BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
 
NELSON.MLGB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary,AB

Posts: 637
iTrader: (3)

Thoughts on the Performance Steering Wheel

Just installed the Perf steering wheel today, have couple of thoughts on it:
1: The feel of the wheel does not have a huge improvement
2: Hard to clean and maintain
3: The blue strap is very annoying, hurts eyes
4: More grip for sure
5: Looks cool
NELSON.MLGB is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Longwong
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3 catless
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a worthwhile mod

I personally love the OEM wheel on there so no clue why someone would change it. The OEM is so easy to wipe clean and keep nice and matte if you wipe it down daily or often. No reason to change to me.

Enjoy the new eyesore! lol
Longwong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

It wont look good after using for sometime.
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,949
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3
It wont look good after using for sometime.
Not unless he uses driving gloves. That is the only want to keep Alcantara steering wheels - or any steering wheel for that matter - pristine.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Not unless he uses driving gloves. That is the only want to keep Alcantara steering wheels - or any steering wheel for that matter - pristine.
after using for a while, it looks "shiny". Saw it in person though
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,526
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I love it. I don't have clammy hands and always wash them before touching the wheel. After a year it shows very marginal wear if you look very closely. One of my favorite mods, I just wish it was slightly fatter.

If I could do it over I would put it on again.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Very cool. I've been wanting to do this mod but have been putting it off.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Non electric?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,949
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3 View Post
after using for a while, it looks "shiny". Saw it in person though
That's why I was suggesting the BMW driving gloves. It has kept every wheel in the cars that I've owned looking brand new. My '05 Comp Pkg's alcantara steering wheel looked like nobody had ever touched it after two years of use. Love these damn leather gloves!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3 View Post
after using for a while, it looks "shiny". Saw it in person though
That's why I was suggesting the BMW driving gloves. It has kept every wheel in the cars that I've owned looking brand new. My '05 Comp Pkg's alcantara steering wheel looked like nobody had ever touched it after two years of use. Love these damn leather gloves!
Yeah but how do you get past the douche factor? My wife would laugh her ass off if I put the gloves on before driving. And I wouldn't blame her.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,949
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
Yeah but how do you get past the douche factor? My wife would laugh her ass off if I put the gloves on before driving. And I wouldn't blame her.
I didn't know it was douchey to wear ///M driving gloves. I think there are many other driving behaviors that are deserving of such a label. The gloves are really popular with the M crowd; I've been using them since 2002/2003.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,384
iTrader: (0)

Have the electronic version and yeah I am worried about the wear (it's my daily) and I have very dry hands. May get the gloves at least for sunday twisty pleasure rides and the track and keep them in the glove box to keep my wife from laughing at me. The electric version is perfect for manual transmissions due to the shift lights (adjustable if you have a higher rev limit) and helped me quite a bit on the track. The 0-62 mph and 1/4 mile timing, G force meter and oil & coolant temps are also pretty cool too! Kind of Knight Rider/Ricey-ish, but has so much practicality that I love it--second most favorite mod after the MPE.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member
 
Gop-Dogg's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey `11 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I didn't know it was douchey to wear ///M driving gloves. I think there are many other driving behaviors that are deserving of such a label. The gloves are really popular with the M crowd; I've been using them since 2002/2003.
Do you wear your Members Only jacket while wearing your driving gloves?
__________________
Gop-Dogg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Jay-K
Colonel
 
Jay-K's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indonesia

Posts: 2,405
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Sounds like a worthwhile mod

I personally love the OEM wheel on there so no clue why someone would change it. The OEM is so easy to wipe clean and keep nice and matte if you wipe it down daily or often. No reason to change to me.

