BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source

06-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
CodeBlu
M3RCY

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [0.00]
2003 Acura NSX  [0.00]
Clear Bra Fail -- After Gtechniq C1 and EXO

After taking delivery of my new M3 - I immediately had the car detailed and then sealed with Gtechniq C1 base coat and then Gtechniq EXO as a top coat. This produced a beautiful finish which after further thought I decided a week later to apply a full front clear bra (Suntek ppf-c) to protect what I had.

I had an installer with over 20 years of experience in the business try all day to apply the clear bra - but could not because the surface was too slick and NOTHING would stick to the surface of the paint. He tells me this is first time that has happened to him and in fact he hasn't heard of this occurring before!!!

I have not read any posts or seen any reviews or reports on the internet that this has ever been an issue. My installer says he will now ask all prospective clients if they have had similar sealants applied. My only other option was to vigorously polish the coating off and they re-apply the clear bra - which I declined to do.....bring on the rock chips.

2013 E92 M3 DCT | IND ESS VT2-625 | Brembo BBK | KW Sleeve Kit | Eisenmann Sport/Challenge Sport X-pipe | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Revinora R-CRT Street Front Lip | Volk TE37SL
CodeBlu is offline   United_States
      06-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
pro-tect mobile
Private

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Some of these sealants are silicone based... which imbeds into the paint... and that's not good. It does make it difficult to install film on if there are areas that will have a lot of tension on them. BUT the M3 doesn't have any of those areas and it should stick just fine. Also Xpel makes an adhesive accelerator that will cause the adhesive to be stronger... so he should try that. I guess whats the point of having a shiny car if you get rock chips all over it? Kind of defeats the purpose and those chips will stand out even more now.
      06-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Lucci Elite
Banned

Drives: 13 MB CLS63 AMG

The only way to remove C1 and Exo is to do a paint correction... I use C1 and Exo as well in my company once its on there its not coming off...
      06-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Banned

Drives: BMW M3 coupe

(Suntek ppf-c) might be the issue. Maybe their adhesive isn't that strong.

I have installed on top of Opti-coat with no problem. Also a lot of times the installation, you have to tweak the solutions based on surface, temperature etc.

Post some pix, i want to see this G-Techniq on your car.
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
CodeBlu
M3RCY

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [0.00]
2003 Acura NSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post

I have installed on top of Opti-coat with no problem. Also a lot of times the installation, you have to tweak the solutions based on surface, temperature etc.

The installer also tried 3M Ventureshield and was similarly unable to get it to adhere to the finish. I have not tried Xpel Ultimate - don't know if their adhesives are better or not.

I plan on posting pics of the car soon - when its ready for its coming out party.....

2013 E92 M3 DCT | IND ESS VT2-625 | Brembo BBK | KW Sleeve Kit | Eisenmann Sport/Challenge Sport X-pipe | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Revinora R-CRT Street Front Lip | Volk TE37SL
CodeBlu is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post

Raja aka the man! Always willing to go out of his way to help

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is online now   United_States
      06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Raja Ventureshield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Raja aka the man! Always willing to go out of his way to help
lol. thanks Edwin. Just trying to help.
      06-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Raja Ventureshield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlu View Post
The installer also tried 3M Ventureshield and was similarly unable to get it to adhere to the finish. I have not tried Xpel Ultimate - don't know if their adhesives are better or not.

I plan on posting pics of the car soon - when its ready for its coming out party.....
fly me out to Arizona for the install and you will be amazed what can be done. Without taking anything away from the installer, working with these films (many brands) - I have learned to master them and install them in impossible conditions. I have installed it on permanent sealant without any problems.

Good luck and curious to see the pix of the car.
      08-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Chriskm3
Colonel

Drives: M3

Simple hi -speed polish will remove the product so application of vinyl will become possible
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada