BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

M3 GTS Wheel cleaning question

Hey everyone. We just picked up the GTS wheels for our M3 yesterday and I was wondering, since they're matte finish if they can be waxed?

We had the old ZCP wheels on it, and those had a coat of clear over them, so I ended up taking off all four corners every month or so and wax each wheel. I'm not so sure that it's possible with the GTS wheels. Any help?

Thanks.
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
ibmike
What the Hell ?
 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

Use green bottle spray on turtle wax, spray um off an then aply turtle wax on um wet then dry with a rag.
ibmike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
Legion5
Major
 
Legion5's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,367
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport1223 View Post
Hey everyone. We just picked up the GTS wheels for our M3 yesterday and I was wondering, since they're matte finish if they can be waxed?

We had the old ZCP wheels on it, and those had a coat of clear over them, so I ended up taking off all four corners every month or so and wax each wheel. I'm not so sure that it's possible with the GTS wheels. Any help?

Thanks.
matte wheels do not need to be waxed, as the point of wax is primarily to return gloss to a surface that does not have it and fill in the micro scratches on a glossy clear coat. Matte wheels do not have this issue and do not show micro scratches.

Wax also serves to protect finished, primarily from chemical decay not physical damage, but wheels like the GTS ones have a very resistant finish anyways.

I wouldn't wax them, I'd just clean them.

Still, if you're paranoid you can use a matte wax, many manufacturers have it.
__________________

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Legion5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather
 
Drives: 2010 White E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bristol, England

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

What is the difference between GTS wheels and ZCP wheels? Thought they were the same...
CrucialScott is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will just clean them, rather than wax or anything of the like.
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
MTrezzz
Captain
 
Drives: Lime Rock Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Check out Ammo NYC, they have great products & also sell for finishes like on your rims. Just out his videos on youtube, on how to clean a matt car, specifically he cleans a matt blue individual M3 coupe.

again they have great products, i used them on my own car
MTrezzz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
hpc3
Second Lieutenant
 
hpc3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M3 ZCP 6sp
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carolinas

Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

Im curious as to how they show dirt... please update after some mileage/use

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport1223 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I think I will just clean them, rather than wax or anything of the like.
One of the reasons I haven't bought a set yet is I haven't found a local car with them to compare dirt/grime with. The stock pads seem to be decent and don't cover the wheels with dust (stock US ZCP in my case) on the first drive. I've owned black satin on another car though(Audi) and those would turn grey/brown after the first few miles on a cleaning. Any wear/cleaning feedback appreciated.
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - SG/FR ZCP 6sp with sunroof *and* wood (old fart edition). MPE. Turner 10mm spacers x4.

Born on 07/04/12, PCD September 5th, 2012.
hpc3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
One of the reasons I haven't bought a set yet is I haven't found a local car with them to compare dirt/grime with. The stock pads seem to be decent and don't cover the wheels with dust (stock US ZCP in my case) on the first drive. I've owned black satin on another car though(Audi) and those would turn grey/brown after the first few miles on a cleaning. Any wear/cleaning feedback appreciated.
You're absolutely right. I had wanted them from day one when the car came in, but I wasn't set on ordering them with the car for fear of not liking them. I had been to many a show and BMW event since then, and had seen the wheels on other cars and they looked fine, and without problems so I went forward with it and decided to get them.
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
Check out Ammo NYC, they have great products & also sell for finishes like on your rims. Just out his videos on youtube, on how to clean a matt car, specifically he cleans a matt blue individual M3 coupe.

again they have great products, i used them on my own car
A client of mine has an E92 M3 and swears by him as well. Drive uses many of his videos on Wednesdays. I will look for the frozen blue M3 and see what he has to offer.

I think there is also a way to contact him and he can recommend cleaning strategies as well, correct?
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,598
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sonax wheel cleaner should do the trick to remove iron deposits while keeping them matte looking. It's just really important to drive the car after to dry them off. If you want to keep dust off, you can try Rejex, it shouldn't create a shine.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
MTrezzz
Captain
 
Drives: Lime Rock Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport1223 View Post
A client of mine has an E92 M3 and swears by him as well. Drive uses many of his videos on Wednesdays. I will look for the frozen blue M3 and see what he has to offer.

I think there is also a way to contact him and he can recommend cleaning strategies as well, correct?
Not to sure about contacting him here on the forum, but if he is around then ill search through the threads if i were you. or email him
MTrezzz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
Not to sure about contacting him here on the forum, but if he is around then ill search through the threads if i were you. or email him
I think he has an email contact somewhere. I'll look for it.
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
It's a classic combo!
Attached Images
 
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
It's a classic combo!
Great minds think alike, obviously.
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
MSport1223
New Member
 
Drives: E92 Dakar Yellow M3, E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
Check out Ammo NYC, they have great products & also sell for finishes like on your rims. Just out his videos on youtube, on how to clean a matt car, specifically he cleans a matt blue individual M3 coupe.

again they have great products, i used them on my own car
Here's the link you were talking about.

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/bmw-frozen-paint/
MSport1223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
MTrezzz
Captain
 
Drives: Lime Rock Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport1223 View Post
Here's the link you were talking about.

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/bmw-frozen-paint/
MTrezzz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST