BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

06-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #133
AndreyT
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Thanks to our constitution, religion just the same as atheism, will fly in your face when ever it wants.
No, it won't. Thanks to the very same constitution, one's freedoms end exactly where other's freedoms begin. The analogy with genitalia is indeed very precise (and we all know what rather well know quote this is in reference to).
AndreyT is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #134
shah269
Captain

Drives: 2009

Well i for one find the declaration of one’s religion in the office very unprofessional since it may bring about petty arguments...note the past 7 pages.
shah269 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #135
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Love how something is VERY unprofessional because it MAY bring about....

The only people that start petty arguments are people like you. People who respect other peoples views and respect their right to express them (if your office allows) don't start petty arguments over it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #136
shah269
Captain

Hey I wasn't askign so why you telling?

It's like being gay...you really don't need to tell me...though i'm 100% ok if you are....and i'm really not going to ask you.

Sound ok to you? Because it sounds great to me!
      06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #137
AndreyT
Captain

Petty arguments? What petty arguments?

I work in a very hi-tech area, involving massive amount of complex math, physics and programming skills. I can't imagine people working in our field to suddenly start expressing their religious views in the office. This sort of behavioral gaffe is completely incompatible with the level of educational and intellectual development required for working in such fields. Moreover, I can't see this happening in any white-collar office for the very same reasons.

If something like that would happen, it wouldn't start any petty arguments. It would simply raise some eyebrows and make some index fingers to twirl near some temples.
      06-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #138
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Hey I wasn't askign so why you telling?

It's like being gay...you really don't need to tell me...though i'm 100% ok if you are....and i'm really not going to ask you.

Sound ok to you? Because it sounds great to me!
so are you gay?

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      06-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #139
shah269
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Petty arguments? What petty arguments?

I work in a very hi-tech area, involving massive amount of complex math, physics and programming skills. I can't imagine people working in our field to suddenly start expressing their religious views in the office. This sort of behavioral gaffe is completely incompatible with the level of educational and intellectual development required for working in such fields. Moreover, I can't see this happening in any white-collar office for the very same reasons.

If something like that would happen, it wouldn't start any petty arguments. It would simply raise some eyebrows and make some index fingers to twirl near some temples.
yeah well...why do you think I’m trying to find a head hunter right now and maybe find a new job? FYI...how the hell does one find a head hunter when they are an engineer for the defense industry and have security clearance, MBA and a Six Sigma black belt?
      06-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #140
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
yeah well...why do you think I’m trying to find a head hunter right now and maybe find a new job? FYI...how the hell does one find a head hunter when they are an engineer for the defense industry and have security clearance, MBA and a Six Sigma black belt?
Don't bother with the headhunters, most defense firms aren't doing much hiring right now, especially the box makers that need engineers (depends on what kind of course). Just for you, here's a job board you can tap to jump start you: http://www.chappellnetwork.org.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #141
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'

Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Lol

Ohhh politics and religion....such fine categories for discussion
Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi), Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: PTF Tune, RB Turbos, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, AA 2.0 FMIC, VRSF 3" DPs, Berk Mids, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV.
Colt is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #142
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269
Well i for one find the declaration of one’s religion in the office very unprofessional since it may bring about petty arguments...note the past 7 pages.

So what to do about a woman who wears a hijab ( Muslim head scarf), or a Muslim man who wears one of those knit caps, or a Sikh who wears a turban, etc. - is that really different than "hi - I'm Joe, and I'm a Christian?" (Btw - I think Joe's statement isn't a good idea either).
      06-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #143
kmarei
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
So what to do about a woman who wears a hijab ( Muslim head scarf), or a Muslim man who wears one of those knit caps, or a Sikh who wears a turban, etc. - is that really different than "hi - I'm Joe, and I'm a Christian?" (Btw - I think Joe's statement isn't a good idea either).
or a Christian who wears a cross?

06-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #144
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei
Quote:
or a Christian who wears a cross?

Is it the size of their head?
      06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #145
shah269
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Don't bother with the headhunters, most defense firms aren't doing much hiring right now, especially the box makers that need engineers (depends on what kind of course). Just for you, here's a job board you can tap to jump start you: http://www.chappellnetwork.org.
Thanks buddy...but i'm ready willing and able to get as far from defense has humanly possible!
It was a fun 10 year run but well....it's time to go on.....so hence the head hunter.

As for the hejab, yes.

What are the new French laws regarding this issue? No outward displayed of religion are allowed in the workplace?

