BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #89
RingMeister01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RingMeister01's Avatar
 
Drives: Ducati 1199R
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 1,862
iTrader: (0)

My set have been shipped!
__________________
This close to ordering F80...
RingMeister01 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #90
W Cole
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 701
iTrader: (4)

Does anyone know if theres a difference between the EDC and non-EDC R&T coils? I have only seen one part number. I know the rear EDC shocks have a larger shock rod..
W Cole is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #91
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,421
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Does anyone know if theres a difference between the EDC and non-EDC R&T coils? I have only seen one part number. I know the rear EDC shocks have a larger shock rod..
I believe the Ohlins R&T suspension for EDC equipped cars comes with simulators to prevent an EDC fault. Dampers and springs are identical.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #92
W Cole
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 701
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I believe the Ohlins R&T suspension for EDC equipped cars comes with simulators to prevent an EDC fault. Dampers and springs are identical.
I thought the rear top mounts were different on edc vs
Non-edc cars since the edc rear shock rod is a larger diameter. I guess I'll figure it out when mine arrive, hopefully they come with good directions.
W Cole is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #93
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
 
jbraslins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 SO M3 M-DCT, ETA July
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I believe the Ohlins R&T suspension for EDC equipped cars comes with simulators to prevent an EDC fault. Dampers and springs are identical.
Mine definitely did not come with EDC simulator. Had to order that separately.

Another alternative to EDC simulator is to have Mike Benvo code it away.
__________________
[ORDERED] 2015 Sakhir Orange F80 BMW M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2010 Alpine White E90 M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
jbraslins is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #94
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,421
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
I thought the rear top mounts were different on edc vs
Non-edc cars since the edc rear shock rod is a larger diameter. I guess I'll figure it out when mine arrive, hopefully they come with good directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
Mine definitely did not come with EDC simulator. Had to order that separately.

Another alternative to EDC simulator is to have Mike Benvo code it away.
Correct, there are no differences between the dampers and springs between non-EDC and EDC cars, except for an "optional" EDC simulator.

EDC rear...You'll get new rear mounting bushing with the R&T kit that fit the Ohlins rear damper shaft and, therefore, you will not reuse your stock rear EDC mounting hardware. Look at pic #6 in the OP - shows new black bushings, washer and mounting nut.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 06-02-2013 at 08:16 AM.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #95
W Cole
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 701
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Correct, there are no differences between the dampers and springs between non-EDC and EDC cars, except for an "optional" EDC simulator.

EDC rear...You'll get new rear mounting bushing with the R&T kit that fit the Ohlins rear damper shaft and, therefore, you will not reuse your stock rear EDC mounting hardware. Look at pic #6 in the OP - shows new black bushings, washer and mounting nut.
Thanks for clearing that up! Another dumb question: I've installed coilovers on both e36s and e46s and don't remember how I lined up the strut so the sway bar end link was positioned properly. I am assuming the strut indexes into the spindle.

Since on the ohlins the entire strut can spin in order to adjust ride height I am assuming it does not index into the spindle at all so how do you align where the sway bar end link bolts onto the strut? TLAR method?
W Cole is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #96
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,421
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! Another dumb question: I've installed coilovers on both e36s and e46s and don't remember how I lined up the strut so the sway bar end link was positioned properly. I am assuming the strut indexes into the spindle.

Since on the ohlins the entire strut can spin in order to adjust ride height I am assuming it does not index into the spindle at all so how do you align where the sway bar end link bolts onto the strut? TLAR method?
There's no way you'll be able to adjust ride height from the lower mount when it is preloaded into the steering knuckle. You'll have to loosen the large, high-preload bolt holding the bottom of the strut, pry apart the steering knuckle, and remove the strut and then adjust ride height - you can't spine the strut body because the sway bar mounting tab is fixed. As for aligning I doubt it has an alignment feature - my JRZs (and Motons) have an alignment boss that also locates the adapter that slides into the knuckle.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #97
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,914
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There's no way you'll be able to adjust ride height from the lower mount when it is preloaded into the steering knuckle. You'll have to loosen the large, high-preload bolt holding the bottom of the strut, pry apart the steering knuckle, and remove the strut and then adjust ride height - you can't spine the strut body because the sway bar mounting tab is fixed. As for aligning I doubt it has an alignment feature - my JRZs (and Motons) have an alignment boss that also locates the adapter that slides into the knuckle.
Yes, that is correct, but once the bolt is loosen up the adaptor can spin for height adjustments.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #98
W Cole
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 701
iTrader: (4)

