BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!
27

 
Nati Beastcat's Avatar
 
Drives: E55 AMG
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati


Posts: 1,284
iTrader: (5)

looks sweet! I don't have the proper seats for this yet
__________________
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
s65e90
Banned
6

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo


Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

I think I would rather do a roll bar w/ harness bar.

For the price there are alot of competent chassis shops that will do a weld in bar for little $$

I was just quoted 1,000 to do a 6-point by a very capable road race/drag race shop
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
Drives: 2008 SSII E90 M3, 2009 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island New York


Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

cant wait to see what this will look like!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
MikeM5
Philippines
33

 
MikeM5's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, BRZ, X5 4.8is
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 910
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
I think I would rather do a roll bar w/ harness bar.

For the price there are alot of competent chassis shops that will do a weld in bar for little $$

I was just quoted 1,000 to do a 6-point by a very capable road race/drag race shop
Very true! Definitely a good handful of alternatives to this harness bar within a similar price range! This harness bar is a niche product no doubt and is one that can be enjoyed by people who absolutely need the rear seat functionality and easy installation/removal while adding harness capabilities. Not to mention being fabricated and manufactured by Challenge which, for a product more centered around safety versus style, I feel more assured.

If I didn't feel the need to use the rear seats, I'd be shopping around for a more permanent, legitimate setup from road/drag race shops just as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
164

 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors


Posts: 12,646
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM5 View Post
Very true! Definitely a good handful of alternatives to this harness bar within a similar price range! This harness bar is a niche product no doubt and is one that can be enjoyed by people who absolutely need the rear seat functionality and easy installation/removal while adding harness capabilities. Not to mention being fabricated and manufactured by Challenge which, for a product more centered around safety versus style, I feel more assured.

If I didn't feel the need to use the rear seats, I'd be shopping around for a more permanent, legitimate setup from road/drag race shops just as well.
once its in i doubt your going to remove it all the time. it just like track pads or partially stripping your interior. pretty soon you run race pads on the street and have no back seats all the time rather than deal with the pain of changing back and forth.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #28
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
126

 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown


Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

i want to swap seats in my m6. i wish these worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
soursamo
Lieutenant
Canada
9

 
soursamo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada


Posts: 538
iTrader: (13)

In!!
1. MikeM5
2. VictorH
3. evilspiritM3
4. studntloan
5. E90M3velocity
6. SourSamo

Thanks so much for organizing this!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
111


 
GTM_Challenge's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
I'm talking this over with our fabricator as well as insurance company. To make this part happen. We basically would want signed disclaimers from every buyer before we ship that they understand this is not meant as a life saving product etc. ( common disclosure for even pro cages ) as well as the customer will not place any occupants in the rear seats when the bar is installed. Each bar will also wear a warning label on it that states some of the same.

With the coupe version, you cant really even get in the back seats with the harness bar installed. In a sedan, its a bit different. It only takes one guy trying to fit people in back with the bar installed an hurt someone to ruin projects like this so we are just making sure everyone knows this and also is willing to agree to it in writing. We supply a similar disclaimer with all cage work and harness bars FYI.

This work for everyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
143


 
Sal@AUTOcouture's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ


Posts: 9,626
iTrader: (29)

Send a message via AIM to Sal@AUTOcouture
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge
I'm talking this over with our fabricator as well as insurance company. To make this part happen. We basically would want signed disclaimers from every buyer before we ship that they understand this is not meant as a life saving product etc. ( common disclosure for even pro cages ) as well as the customer will not place any occupants in the rear seats when the bar is installed. Each bar will also wear a warning label on it that states some of the same.

With the coupe version, you cant really even get in the back seats with the harness bar installed. In a sedan, its a bit different. It only takes one guy trying to fit people in back with the bar installed an hurt someone to ruin projects like this so we are just making sure everyone knows this and also is willing to agree to it in writing. We supply a similar disclaimer with all cage work and harness bars FYI.

This work for everyone?
You shouldn't have to ask. It is what it is if people what it
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
s65e90
Banned
6

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo


Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
I'm talking this over with our fabricator as well as insurance company. To make this part happen. We basically would want signed disclaimers from every buyer before we ship that they understand this is not meant as a life saving product etc. ( common disclosure for even pro cages ) as well as the customer will not place any occupants in the rear seats when the bar is installed. Each bar will also wear a warning label on it that states some of the same.

With the coupe version, you cant really even get in the back seats with the harness bar installed. In a sedan, its a bit different. It only takes one guy trying to fit people in back with the bar installed an hurt someone to ruin projects like this so we are just making sure everyone knows this and also is willing to agree to it in writing. We supply a similar disclaimer with all cage work and harness bars FYI.

This work for everyone?


Warning label should suffice. Any quality pro cage is designed to protect in rollovers (at least to not have the roof cave in) and IMO and I'm sure many courts of law would laugh at a reputable chassis shop putting/welding a plate to the cage to limit their liablitiy.

