BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,280
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Thank you.
I was planning on running square ZCP with 265/275, and Swift springs. Wasn't expecting any rub.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
E90M3velocity
Private First Class
 
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

What specs are you running for the apex wheels?
__________________
E90M3velocity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
What specs are you running for the apex wheels?
18x10s ET25 square set-up on kook RS-3s (275/35/18)
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
E90M3velocity
Private First Class
 
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Cool, so rubbing im guessing?
__________________
E90M3velocity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Cool, so rubbing im guessing?
None at all, 18s too small. Plus, I don't throw on spacers since APEX are strictly track wheels for me. Even when I had BBS CH 19x10s, it didn't rub.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
E90M3velocity
Private First Class
 
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Cool thanks, car looks good btw
__________________
E90M3velocity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #29
crazydrummer
Captain
 
crazydrummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 08
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: arkansas

Posts: 670
iTrader: (13)

So who should I order these from?
crazydrummer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #30
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 779
iTrader: (9)

Hey SROC5, you run the stock front bump stop or the one from the e36 m3?
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Hey SROC5, you run the stock front bump stop or the one from the e36 m3?
e36 m3 bump stop, to help with travel. come to think of it, the car hasn't bottomed yet (knock knock). Although I did hear these springs were tuned with the stock ones in place.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 779
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
e36 m3 bump stop, to help with travel. come to think of it, the car hasn't bottomed yet (knock knock). Although I did hear these springs were tuned with the stock ones in place.
10-4. Thanks man.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,280
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
e36 m3 bump stop, to help with travel. come to think of it, the car hasn't bottomed yet (knock knock). Although I did hear these springs were tuned with the stock ones in place.
The 2 vendors I asked said it wasn't necessary as they are supposed to work with everything else stock. I'm still going back and forth. Kind of like, well you're in there, might as well?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 779
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The 2 vendors I asked said it wasn't necessary as they are supposed to work with everything else stock. I'm still going back and forth. Kind of like, well you're in there, might as well?
Same here. I have no real beef with the OEM suspension. So i'm really wondering if i should even muck with it. I was mainly wanting the slight drop and thought the stiffer springs would do better on track.... plus the extra camber you get from this would be a bonus. I would just hate to mess up the nice balance it has from the factory.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The 2 vendors I asked said it wasn't necessary as they are supposed to work with everything else stock. I'm still going back and forth. Kind of like, well you're in there, might as well?
Yep, I agree. It isn't necessary. I did it because it makes sense to me re: trying to keep as much travel as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Same here. I have no real beef with the OEM suspension. So i'm really wondering if i should even muck with it. I was mainly wanting the slight drop and thought the stiffer springs would do better on track.... plus the extra camber you get from this would be a bonus. I would just hate to mess up the nice balance it has from the factory.
Don't mess with it if it doesn't bother you. It eventually bothered me on the track, hence the switch.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #36
E90M3velocity
Private First Class
 
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Do you have a zcp car? Just curious if these springs were tuned for zcp shocks which are tuned differently (from what i read) or the regular shocks
__________________
E90M3velocity is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Do you have a zcp car? Just curious if these springs were tuned for zcp shocks which are tuned differently (from what i read) or the regular shocks
ZCP car. Call Swift, they'd know.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
anselmw
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2001 M Coupe, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the great review. Only question for me is the same as other non zcp, will this work just as good. I might have to be the test case for it.
__________________
2011 E90 M3
2001 M Coupe
2010 Audi Q5 S Line
anselmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #39
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 779
iTrader: (9)

Another Q SROC5, What was your max front camber settings before the spring install? Just looking to see how much more you get just from the spring install.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmw View Post
Thanks for the great review. Only question for me is the same as other non zcp, will this work just as good. I might have to be the test case for it.
Yes, the only real difference re: EDC struts for ZCP and Non-ZCP is "Sport EDC" is 'dynamic' , like "Normal" and "Comfort" were to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Another Q SROC5, What was your max front camber settings before the spring install? Just looking to see how much more you get just from the spring install.
-1 (F). I ended up with -1.9 with the spring install and suspension front pins pulled. Even that small amount of camber helped reduce shoulder wear on the track vs. before.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #41
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,897
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
e36 m3 bump stop, to help with travel. come to think of it, the car hasn't bottomed yet (knock knock). Although I did hear these springs were tuned with the stock ones in place.
Yes, that is correct. Swift designed these springs around the OE bump stops, with proper linear rates and height there is no bottoming issues, including several of our customer who track their M3's at very bumpy tracks.

Most of the reports of bottoming were from progressive and often too much drop Eibach or H&R springs.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Coast, USA

Posts: 779
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Yes, that is correct. Swift designed these springs around the OE bump stops, with proper linear rates and height there is no bottoming issues, including several of our customer who track their M3's at very bumpy tracks.

Most of the reports of bottoming were from progressive and often too much drop Eibach or H&R springs.
I ordered mine and included the e36 M3 bumpstops just cause it seems to make sense that you would need them. From what people say, there is actually very little travel in the stock front suspension before it hits the stock bumpstops. So with these springs wouldn't you basically be riding directly on bump stops if you kept the original ones or am I wrong there?

I just wonder what the pros and cons are of using these springs with the e36 M3 bumpstops versus the stock ones? Mostly for DD use, but i do go to the track like 8-10 times per year.

Are the e36 M3 bumpstops progressive like the e92 M3 ones? And how much shorter are the e36 M3 bumpstops vs the stock ones?
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
I ordered mine and included the e36 M3 bumpstops just cause it seems to make sense that you would need them. From what people say, there is actually very little travel in the stock front suspension before it hits the stock bumpstops. So with these springs wouldn't you basically be riding directly on bump stops if you kept the original ones or am I wrong there?

I just wonder what the pros and cons are of using these springs with the e36 M3 bumpstops versus the stock ones? Mostly for DD use, but i do go to the track like 8-10 times per year.

Are the e36 M3 bumpstops progressive like the e92 M3 ones? And how much shorter are the e36 M3 bumpstops vs the stock ones?
e36 bumpstops are not progressive.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
///M3_DCT
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Summer Tires All Year!

Posts: 400
iTrader: (12)

Just ordered these
After cross-reference reviews for these and the B&G, sounds like the swift springs have the edge. My previous car had Top Secret Aragosta coilovers. Those coilovers came with swift springs and I loved them! On a budget now... Hopefully these can do the job until I can get my real coilovers.
__________________
/// 2012-E92 M3 DCT: Akrapovic Evo, KW Clubsport, BBS FI
///M3_DCT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spec-r, springs, suspension, swift, track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST