BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

GT Haus

06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Pertplus
Colonel

Drives: 2013 M3 & M5

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Totally confused...why doesn't the MSRP increase when adding perf. accessories?

So here is where I am confused and maybe some of you can help me out. I just ordered (meaning last week) an E92 M3. As part of my build, I added the following performance accessories: 1) all of the carbon fiber exterior mods; 2) cf interior trim; 3) performance exhaust; 4) performance steering wheel; and 5) black kidney grills.

Without the BMW OE performance accessories, my price for the build was about $65k and change, compared to about $70.5k for the MSRP. However, after adding the performance mods -- which I got for cost -- my price for the build went up around $6500 . But in the calculation of my lease payments, the MSRP didn't reflect the retail pricing/value of the performance accessories (about $8800), which would have brought the MSRP up to $79.3k.

I'm confused on why for purposes of calculating my lease payments, the MSRP doesnt reflect the retail pricing for all of the "performance accessories"? wouldn't go up in tandem with my invoice pricing. Is it because BMW doesn't view the addition of these "accesories" as adding value to the car? Any input from experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pertplus; 06-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Pertplus is online now   United_States
      06-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2014 328i

Because BMW doesn't residualize the accessories. So you are paying the full amount for them split between all your lease payments.

I would make sure that the parts are yours to keep after your lease is up. At least then you could sell them and get your own residual value for them.
      06-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Because BMW doesn't residualize the accessories. So you are paying the full amount for them split between all your lease payments.

I would make sure that the parts are yours to keep after your lease is up. At least then you could sell them and get your own residual value for them.
Good point. The only thing about buying them myself is whether in 3 years, am I going to get any real return on selling the performance exhaust? Or exterior CF parts? Especially since my pricing now includes install as opposed if I paid for them separately I wonder if it means I have to pay for the dealer to install?
      06-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Hyperjack
Captain

Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
..... Especially since my pricing now includes install as opposed if I paid for them separately I wonder if it means I have to pay for the dealer to install?
you should check wether the dealer is going to install these accessories or are they going to be installed at the port.

Quote:
....I would make sure that the parts are yours to keep after your lease is up. At least then you could sell them and get your own residual value for them.
to keep those parts, you'd have to have the replaced stock parts,right? if they install those accessories at the port...don't they keep those swapped out parts?

that's my understanding if you order a car with performance parts.
      06-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
you should check wether the dealer is going to install these accessories or are they going to be installed at the port.

to keep those parts, you'd have to have the replaced stock parts,right? if they install those accessories at the port...don't they keep those swapped out parts?

that's my understanding if you order a car with performance parts.
Port installation....
      06-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Quote:

this is good advice

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      06-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Hyperjack
Captain

Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Port installation....
from i know from the folks over at Steve Thomas BMW...they keep your swapped out parts.

so i don't know how you'd keep those performance parts on a lease return.
      06-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel

Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The parts are on the sticker just below the vehicle MSRP and they have their own MSRP. It is my understanding that they return with the car.
We are an M-Certified and DINAN Certified Dealer
Ali@BMWMt.laurel is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Good point. The only thing about buying them myself is whether in 3 years, am I going to get any real return on selling the performance exhaust? Or exterior CF parts? Especially since my pricing now includes install as opposed if I paid for them separately I wonder if it means I have to pay for the dealer to install?
You will definitely be able to resell parts. You will likely get at least 50% back on this forum... if not more. This of course depends on condition. Check the for sale section. M perf exhaust resells used for well over $2K.

If the parts need to be returned with the car then I suggest not rolling them into the lease. You should buy them seperately so that you can swap them out later. Otherwise you are losing about $4K of possible resale. That is a lot of money.
      06-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
You will definitely be able to resell parts. You will likely get at least 50% back on this forum... if not more. This of course depends on condition. Check the for sale section. M perf exhaust resells used for well over $2K.

If the parts need to be returned with the car then I suggest not rolling them into the lease. You should buy them seperately so that you can swap them out later. Otherwise you are losing about $4K of possible resale. That is a lot of money.
Cool...that seems to work. So that means if I wanted to do that, they would install at the dealership and not at the Port?
      06-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool...that seems to work. So that means if I wanted to do that, they would install at the dealership and not at the Port?