If I want to adjust the rear ride height do I adjust the length of the shock body in unison? If so, does anyone know the recommended "preload?" This may be the wrong terminology..

In the past with other setups after adjusting the ride height of the car to my liking I would jack up the suspension until the spring is just about to be compressed (0 preload) and then match the length of the shock body so it will bolt into the lower A-arm.

For some setups I have heard you actually compress the spring by lets say 10mm and then match the shock body to this lengt. I would think in this second case you would be running 10mm of preload but again this may be the wrong terminology.

Last edited by W Cole; 07-12-2013 at 01:56 PM.
W Cole is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #99
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,007
iTrader: (9)

There's no rear shock length adjustment.
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #100
swhat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 MW E92
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 429
iTrader: (1)

I just got these installed, however, not sure how to adjust the rear dampeners. I know the front ones are on the bottom, however, I couldn't find it on the rears. Is it on top? Do I access it through the trunk?
swhat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #101
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
 
jbraslins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 SO M3 M-DCT, ETA July
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
I just got these installed, however, not sure how to adjust the rear dampeners. I know the front ones are on the bottom, however, I couldn't find it on the rears. Is it on top? Do I access it through the trunk?
Yes. I cut two crosses in the carpet in my trunk so I can reach in and turn the adjusters.
__________________
[ORDERED] 2015 Sakhir Orange F80 BMW M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2010 Alpine White E90 M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
jbraslins is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #102
swhat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 MW E92
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 429
iTrader: (1)

Thank you.
swhat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #103
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,914
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
I just got these installed, however, not sure how to adjust the rear dampeners. I know the front ones are on the bottom, however, I couldn't find it on the rears. Is it on top? Do I access it through the trunk?
Your installer did not walk you through the adjustment procedure?

You can also install these:

http://www.hpashop.com/Ohlins-RT-E9x...-extenders.htm
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #104
swhat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 MW E92
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 429
iTrader: (1)

no
swhat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #105
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,914
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
no
Who was your installer?
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #106
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (0)

Do camber plates need to be bought separately?
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
me no care about lap times. its all about skids, way more fun = next car ///M6.
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #107
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
 
jbraslins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 SO M3 M-DCT, ETA July
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Do camber plates need to be bought separately?
Yes. I just had a set of Vorshlag plates installed. Amazing piece of machine work.
__________________
[ORDERED] 2015 Sakhir Orange F80 BMW M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2010 Alpine White E90 M3 M-DCT
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
jbraslins is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #108
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (0)

So if tracking once or twice per month would these be recommended or will you guys running this setup eventually move onto a nore track setup?
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
me no care about lap times. its all about skids, way more fun = next car ///M6.
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #109
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,914
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
So if tracking once or twice per month would these be recommended or will you guys running this setup eventually move onto a nore track setup?
Ohlins R&T is suited for both street and track use. If you are only tracking once or twice a month, you will enjoy these for a long time. Going to a more track setup would only destroy the ride quality and may not even get you better lap times.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #110
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
So if tracking once or twice per month would these be recommended or will you guys running this setup eventually move onto a nore track setup?
Ohlins R&T is suited for both street and track use. If you are only tracking once or twice a month, you will enjoy these for a long time. Going to a more track setup would only destroy the ride quality and may not even get you better lap times.
Im used to crap ride quality for more performance. My other option is kw cs but will look into these. You never kmow when all of a sudden its tracking every weekend lol.

Can you pm me with details on price and im guessing cp are needed too?
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
me no care about lap times. its all about skids, way more fun = next car ///M6.
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST