BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
right ? these CA boys dont know what bad roads really look like.
Agreed. Up until 1 year ago, I spent most of my life in the Midwest where it snows, freezes, thaws, salt, sand, etc. Even the worst roads in CA don't compare to the potholes and road hazards in the snow belt. Salt deteriorates the roads, snow plows scrape the road and rip chunks out all winter. Crews spend the summer repairing roads.... then it happens all over again the next winter. I find it funny when CA residents complain about the roads. I also laugh when CA people complain about anything weather related .

Within a month of moving here I installed coilovers because I was so excited about the quality of the roads. My recommendation is coilovers and 18's.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)

Last edited by slicer; 06-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.
      06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
trex858
Private

Drives: 2010 m3 DCT Le Mans Blue

I have 19's and RD lowering springs and while i don't drive around down town San Diego a lot, i didn't think its was that bad the times that i have

Just my opinion though.
      06-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

I chuckle at the "19's are bad for your back side" and "ride quality sucks compared to the 18's" comments. It isn't THAT bad! Slicer, I agree.

OP, how you treat potholes and bad roads should really be no different regardless of whether or not your car is lowered. A pothole is a pothole, and it's going to mess up a wheel or cause a bubble in a tire regardless (...if hit hard enough).
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      06-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I think the car stock with 19's is uber comfy. If holes are big enough to do a number on the 19's, they might just get the 18's too. Steer clear of sink holes.
Denk is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #27
enigma01
Fight On!

Drives: M3 e93/e92, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
SD streets are surprisingly terrible! I wouldn't own this (especially lowered with nice wheels) if I had to deal with those roads!

OC roads are smooth as silk! :nannernanner:
I grew up in OC and moved to SD, and I still visit OC twice a month. Yes, *some* cities have very smooth roads (e.g. Irvine), but the other parts of OC are not that much better (e.g. Santa Ana).

The same applies to SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
So what's funny is I text my boy late today (who has this car: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719611) and I ask him how the drive is. He's like "pretty smooth" (he lives outside downtown SD). So then I ask him how it is in downtown and I get this response "Oh I hate driving downtown....it's brutal."
Actually, I live in downtown SD (one of the high-rise Marina District buildings), so I drive these roads on a daily basis. Frankly, it's not that bad, especially, if you know which roads to avoid. As you are probably aware, some parts of downtown streets have recently been repaved (e.g. Ash), so stick to those. When the roads get really rough, it doesn't matter whether you have the 18's or 19's.
enigma01 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Pertplus
Colonel

Drives: 2014 991 C2S

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I chuckle at the "19's are bad for your back side" and "ride quality sucks compared to the 18's" comments. It isn't THAT bad! Slicer, I agree.

OP, how you treat potholes and bad roads should really be no different regardless of whether or not your car is lowered. A pothole is a pothole, and it's going to mess up a wheel or cause a bubble in a tire regardless (...if hit hard enough).
I agree with that sentiment. My main purpose of the post was not whether an 18" or 19" will withstand more punishment, but rather, when you drive around on crappy streets on 19s...do you in the M3 coupe, consistently wish you had smaller wheels and more rubber. Because I am not going to go through the trial and error process of swapping out suspension kit after suspension kit -- and because I only have one friend with an M3 and he has KW V3s -- I wanted to see what the different views were on the issue of driving an M3 coupe with 19" wheels on non-smoothly paved roads (and what people used to combat excessive compression and rebounding).

I made the mistake of getting a C63 in Newport Beach, and many of the roads there are paved with silk and cashmere....and once I get back to downtown SD, reality struck. While San Diego may not compare to a Detroit, Cleveland, NY, Boston, etc....that doesn't mean the streets in downtown SD where I live still don't suck. I went to college in Wisconsin and law school in St. Louis, so I know crappy weather...but SD's infrastructure is horrendous.
Pertplus is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
I grew up in OC and moved to SD, and I still visit OC twice a month. Yes, *some* cities have very smooth roads (e.g. Irvine), but the other parts of OC are not that much better (e.g. Santa Ana).

The same applies to SD.

Actually, I live in downtown SD (one of the high-rise Marina District buildings), so I drive these roads on a daily basis. Frankly, it's not that bad, especially, if you know which roads to avoid. As you are probably aware, some parts of downtown streets have recently been repaved (e.g. Ash), so stick to those. When the roads get really rough, it doesn't matter whether you have the 18's or 19's.
Great point. I live in East Village, and took market street to get my car detailed on Market and 27th...and those streets feel and look like Edward James Olmos's face.
      06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
I agree with that sentiment. My main purpose of the post was not whether an 18" or 19" will withstand more punishment, but rather, when you drive around on crappy streets on 19s...do you in the M3 coupe, consistently wish you had smaller wheels and more rubber. Because I am not going to go through the trial and error process of swapping out suspension kit after suspension kit -- and because I only have one friend with an M3 and he has KW V3s -- I wanted to see what the different views were on the issue of driving an M3 coupe with 19" wheels on non-smoothly paved roads (and what people used to combat excessive compression and rebounding).

I made the mistake of getting a C63 in Newport Beach, and many of the roads there are paved with silk and cashmere....and once I get back to downtown SD, reality struck. While San Diego may not compare to a Detroit, Cleveland, NY, Boston, etc....that doesn't mean the streets in downtown SD where I live still don't suck. I went to college in Wisconsin and law school in St. Louis, so I know crappy weather...but SD's infrastructure is horrendous.

FWIW, I've run TEIN and KW coilover kits and I've run H&R's on EDC shocks. I have NEVER once regretted lowering a vehicle. The amount of sacrifice moving to a larger wheel/reduced sidewall is almost imperceptible. What IS more noticeable is moving to a wider wheel/tire. Tramlining, road degradation, etc. is more noticeable with a wider wheel/tire combo because of the increased surface area. Even still, I like knowing what the road is doing below me; I'm not looking for a muted driving experience. To each their own though. I think you'll be fine, and 19's look proper on an M3 (...when compared to 18's, and excluding track oriented vehicles) in much the same way that 22's look proper on an X5 (..when compared to 19's or 20's respectively...........subjective I know!). I didn't really start liking the look of my new X5 until I ditched the M-Sport 20's, added 22's and put spacers on the car; my X5 has flared fenders. Now it looks good!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Well now this whole post is moot...just ordered some 19" HRE P44SCs and will be getting the KW sleeve to go with it. The mod addiction continues!
      06-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
808MGuy
Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Well now this whole post is moot...just ordered some 19" HRE P44SCs and will be getting the KW sleeve to go with it. The mod addiction continues!
Nice! Honestly, you can't go wrong with HRE. Mine have taken several really hard hits from potholes and are still going strong.
      06-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Ricfutures
Lieutenant

Drives: EB M235i

I avoid driving downtown SD only on weekend evenings due to cops, "amateur night" crowds and lack of decent parking. Drive slow and if you have a lip with a drop watch out for the dips.

Vorsteiner * AD08 * Revinora (SOLD)
EB M235i (CURRENT)

Last edited by Ricfutures; 06-22-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Ricfutures is offline   United_States
      06-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Nice! Honestly, you can't go wrong with HRE. Mine have taken several really hard hits from potholes and are still going strong.
Yeah I love them! My CLS63 is on HRE's S101 wheels and I have the S104s coming too. Saw a F10 M5 at the HRE open house this Saturday and it was sitting on P44SCs and the setup looked sick!
      06-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #35
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'

Drives: 13 E92 - AW

I have comp pkg wit 19's and lowered on B&G springs. I live in OC but drive in SD for work all the time. No issues at all. The best test is my wife. For one she didn't even notice the difference in ride when I got the springs. Totally happy and would so it again.
M3forMe is offline   United_States
      06-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
I have comp pkg wit 19's and lowered on B&G springs. I live in OC but drive in SD for work all the time. No issues at all. The best test is my wife. For one she didn't even notice the difference in ride when I got the springs. Totally happy and would so it again.
Nice! Definitely makes me feel better about my decision.
      06-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #37
Jremmy
Medic

Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Congrats! I've got a competition package w 20" P40s (245 front/285 rear on PSS) w ZERO complaints. I drive dtown at least 4 times a week FWIW (live in crown point). You'll probably find that tire choice is very crucial in determining the comfort level. I'd say my M feels less harsh than my wife's X5 which is on 20s w run flats.
I'd highly recommend going with the Ohlins coil over setup over the K&W sleeve-over kit. If i couldve done it all over again, I wouldve ordered a non EDC car and put the R&T setup on my car at delivery. In any case, enjoy your new wheels and stance!!!
      06-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
Pertplus
Colonel

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
Congrats! I've got a competition package w 20" P40s (245 front/285 rear on PSS) w ZERO complaints. I drive dtown at least 4 times a week FWIW (live in crown point). You'll probably find that tire choice is very crucial in determining the comfort level. I'd say my M feels less harsh than my wife's X5 which is on 20s w run flats.
I'd highly recommend going with the Ohlins coil over setup over the K&W sleeve-over kit. If i couldve done it all over again, I wouldve ordered a non EDC car and put the R&T setup on my car at delivery. In any case, enjoy your new wheels and stance!!!
Already have PSS's on standby for when I get a delivery date. Didn't do the competition package but I've been told that with the DDC, I will get a better ride and the sleeve kit will allow me to adjust and not have to remove my suspension.