Installed at the plant when ordered with the car. In some instances at the port.
      06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@BMWMt.laurel View Post
Installed at the plant when ordered with the car. In some instances at the port.
Yeah I am not sure where it is exactly installed since I am not sure how things get installed at the port. Are there service centers there to professionally install them? Although it would be funny (not really) to find out that the captain of the vessel that brought my car over was also installing my exhaust.
      06-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant

Quote:
If you wanted to do that, you would get your car without all the parts on it. Then buy the parts you want from any dealer or third party. Many of these items you can install yourself. Otherwise you can have them installed by a dealer (which would probably be pricey) or a shop. There are several vendors on here that sell the parts for good prices.

When you need to turn your car back in, uninstall the parts and return the car back to stock. Then sell your parts to other enthusiasts on the forums.
      06-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
chris s
Major General

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:

You think the car is returned with no exhaust, no trim, etc? No... car is returned as is....

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
      06-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
You think the car is returned with no exhaust, no trim, etc? No... car is returned as is....
I don't understand what you're talking about...

If he buys the parts after leasing the car he can put the original oem exhaust back on. That's the point.
      06-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
M3 Esq
Major

Drives: Fast

Garage List
I had parts installed at the port. From what I understand, BMW does residualize certian portions of certain parts. For example, when I was considering leasing, I was told that $1K of the exhaust would be residualized. $450 of the performance spoiler. $0 on the splitters and mirror caps. In addition, for any parts that were residualized, those parts would need to be returnd with the lease.

Not sure what you were told regarding this, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I ended up purchasing because I wanted the PE and there was no way I was going to be out of pocket $3K on it and have to return it at lease end.

I am not exactly sure about the other parts you ordered, but my memory is that there was no residual on the CF interior trim or performance steering wheel. I am not sure about the grills.
M3 Esq is online now   United_States
      06-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
M3 Esq
Major

Drives: Fast

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure how handy you are, but all of the parts you ordered can be installed as DIYs. The exhaust might be the trickiest.

I would also submit the added benefit of having these items installed at the port is that they will all be covered by the factory warranty. It's worth considering. FWIW I had the exhaust and spoiler installed at the port and bought the caps, splitters and grills from forum sponsors at a considerable discount and installed myself.
M3 Esq is online now   United_States
      06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
If you wanted to do that, you would get your car without all the parts on it. Then buy the parts you want from any dealer or third party. Many of these items you can install yourself. Otherwise you can have them installed by a dealer (which would probably be pricey) or a shop. There are several vendors on here that sell the parts for good prices.

When you need to turn your car back in, uninstall the parts and return the car back to stock. Then sell your parts to other enthusiasts on the forums.
Thanks!
      06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
In order for the parts to be residualized a certain number of them have to be purchased together.
      06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I had parts installed at the port. From what I understand, BMW does residualize certian portions of certain parts. For example, when I was considering leasing, I was told that $1K of the exhaust would be residualized. $450 of the performance spoiler. $0 on the splitters and mirror caps. In addition, for any parts that were residualized, those parts would need to be returnd with the lease.

Not sure what you were told regarding this, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I ended up purchasing because I wanted the PE and there was no way I was going to be out of pocket $3K on it and have to return it at lease end.

I am not exactly sure about the other parts you ordered, but my memory is that there was no residual on the CF interior trim or performance steering wheel. I am not sure about the grills.
I have no handyman skills (responding to the second post of yours)...and you are right, because I got the CF interior and kidney grills, my residual went from 61% to 62% and up $500. The exhaust, steering wheel and interior trim do not residualize. I am going to do some homework on how to get it installed and not rolled into the lease...but have it installed before I take delivery.

Thanks for the insight!
      06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
Not sure how handy you are, but all of the parts you ordered can be installed as DIYs. The exhaust might be the trickiest.

I would also submit the added benefit of having these items installed at the port is that they will all be covered by the factory warranty. It's worth considering. FWIW I had the exhaust and spoiler installed at the port and bought the caps, splitters and grills from forum sponsors at a considerable discount and installed myself.
Im getting all of the accessories for wholesale cost (installed)...so not sure how much better pricing I could find, unless I went aftermarket and had an indy shop install. I'd rather just have everything installed altogether -- saves me time and headaches; even if it costs me a little more.
      06-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Drives: ^^^^^

are you the same pertplus from mbworld? welcome
tbone28 is offline   United_States