BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

GTB Performance

08-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
W///
Major General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Of course, it is the future, you can get more power with the same or better gas mileage, the issue is how do you address valve maintanance going forward. Thankfully the s65 is port injected so these are issues I don't have to stress for now
+1

That and the other car I want, a 997 Turbo. No DI for me yet
      08-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
It's really quite simple. Standard engines use port injection which sprays fuel "over" the intake valves where the gasoline additives such will help keep injectors and valves clean.

Direct injection sprays fuel "under" the intake valves directly into the combustion chamber. Fuel additives and cleaners will do nothing to clean valves in this case only the injectors. The only way to clean valves on a direct injection engine is to remove the head and manually clean the valves.

To answer why they use direct injection, main reason is better metering of the fuel air mixture which improves fuel efficiency and MPG.

Attachment 897040
Thanks for the picture! I learned something today!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Of course, it is the future, you can get more power with the same or better gas mileage, the issue is how do you address valve maintanance going forward. Thankfully the s65 is port injected so these are issues I don't have to stress for now
It is mostly addressed in the new cars now. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda etc. all are using DI in their engines now. Given their reputation for reliable cars, they have to have figured this out otherwise there would be a ton of complaints given the amount of Hondas and Toyotas that are on the road.
      08-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
whats77inaname
Native Texan

Drives: when at all possible

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

Given the stable of brands under VW AG, I'd be curious to see how DI is treating some of their other cars after a couple years of service.
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
TheGulf1
Wayne

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Although Seafoam is used in fuel, it's also used in the crankcase. I think that might have been what the OP was talking about. I've used it a long time in my cars (mainly older cars with more miles) and it's great stuff. Just my opinion though that I'll stick with the recommended oil, change every other interval myself (let BMW pick up the other), and buy the best fuel I can get locally. I'm going to leave the additives out of mine.
TheGulf1 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
I've used Seafoam in the past. I was happy with it. The OP is on the east coast and probably runs Shell or Sunoco fuel. I don't believe either of these fuels have Techron in their additive packages. Techron would be a good choice as someone else recommended. I alternate between that and Redline Fuel Injector cleaner. I also alternate between Shell and Sunoco to take advantage of their differing detergent formulations.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0