I use to work in the EU and well....i have to admit i liked it.
      06-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #146
kmarei
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Is it the size of their head?
Not but it is visibly showing what religion they are

06-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #147
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
No, it won't. Thanks to the very same constitution, one's freedoms end exactly where other's freedoms begin. The analogy with genitalia is indeed very precise (and we all know what rather well know quote this is in reference to).
You're confusing freedoms with opinions or beliefs.

My freedom of religion and speech are the same as yours. Me expression my religious beliefs do not disallow you to express your non religious beliefs. You utilizing your freedom of speech does not science me or end my freedom of speech. Even if you do perpetrate your opinions as fact, it's still your right of free speech and doesn't affect mine.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      06-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #148
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Wow
You're really messed up, I think it goes behind just racism
For your info, Christianity did not arise in Europe
It arose in the Middle East, so there goes your messed up superior crap our the window.

And numerically they are not low
The total population of Europe (not sure how you feel about Eastern Europe, if they too are "special") is roughy the same as the population of the Arab world.

Just because you have no pride in being Chinese (obviously) and are infatuated with "white people", doesn't mean we all have to.

It's funny that your entire response just confirmed how racist you are
Thanks
Where do we start.
First you are confusing culture with race. I am not proposing eugenics
I understand the first reaction is RACISM ... well do you have a second, more considered reaction? If not, can't help you there.
It is not about "the white race" or genetic superiority or whatever you have construed it to mean - it is simply that WHITE PEOPLE, WHO BELIEVED IN JESUS, FORMED THE MOST ADVANCED SOCIETIES IN HISTORY. period. is that still racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
This thread is on the verge of being closed LOL!

Good point Ayrton Senna.

As a "Latino" I identify as American first and Ecuadorian dead-last, however that does not mean I want to be "white" or anything other than brown-skinned.
exactly, my skin is yellow (no, I am not a Simpson) but why do I dream mostly in english? I live in a mostly Chinese city that's fairly westernized..
has nothing to do with wanting to be something else

UNLESS you have a pic of fair-skinned man as your avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
+ 1. What's so sad though is that the Chinese have to sit in the back during the 'white power' club meetings...
I can not be offended by that. Try harder..

Quote:
In that case you must also be a fan of the Japanese?

through their superior intellect, and because of their superiority, and technology, they were able to conquer large parts of China, loot all their resources, along with raping their women, and killing roughly 23 million Chinese.
They also tested biological weapons on the weaker, therefore inferior Chinese race (based on your line of thinking, not mine)

your thoughts?
Not really. I lot of 'dumb' locals here love to worship the superiority of Japanese culture without realizing it is contingent on western culture for all the technology.
I understand if you don't like whitey because they destroy the ME or whatever, by all means go Saladin on their ass..

Quote:
right behind the arabs
It doesn't offend me. But I can appreciate if you are a minority not in your own country..

Quote:
So to recap
Religion like your gentiles has a time and a place for its proper display....the office is just not one of them.
And the next time one of these guys or gals introduces themselves as "I'm Joe the Christian" I'm just going to have to introduce myself as "Shah the creator of the universe." Let’s see how that flies with them.
The profound Shah may have a point ... hmm.. have to medidate on this

Quote:
so are you gay?
That was discussed last year.
      06-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #149
kmarei
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
?. it is simply that WHITE PEOPLE, WHO BELIEVED IN JESUS, FORMED THE MOST ADVANCED SOCIETIES IN HISTORY. period. is that still racist
Let's break it down to the simplest terms, for your sake.
Do you think the "white people" could have achieved all that without colonization?
The Brits, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Germans all colonized countries in Africa, Asia. Stealing their wealth, and building their so called "society" off of it.

So are we giving credit to a "people" whose means to what they got is outright theft?

It has nothing to do with who they worshiped, if you think Jesus was the reason they succeeded then you really are messed up in the head.

Another question is, why are you living in china?
Why aren't you living with the whities?

06-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #150
AndreyT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
it is simply that WHITE PEOPLE, WHO BELIEVED IN JESUS, FORMED THE MOST ADVANCED SOCIETIES IN HISTORY. period. is that still racist
No, it is not racist. It is demagogic. It is no different from saying that people who ate cucumbers formed the most advanced societies in history. It might be true, but claiming that cucumbers somehow had anything to do with it is demagogy. From the most basic point of view, it is the same thing with religion.

But if you look deeper with religion it gets even more interesting.

All technologically advanced societies in history were formed in spite of religion. All advanced societies in history were formed as a victory over religion's attempts to drag them back into mediocrity or decay. So, in that sense, the religion mattered. It mattered as one of those things that can be counted under "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" category. The advanced societies became that advanced specifically because they found a way to keep the negative influence of religion in check.

Take USA, for example. USA chose the approach that is pretty typical for indoctrination regimes: instead of trying to oppress religion, they use their brainwashing apparatus to deform religion into an inert form. American Protestantism, of course, became the primary target of that process, but Catholicism was targeted as well. The way Christianity is practiced today in USA, it is a watered-down drive-through version of it. It's connection to Christianity for a typical American is purely superficial. Basically, most of the modern American "believers" known how to spell "Jesus", but even that is not guaranteed. That's about it. That is how the US regime achieved its victory over religion.

USSR, for another example, had to live with Orthodox denomination of Catholicism - a significantly more developed and involving version of Christianity. So, being an authoritarian regime, USSR did what authoritarian regimes do: they established de-jure prohibition of religious practices, while keeping people de-facto free to do it. That was the USSRs path to advancement, that is how the Soviet regime achieved its victory over religion.

Which way of controlling religion is better: Soviet-style oppression of religion, or USA-style degradation of religion into an inert harmless form, is a matter of opinion. But there's no doubt that religion has to be shoved out of the way for the society to advance technologically. The primary reason some Middle Eastern countries lag in their technological advancement is the simple fact that they are unwilling to take either path. Maybe they'll find their own way. Maybe there is no other way.

But one can take it even further: technologically advanced societies became that advanced because they managed to smartly use religion to their advantage, as an efficient method to keeping their "non-advance-able" population in check, out of the way of progress.

So, it is not enough to just put the words "advanced societies" and "Jesus" into one sentence, and then finish it with a "period". That by itself won't convey any specific meaning.

Last edited by AndreyT; 06-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
      06-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #151
Eagle1oh7
Captain

Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Take USA, for example. USA chose the approach that is pretty typical for indoctrination regimes: instead of trying to oppress religion, they use their brainwashing apparatus to deform religion into an inert form. American Protestantism, of course, became the primary target of that process, but Catholicism was targeted as well. They way Christianity is practiced today in USA, it is a watered-down drive-through version of it. It's connection to Christianity for a typical American is purely superficial. Basically, most of the modern American "believers" known how to spell "Jesus", but even that is not guaranteed. That's about it. That is how the US regime achieved its victory over religion.
Interesting point, but how does that factor into the modern day US? Religion has gotten out of control in the South and Mid-West states. People refuse to believe in the fossil record or anything that represents progress and innovation like Stem Cell research, all the brilliance this country once held has diminished due to politicians from said parts of the country. Now the brilliant minds we once grew at home in great numbers is a commodity provided from abroad.

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, MMW Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Eagle1oh7 is offline   United_States
      06-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #152
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7
Quote:
Take USA, for example. USA chose the approach that is pretty typical for indoctrination regimes: instead of trying to oppress religion, they use their brainwashing apparatus to deform religion into an inert form. American Protestantism, of course, became the primary target of that process, but Catholicism was targeted as well. They way Christianity is practiced today in USA, it is a watered-down drive-through version of it. It's connection to Christianity for a typical American is purely superficial. Basically, most of the modern American "believers" known how to spell "Jesus", but even that is not guaranteed. That's about it. That is how the US regime achieved its victory over religion.
Interesting point, but how does that factor into the modern day US? Religion has gotten out of control in the South and Mid-West states. People refuse to believe in the fossil record or anything that represents progress and innovation like Stem Cell research, all the brilliance this country once held has diminished due to politicians from said parts of the country. Now the brilliant minds we once grew at home in great numbers is a commodity provided from abroad.

'Believing the Fossil record' or not probably won't stymie any development in the southern states, or anywhere else. And stem cell research isn't banned, it just isn't federally funded - because it's not a strong payback. The issue previously was in using stem cells from aborted fetuses - not in other stem cell research. And scientists have now found ways to use non-fetal stem cells, which has removed the abortion component.

I'm amazed at your sweeping generalization of southern states - you should get out more.
      06-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #153
Nkc
Lieutenant

Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Another question is, why are you living in china?
Why aren't you living with the whities?
Dude obviously hasn't been to Hong Kong.

E89 35i DCT E36 Z3 M-Roadster
      06-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #154
schoy
Private First Class

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
The way Christianity is practiced today in USA, it is a watered-down drive-through version of it. It's connection to Christianity for a typical American is purely superficial. Basically, most of the modern American "believers" known how to spell "Jesus", but even that is not guaranteed. That's about it.
Way to generalize. Do you have any support for this or are you just hyperbolizing?