FYI just by denouncing your liability it will not reduce it. If a company is selling a product designed for a specific task, they can't eliminate alny liab. should something arise from it's use in that task.

Not one competent shop I know of places disclaimers on their cages as that one I saw on here. Hell, they stand behind a product 110% knowing it will save lives.

Now, to your product you shouldn't have to go that far as it's a harness bar and nothing more. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, so a simple sticker/disclaimer in packaging should suffice rather than having signed waivers.
I would not sign a waiver for a product purchase.

*easier said than typed so I hope this makes sense
* I work in a field you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
henryyxyu
Lieutenant
No_Country
16

 
Drives: E90 M3, F22 228i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA


Posts: 576
iTrader: (1)

Wish I saw this earlier! I'm interested

Quick question though, Would I have to modify the B-pillar cover to install this?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
111


 
GTM_Challenge's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
Warning label should suffice. Any quality pro cage is designed to protect in rollovers (at least to not have the roof cave in) and IMO and I'm sure many courts of law would laugh at a reputable chassis shop putting/welding a plate to the cage to limit their liablitiy.

FYI just by denouncing your liability it will not reduce it. If a company is selling a product designed for a specific task, they can't eliminate alny liab. should something arise from it's use in that task.

Not one competent shop I know of places disclaimers on their cages as that one I saw on here. Hell, they stand behind a product 110% knowing it will save lives.

Now, to your product you shouldn't have to go that far as it's a harness bar and nothing more. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, so a simple sticker/disclaimer in packaging should suffice rather than having signed waivers.
I would not sign a waiver for a product purchase.

*easier said than typed so I hope this makes sense
* I work in a field you mentioned

Actually I know of at least a few pro race shops ( Including Fall Line ) that do put liability disclaimers on the cage as well as in their paperwork. Just FYI. Its more common than you might think

While the item will do the job its intended, being able to install harnesses at the proper location in the car, we are more concerned about occupant safety and the item not being used as intended than our part working as it should and will.

We just need to have in writing that the item will be used as intended and safely within our given guidelines for use. You are correct that id does not eliminate liability, but If the items performs as intended and understood by the customer in writing they cannot make an easy case of " I didn't know I should have people in back, or that a harness bar does not protect you in a roll over or catastrophic accident"
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
111


 
GTM_Challenge's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
Wish I saw this earlier! I'm interested

Quick question though, Would I have to modify the B-pillar cover to install this?
We are trying to avoid any modification to interior parts as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
dj_dub
NoFüknJoke
Philippines
6

 
dj_dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 482
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Damn...I'm very interested in this. I'd be in for one once production starts...
__________________
ESS Tune | aFe Stage 2 CF Intake | RPi X-Pipe & Scoops | Akrapovic w/CF Tips | MS Pulleys | WPC Bearings w/ARP Bolts | KW S/O | Dinan CF Strut Braces | Varrstoen ES1 | Hankook V12 | Verstraβe Spacers | Hardwired V1 | Perf Elec Steering Wheel V2 | F10 M5 Shift Knob | OEM CF Trim | BMWPedals.com | Arkym CF Front Lip & Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS Extensions | OEM CF Spoiler & Mirror Covers | 3M Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #37
soursamo
Lieutenant
Canada
9

 
soursamo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada


Posts: 538
iTrader: (13)

Waiver doesn't seem like that big a deal!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
snowmants
Captain
United_States
17

 
snowmants's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 S14, '08 E90 M3, '11JeepGC
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA


Posts: 632
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
I think you will get even more interest in these as the e90 gets older and more affordable (ie you start to see more and more on the track)
__________________
'08 Alpine White E90 M3 DCT

"In the NASA 2012 rules just released, double clutch transmissions are officially +6 points."
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #39
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
27

 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack


Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Interested
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #40
evilspiritM3
Second Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadway, NC


Posts: 211
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
1987 535is  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
This would be the same set up on any E90, right? Think there is interest on the E90post side of the forum?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
164

 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors


Posts: 12,646
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
This would be the same set up on any E90, right? Think there is interest on the E90post side of the forum?
this is the thread for the e90 version yes.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
126

 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown


Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

I am very interested in seeing this application for the F13 M6!
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
evilspiritM3
Second Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadway, NC


Posts: 211
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
1987 535is  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
This would be the same set up on any E90, right? Think there is interest on the E90post side of the forum?
this is the thread for the e90 version yes.
Right, I meant for the 335/328 guys. There might be interest there to get the numbers up for the initial run.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #44
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
164

 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors


Posts: 12,646
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
Right, I meant for the 335/328 guys. There might be interest there to get the numbers up for the initial run.
oh got it didnt know bmw made anything besides m3s!
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bar, challenge, e90, harness

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST