BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4423
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
15
Rep
1,525
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Exactly.
I'm apprehensive when changing lenses for the Cup races. Sand,wind,salt and mist do not make for confident changes.
__________________
Kevingoto.smugmug.com
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #4424
Itsed65
Major
Itsed65's Avatar
24
Rep
1,417
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Yeah I hate sensor dust, and I already have to get the 1 cleaned again. I really try just to keep the 100-400 glued to it these days, once I leave the house. However I have read it can be better to actually change them outside in a breeze as some houses have far more dust inside them then outside. This doesn't mean at the beach or in the desert of course, just generally. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #4425
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
15
Rep
1,525
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Your house has more cat fur than dust. ;-)

Electrostatic air cleaners work wonders.
__________________
Kevingoto.smugmug.com
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #4426
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I had a flat gray sky the other day, so I took advantage and shot an f22 image of it. Not a speck of dust on the sensor. I do have one tiny speck on the focus screen that won't come off with the air blaster, but I can live with that.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #4427
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I had a flat gray sky the other day, so I took advantage and shot an f22 image of it. Not a speck of dust on the sensor. I do have one tiny speck on the focus screen that won't come off with the air blaster, but I can live with that.
That's great.

I've got one dead pixel on the 5D3, but it magically disappears during Raw conversion with DxO Optics Pro 8.2.

I haven't checked my dust level lately. I'll try to get it done this week.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #4428
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Boston surprisingly has just two camera stores, Hunts and Bromfield Camera. I walked into Bromfield the other day and started chatting with the owners (been there 47 years). He had just taken in a 1D classic and some lenses that some local prof had bought with grant money and barely used. The 1D had just 1300 shots on it. The lenses, 70-200 f2.8 IS v1, 16-35 f2.8 v1, and 100-400, were all pristine. It looked like they had never been mounted. I traded in my 70-300L and got the 70-200 f2.8 IS for $600. I probably could have sold my 70-300 for a bit more than he offered, but this way there was no risk and no hassle with shipping, and we were just $100 off.

Can't wait to get out shooting with it.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #4429
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Great stuff Mark, but am I detecting GAS?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #4430
vachss
Captain
15
Rep
791
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (1)

$600 for a 70-200/2.8IS v1 is a great deal, but it depends a bit on how much he gave you for the 70-300L. Those sell for about $1100-1200 privately while I see 70-200 v1s for about $1K. So basically if he gave you anything more than $800 or so for the 70-300L you came out ahead. Just out of curiosity do you know what he wanted for the 100-400?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #4431
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
15
Rep
1,525
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Mark,
You gave him the lens and $600 for the 70-200?
__________________
Kevingoto.smugmug.com
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #4432
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
$600 for a 70-200/2.8IS v1 is a great deal, but it depends a bit on how much he gave you for the 70-300L. Those sell for about $1100-1200 privately while I see 70-200 v1s for about $1K. So basically if he gave you anything more than $800 or so for the 70-300L you came out ahead. Just out of curiosity do you know what he wanted for the 100-400?
I didn't ask about the 100-400, but he seems to pretty much look at eBay sales and go from there. I can tell you that the 70-200 and the 16-35 are impossible to tell from new. Absolutely pristine. So I'd guess the 100-400 is as well. Google Bromfield Camera in Boston and ask for Russ if you call.

My original plan was to try to sell the 70-300 privately and get a v2 70-200, but that would have ended up with a lot more $$$ out of pocket and more hassle both ways. I know the v2 has better IQ wide open and better IS, but I'm not sure it would have been worth the extra cost to me.

These guys also just took in a huge estate haul with over a hundred film bodies. Some are excellent condition Rangefinders and Rolleiflexes.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #4433
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Mark,
You gave him the lens and $600 for the 70-200?
Yes, that is correct. I'd have been happier with a $500 differential, but he wasn't willing. So as I said, I decided avoiding the selling/buying hassle was worth it to me.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #4434
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
These guys also just took in a huge estate haul with over a hundred film bodies. Some are excellent condition Rangefinders and Rolleiflexes.
Slowly step away from the counter. You don't want to go there...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #4435
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
On another note, any Canon G33k saw this?

http://www.slrlounge.com/magic-lante...-dynamic-range

If I had one, I would certainly give it a try!

Last edited by MaximusJ; 07-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #4436
Mpy18
Lieutenant
Mpy18's Avatar
9
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325 XI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

I took my Celestron 130 SLT out tonight and thought I'd take a few pictures through the eye piece. Took this with my iPhone, I have a few on my Nikon d5000 I didn't upload yet, but enjoy this one for now.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #4437
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
I took my Celestron 130 SLT out tonight and thought I'd take a few pictures through the eye piece. Took this with my iPhone, I have a few on my Nikon d5000 I didn't upload yet, but enjoy this one for now.
So this one is with the iPhone. Is there an attachment for the eyepiece?

Looks pretty good, but you need to figure out how to reduce EV to get the exposure right.

We clouded over tonight, but here's one from a couple of nights ago (actually, it was the afternoon, hence the blue moon and sky):


Halfmoon before sunset by dcstep, on Flickr
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #4438
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
United_States
43
Rep
1,940
Posts

 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
On another note, any Canon G33k saw this?

http://www.slrlounge.com/magic-lante...-dynamic-range

If I had one, I would certainly give it a try!
There's a thread on this over on POTN. Interesting, pretty awesome stuff. Those ML guys are serious business!

Hoping for a 6D ML release soon. Wish I could contribute, but haven't had the time.
__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #4439
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
On another note, any Canon G33k saw this?

http://www.slrlounge.com/magic-lante...-dynamic-range

If I had one, I would certainly give it a try!
I didn't get the idea that it's fully stable yet. I'll wait a bit for some more user reviews. (OMG, none of those guys on the ML Forums can take a decent picture to save their lives. You can't tell shit from their images).

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #4440
Mpy18
Lieutenant
Mpy18's Avatar
9
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325 XI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
So this one is with the iPhone. Is there an attachment for the eyepiece?

Looks pretty good, but you need to figure out how to reduce EV to get the exposure right.

We clouded over tonight, but here's one from a couple of nights ago (actually, it was the afternoon, hence the blue moon and sky):
Looks beautiful ! My hands were a bit shaky, I was just holding it up to the eye piece. I put my camera on a tripod so I might have gotten come clearer ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #4441
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
Looks beautiful ! My hands were a bit shaky, I was just holding it up to the eye piece. I put my camera on a tripod so I might have gotten come clearer ones.
The sharpness falls off toward the bottom and is really pretty good at the top. The hand holding may account for the difference.

I think that they make a Celestron/DSLR interface to securely couple the two. That would be very interesting to see.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #4442
Mpy18
Lieutenant
Mpy18's Avatar
9
Rep
598
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325 XI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The sharpness falls off toward the bottom and is really pretty good at the top. The hand holding may account for the difference.

I think that they make a Celestron/DSLR interface to securely couple the two. That would be very interesting to see.

Dave
They do, it goes where the lens would on the camera, and slide into the eyepiece on the scope. Ill keep you updated as I am looking to purchase it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #4443
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
They do, it goes where the lens would on the camera, and slide into the eyepiece on the scope. Ill keep you updated as I am looking to purchase it.
Please do. I've been toying with the idea of getting a telescope, but I'd like to see if the images are worth the effort.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #4444
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
They do, it goes where the lens would on the camera, and slide into the eyepiece on the scope. Ill keep you updated as I am looking to purchase it.
When I search for Celetron on Flickr, look at the amazing stuff that comes up:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=celestron&ss=2&s=int
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST