      11-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Sleeper519
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Good to know. Looking to get a lip but it HAS to hold at high speeds. Thanks.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
      11-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
dozaiya
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

i saw that some people had success with black silicone
dozaiya is offline   Taiwan
      01-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
M3-S65
Banned

Drives: M3

ARKYM or PYSpeed should really do a simple tape placement "how to" on this -this is not a cheap part and when I received it had absolutely no instructions whatsoever. I figured it out as I have installed these kind of pieces before, and it honestly looks great. However, I had to search pics to confirm its placement and if it lined up perfect. I am not real OCD about this so, its perfect enough for me, but it honestly would have helped to see a simple "how to" and placement pics of the 3M tape and to confirm where it should fit/line up with the front oem bumper. By the way the carbon fiber on this thing is beautiful...

Last edited by M3-S65; 01-26-2014 at 08:38 AM.
M3-S65 is offline   No_Country
      01-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
SilentAttack
Major

I used nuts & bolts to secure mine
      01-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
M3-S65
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Did you bolt it up in non OEM areas?

I did use the OEM areas and increased the washer size and bolt size to fit and give more security. The original hardware in my case did not reach since I added a bigger washer.
M3-S65 is offline   No_Country
      01-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
SilentAttack
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Did you bolt it up in non OEM areas?

I did use the OEM areas and increased the washer size and bolt size to fit and give more security. The original hardware in my case did not reach since I added a bigger washer.
No I drilled holes in the bottom of my bumper. My lip doesn't reach the factory mounting holes. It was hard to do but worth it.