Enjoy the new eyesore! lol
How do you wipe it?
Jay-K is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 942
iTrader: (2)

Gloves and Members only Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gop-Dogg View Post
Do you wear your Members Only jacket while wearing your driving gloves?
I believe this keeps the seat pristine as well!
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
N1COM3
Private
 
Drives: LMB E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hampton Roads, VA

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Wear gloves in a normal drive (non-track use)? It seems a little overkill IMO. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That's why I was suggesting the BMW driving gloves. It has kept every wheel in the cars that I've owned looking brand new. My '05 Comp Pkg's alcantara steering wheel looked like nobody had ever touched it after two years of use. Love these damn leather gloves!
N1COM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
hpc3
Second Lieutenant
 
hpc3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M3 ZCP 6sp
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carolinas

Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

Yeah... if BMW were smart enough to put the DCT console w/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Have the electronic version and yeah I am worried about the wear (it's my daily) and I have very dry hands. May get the gloves at least for sunday twisty pleasure rides and the track and keep them in the glove box to keep my wife from laughing at me. The electric version is perfect for manual transmissions due to the shift lights (adjustable if you have a higher rev limit) and helped me quite a bit on the track. The 0-62 mph and 1/4 mile timing, G force meter and oil & coolant temps are also pretty cool too! Kind of Knight Rider/Ricey-ish, but has so much practicality that I love it--second most favorite mod after the MPE.
Shift lights in the 6sp cars as well I probably would have stayed with the stocker... BUT I like the 2.0 E wheel for the shift lights and G-meters specifically. The 0-60 and 1/4mi timers are pretty cool too. I bought a matching alcantara/performance-stitch shifter to tie the two together(also prefer the stock style shifter to the M5 one now that I've swapped back). Both are wearing well but I am really trying to keep them clean as I go.

I bought the wheel thinking I'd recover it in Nappa leather initially and with the shifter I'll likely keep them as-is until they are too worn to restore...

__________________
'13 E92 M3 - SG/FR ZCP 6sp with sunroof *and* wood (old fart edition). MPE. Turner 10mm spacers x4.

Born on 07/04/12, PCD September 5th, 2012.
hpc3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
 
HoodR$CH's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 481
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I love it. I don't have clammy hands and always wash them before touching the wheel. After a year it shows very marginal wear if you look very closely. One of my favorite mods, I just wish it was slightly fatter.

If I could do it over I would put it on again.
Blue or yellow striped wheel? I swear the yellow striped wheel feels thicker.
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
HoodR$CH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
calscooby
Private
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv - San Marino Blue
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
How do you wipe it?

Hopefully front to back
calscooby is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
PandaM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

Posts: 333
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Have the electronic version and yeah I am worried about the wear (it's my daily) and I have very dry hands. May get the gloves at least for sunday twisty pleasure rides and the track and keep them in the glove box to keep my wife from laughing at me. The electric version is perfect for manual transmissions due to the shift lights (adjustable if you have a higher rev limit) and helped me quite a bit on the track. The 0-62 mph and 1/4 mile timing, G force meter and oil & coolant temps are also pretty cool too! Kind of Knight Rider/Ricey-ish, but has so much practicality that I love it--second most favorite mod after the MPE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
Shift lights in the 6sp cars as well I probably would have stayed with the stocker... BUT I like the 2.0 E wheel for the shift lights and G-meters specifically. The 0-60 and 1/4mi timers are pretty cool too. I bought a matching alcantara/performance-stitch shifter to tie the two together(also prefer the stock style shifter to the M5 one now that I've swapped back). Both are wearing well but I am really trying to keep them clean as I go.

I bought the wheel thinking I'd recover it in Nappa leather initially and with the shifter I'll likely keep them as-is until they are too worn to restore...

Anypne having trouble with the electronic steering wheel getting it to work right? Was thinking of getting one but I heard it has issues with freezing and needing to be reset.
PandaM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,949
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gop-Dogg View Post
Do you wear your Members Only jacket while wearing your driving gloves?
Maybe! Loafers with no socks too (...Senna style!). I keed....I keed!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,949
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1COM3 View Post
Wear gloves in a normal drive (non-track use)? It seems a little overkill IMO. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Overkill? Maybe.....but peeling interior trim and peeling/glossy steering wheels (..both caused by hand oils) would be a serious annoyance to me (...as it seems to be for many others who complain about peeling interior trim; usually on the doors, etc.). Nonetheless, we each have our quirks. Some people won't drive their M3's on dirty roads or in the rain (..or will detail their wheels with Q-tips only to drive and immediately have all of that work go to waste)........I won't drive without the gloves.


...and I'm not the only one who enjoys these gloves


Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST