BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ilya335
Private First Class

Drives: BMWs

BPM Sport DCT Software - My Impressions

After being so happy with the BPMSport Engine software (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744663) I decided to take the plunge and also have them program my DCT system as well.

Last month I called Mike up and ordered, and within a couple hours I had the file sitting in my inbox. Installation was a breeze (same thing as with loading the engine tune, but the software was called BPMShift instead of BPMFlash). I used the same cable and uploaded the file to the car without any issues in less than five minutes.

I wanted to wait on posting up my thoughts of the software by driving the car to gain an accurate representation of the difference. Now that Iíve had it for a solid month I figured I would share my thoughts.

First of all, the car now always starts in D, instead of S (manual) mode. In my opinion, that just makes more sense. I always hated clicking over twice to put the car in D on my morning commute to work. Another thing to note is that the car now remembers my S mode selection, so I donít have to keep putting it back up to S4 or S5 when I switch to manual mode Ė it already knows what I want.

The shifts are not only quicker, but smoother in all of the shift mode variations. Now, you can really feel a ďkickĒ from the up shifts, especially in S5-S6. I would say the shifts feel similar to SMG if you ever driven one. Be prepared to counter steer though if you do plan the 8400rpm 1st to 2nd shift while in S6 and cold tires. The power delivery feels a lot less interrupted during upshifts, kind of like a continual surge.

Launch Control RPM is lowered to 3500 from the previous 5500. Iíve only tried launch control once while the DCT had the stock software, so I canít really comment on the differences other than that it works. I do believe itís more manageable at 3500, since Iíve seen a few friends just burning out during LC, most likely due to cold tires. It seems to be a good compromise for getting off the line without overdoing it and causing wheel spin.

Downshifts have also improved, especially in the S1-S3 modes where the car will not always rev match during a downshift. Stock, going from 3rd to 2nd gear with no throttle input, the car would wait for a second and then shift down abruptly, as if someone tapped the brakes. With the BPM software, it downshifts a lot smoother in the same situation and does not feel as jerky. The computer clutch work seems to be much better. The initial clutch work from a start also seems to be slightly quicker. It feels like the computer slips the clutch less during parking and uphill starts. It also seems like there is less lag time in response from hitting the paddle, executing multiple downshifts, and switching from drive to reverse modes.

Overall Iím very satisfied with DCT tune. Itís an excellent complement to the engine software that I have. I know itís clichť to say, but the car should have been stock like this. Faster, quicker, smoother shifts in all aspects. I canít wait to try it out on the track to see how it performs.
      06-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
Colonel

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Very good description....
How i know this ?
I have the BPM tune & DCT software too,and it's amazing
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
      06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
alee0729
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2001 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335 View Post
First of all, the car now always starts in D, instead of S (manual) mode. In my opinion, that just makes more sense. I always hated clicking over twice to put the car in D on my morning commute to work. Another thing to note is that the car now remembers my S mode selection, so I donít have to keep putting it back up to S4 or S5 when I switch to manual mode Ė it already knows what I want.
This is the only thing that makes me sad. I enjoyed my car always starting in S... have to decide whether this becomes a deal breaker for me.
      06-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
Colonel

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee0729 View Post
This is the only thing that makes me sad. I enjoyed my car always starting in S... have to decide whether this becomes a deal breaker for me.
My car started before the BPM DCT software also in D-2 (Euro-spec.)
And now after... it starts still in D-2 ,and actualy i think it's match better!
Why ?.....when the motor & DCT are still cold,i prefer a smoother(softer) shift , think about the complexity of the DCT
But ones the motor and DCT are warmed up,you can drive here like you stolen it .....so it's bettter that we think about it... you know
Conclusion.... for me personal,it's just perfect !

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
      06-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
STi_traitor
Banned

Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Nice review!
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
      06-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
IMG
VT3

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Very nice,great review !

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
      06-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Glad you're enjoying it Ilya, thanks for the review!

We've heard nothing but good things so far, about 30 cars have the DCT software so far

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
Marco@McKennaPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Marco@McKennaPerformance Send a message via MSN to Marco@McKennaPerformance
I've had the DCT software on my E90 M3 for a few weeks now, and it's truly a night and day difference. The shifts are so much crisper, quicker, and smoother; especially the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. I'll post up a more in-depth review when I have a chance to get some footage of it in action

Props to BPM Sport and Mike Benvo for providing yet another amazing software for the E9X M3. Can't wait to get my Stage 2 Engine Software
      06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
vinniechin
Vinnie

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

For those with the DCT tune, has your driving modes/habits changed?

For example, if you use to drive in S4 or D4 all the time, do you now feel that S3 and D3 are adequate now for daily cruising, and S4 and D4 are now more for spirited driving? Does the programing take your S3 setting and make it become the S4 setting and so on so that we now have an S7 setting?

Its weird to me that after one company releases this remote tune capabilities others come out with similar offerings so quickly. I'm trying to wait for the reviews but I guess there's something to be said for the tuners that have actual positive reviews on the forums already. I don't know if its first mover advantage or actual better experience/knowledge?
vinniechin is online now   United_States