BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
simon2013
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

How to buy a new 2013 M3 from Dealer while out of the country

I tried searching through the forums but found no answers yet.

I'm currently out of the country on business travel, but will be returning home soon. I found a fully loaded E92 M3 (MSRP 75,425) that fits most of my needs, and so I contacted the dealership to negotiate over email. They are somewhat hesitant to hold the car for me even if I put down a deposit, and in my view is using this as part of their negotiations tactics (which I kind of expected). The only discount they offered so far is the $1500 customer cash rebate, which doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

My situation is complicated as I won't be physically present to sign for the car, and the dealership is located too far for family members to drive to. I have a expected return date, but my customer is finicky and likes to change things on a whim; so it is difficult to gauge when I will actually be home.

What are some purchase options for my situation? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
simon2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon2013 View Post
I tried searching through the forums but found no answers yet.

I'm currently out of the country on business travel, but will be returning home soon. I found a fully loaded E92 M3 (MSRP 75,425) that fits most of my needs, and so I contacted the dealership to negotiate over email. They are somewhat hesitant to hold the car for me even if I put down a deposit, and in my view is using this as part of their negotiations tactics (which I kind of expected). The only discount they offered so far is the $1500 customer cash rebate, which doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

My situation is complicated as I won't be physically present to sign for the car, and the dealership is located too far for family members to drive to. I have a expected return date, but my customer is finicky and likes to change things on a whim; so it is difficult to gauge when I will actually be home.

What are some purchase options for my situation? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1) don't negotiate through email. it's a good way to exchange information....like a build sheet, but not enough for you to feel like a real person to the salesperson . the phone is much more personal and can be advantageous in a negotiation.

2) don't tell anyone that you're out of the country.
a) first find out if you have to be present to sign papers. use the excuse that you're on business without letting on where you are exactly. most dealers will let you. but if one doesn't in the end...you've just wasted a lot of time.
b) once you've worked on numbers, filled out a credit report and have a deal....i.e made sure the dealer is now invested in your deal...then let them know where you are. as long as you can get fed ex wherever you are, you shouldn't have a problem.

c) you're out of the country....so shop nationwide. if one dealer won't play ball with you move on to the next one. in your position you should be talking to 3 dealers at once to work on a deals. then take your pick of the one you like. be prepare to spend up to 1000$ on transport fees if that dealer is across the country from you. IMO...not a big deal, if i'm working with a dealer that can work with my situation AND give me a great price.

d) you have to take delivery of the car. so once they have your signed documents, ship the car to a person you trust.

Last edited by Hyperjack; 06-27-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
simon2013
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Hyperjack!!

This is just what I needed!!

What do you think about granting a friend Power-of-Attorney to sign in my place, after I iron out a deal with the Dealership?
simon2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon2013 View Post
Thanks Hyperjack!!

This is just what I needed!!

What do you think about granting a friend Power-of-Attorney to sign in my place, after I iron out a deal with the Dealership?

that's shouldn't be necessary. if the dealer is willing to fedex you the paper work, and you can send them a cashiers check for the down/drive off....that's really it.

just make sure you have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance to email to them. i've even taken a photo of my driver's license with my iPhone.....that worked fine.

let the carrier know who should be receiving the vehicle, make sure they have ID and that should be it.

again, before you get too deep into the deal, make sure that the dealer would not need you present to sign papers.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST