BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone go from M3 to Z06? SC m3 specifically...

Hi,

I recently (two months ago) sold my SC'ed M3 (ess 575, hfc) and purchased JSB 08 Z06. I've only driven the car for 2 hours in traffic and then dropped it off at the port. I'm patiently waiting on it to arrive (taking 9 weeks instead of promissed 5-6 weeks... don't ship with shipoverseas.com). It was a pretty even trade (minus shipping cost). Z06 has bilstein suspension, APX two piece rotors, aftermarket nav, back up camera, running 295/345 tires, 2LZ options. M3 was fully loaded, carbon fiber inside, 6 speed, E90, blacklines tails, Jrz blk, black nostrils, 575kit, Fabspeed hfc&xpipe, comp wheels...

My first impressions are: power eventhough my m3 was 600hp, it did not feel as fast as the z06... but true comparison will come once i take the vette on the autobahn. There could be positives and negatives. I took my friend that had c5z for a high speed ride and he was like it's so quiet, so planted. My buddy with a GTR said the same thing (his was lots faster though), I could hold the steering wheel with one hand at 180mph and not raise my voice when talking. The shifter in the Z felt a lot better, although the shifts are violent, it feels like the car wants to rip everything underneath it... m3 felt like a little pony compared to stallion (first impression, more to come later). Steering felt better on the M3, vettes felt a bit numb in the middle. I was only able to take one on ramp at moderate speed, and i wasn't really sure how much grip i had : , where with m3 u knew it.


Interior: Seating, well, this was given and known, m3 seats are better.... However!, i much preffer the way u are seated in the corvette! I really like how you sit low, everything just wraps around you, those huge fenders up front, the small windows, u know u driving a beast/sports car... m3, most of the time, felt like a plain car, until you look for those badges (or start pressing go pedal). Maybe cause i'm 27 i preffer the feeling of a sport car over the gt car. I don't think it's THAT bad. I really dig the buttons to open the doors, the central panel is nice black with nice metal bezels for cup holders. I already ordered DSV steering wheel (i loved my m3 steering wheel), it's D premium, so flat on the buttom with alcantra on the sides and perforated letter(blue stiching). For the door buttons i'll be ordering carbon bits. The central arm rest, i'll be ordering that in alcantra as well(with blue stiching). So just those few pieces will make the interior much nicer, and that's $800 total. Seats can be upgraded to something REALLY nice, something that koning owners prob have, but they are at $4.5k for both (maybe after deployment i'll get them). Side panels can be done nicely too. (below is an example of $6-7k spent well on interior).

Reliability: well... m3 was trouble free, mostly... brakes were the weak point. I was always worried about them. On track days they got pushed to the limit, pads were wearing out quickly. There is a lot of braking on the autobahn too (especially when u driving 150+mph and somone jumps in front of you at 80mph). They worked well, but I always wanted a lot more brakes. Second, oil changes... i did mine at 7.5k miles. At $15 a can x 9, that's a lot... plus SC oil. Corvette, the biggest fear is valve train... engines seem to be popping like hot chick poping bubble wrap. It makes me really scared, and I am starting a fund for head work (I'd prob need extra to get some mods in as well as to not waste money). That's pretty much it.

Modding: It seems that Z is a lot more mod friendly in a perfect world, but with shelling out 3-4K for preventive head work makes it close to on par with m3 mod $... $3.5k for head work, $1k cam, $3k headers, $.5k intake, $1k tune is about a supercharger price (though z will carry much more power at this price point).

Reasons for switch: The main reason i switched is because i wanted a more track oriented car (i'll be tracking nurburgring mostly... did 7:45 in the m3), but not a track car. I need a daily, and a car for road trips. I believe z06 will be better for the autobahn due to gearing. I often wanted to cruise at 150+mph, but m3 iwas at 6-7k rpm there (although i did it a few times when going to the airport). My m3 had 65k miles (15k supercharged), and I wanted something with less miles. Z06 also seems much better on gas too.

Any impressions from people that switched these two cars?

pic of my old m3


pic of my new vette... p.s. just like any right minded corvette owner i found out that this color/wheel combo is one out of 40 ever made



example of money spent well on interior.




I'm taking the corvettes away from old people and starting a new trend.

accell in my m3 before the sale... curious if vette would be any faster up top, doubtful.. although one BIG factor is how much the m's speedo lies, it's lying like it's his job. I haven't been able to do GPS measurements at 200mph, but at about 150mph it's off by 7mph. Z's speed was on point up to 100mph (aftermarket nav has GPS speedo).


Last edited by kotik; 06-21-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
35
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Very Nice!

I'm eyeing the C7 Z06 Vs. M4 for my next car. I just think the Z06 cars have so much bang for the buck its crazy not to consider it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I test drove one, that car is insane.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

thanks!

C7 z06 is long away... i considered regular C7, but by the time i'd be able to buy one at MSRP or lower it would be next year and i'd be gone from germany. They start receiving cars late septmber and those sell over or at msrp (everyone knows not to buy american cars at msrp)... plus few months to ship and it'd be winter time (and i'd be deployed)... Plus, regular C7 won't touch a C6Z06 in performance (according to forums and my PS3 GT5 comparo lol).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
422
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

The Corvette is a great race car, but it wreaks of mid life crisis. Around here I think the Corvette is more of a status symbol than a race car. Most of the guys I see driving them are just cruising the speed limit and it seems they are more focused on listening to talk news radio rather than having an awesome driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,256
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773034
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,474
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Nice color!! I've ridden in a few Z06es at the track and they are stunning performers. Although if you think you went through brakes fast on the M3, just wait until you start tracking the Vette. I thought that the Vette being so much lighter would help in that regard, but my mechanic/instructor buddy and several Vette people at the track say that the low weight benefit is vastly outweighed by the fact that Vettes are so fast that you're always carrying so much more speed into turns, so the brakes have to work that much harder. I hear that Cool Carbon pads are the way to go on Vettes.

And screw the midlife crisis stigma. It's like the stigma of BMW drivers being pricks (though Top Gear says that's shifted to Audi ). The people who know you should understand that you're a car enthusiast who bought the car because it's a fun car, same with the M3. And life's too short to consider what people who don't know you think about your car. Congrats again!!
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
85
Rep
5,412
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
thanks!

C7 z06 is long away... i considered regular C7, but by the time i'd be able to buy one at MSRP or lower it would be next year and i'd be gone from germany. They start receiving cars late septmber and those sell over or at msrp (everyone knows not to buy american cars at msrp)... plus few months to ship and it'd be winter time (and i'd be deployed)... Plus, regular C7 won't touch a C6Z06 in performance (according to forums and my PS3 GT5 comparo lol).
I thought the C7 Stingray was supposed to match up pretty good with a C6 Gran Sport?

No denying that these cars insane performance cars for a reasonable price. You said engines were problematic. I'm not familiar with the platform, can you explain what the problems are?

The reason I'm staying with the E9x M3 is because the S65 doesn't have main issues with the engine. To me that's a huge deal. And no, I'm not really listening to all the rod bearing talks yet.

Nice car man! Love the color
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
119
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

money well spent indeed on that interior! wow, i never realized how good a Z06 interior could be. Is it aftermarket or OEM?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Nice color!! I've ridden in a few Z06es at the track and they are stunning performers. Although if you think you went through brakes fast on the M3, just wait until you start tracking the Vette. I thought that the Vette being so much lighter would help in that regard, but my mechanic/instructor buddy and several Vette people at the track say that the low weight benefit is vastly outweighed by the fact that Vettes are so fast that you're always carrying so much more speed into turns, so the brakes have to work that much harder. I hear that Cool Carbon pads are the way to go on Vettes.

And screw the midlife crisis stigma. It's like the stigma of BMW drivers being pricks (though Top Gear says that's shifted to Audi ). The people who know you should understand that you're a car enthusiast who bought the car because it's a fun car, same with the M3. And life's too short to consider what people who don't know you think about your car. Congrats again!!
Thanks!

Actually only saw 2 in that color that were reasonably priced.

Regarding brakes, well my m3 was pushing a tad more than stock hp, and i'm sure stock for stock z's brakes are a little better. Plus i have aftermarket dual rotors (($1600 for all 4).

I don't care what people really think about drivers... it did deter me 4 years ago when i was looking at base c6, but now i just don't care what older gents drive it... plus here in europe that's not the case
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
money well spent indeed on that interior! wow, i never realized how good a Z06 interior could be. Is it aftermarket or OEM?
Carvagio seats and steering wheel (though made by DSV as well). Seats like that are $4500, but retain butt warmers and movement. Side panels and top panel, arm rest, shifter is from centinal edition 3lz model (stock, but not stock for this car)(you can buy these parts from chevy to convert).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I thought the C7 Stingray was supposed to match up pretty good with a C6 Gran Sport?

No denying that these cars insane performance cars for a reasonable price. You said engines were problematic. I'm not familiar with the platform, can you explain what the problems are?

The reason I'm staying with the E9x M3 is because the S65 doesn't have main issues with the engine. To me that's a huge deal. And no, I'm not really listening to all the rod bearing talks yet.

Nice car man! Love the color
i'm sure its on par with GS. The argument between GS and Z06 is very similar to 335 vs M3... it's just not the same.

Valve train... well... about 50/50 chance you drop a valve through your block. No mods it will get replaced under warranty, but roll in there with tinted windows and you are out 15k for new engine. Valve seaters get worn out too quickly or something. There are a few aftermarket companies that do better material for the seating, better valve and springs, and bore the heads a bit. Solves the problem 100%. 7-10 owners of Z's on the forums (certainly seems like that many) are getting it done preventively, and when they open up to replace those items they do have in fact worn out parts... so like a time bomb. There are a few ls7's with 100k+ and track time, no problems... so can't say all, but 50% is a safe to say number (based on forums). They have a whole sticky dedicated to this...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
85
Rep
5,412
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
i'm sure its on par with GS. The argument between GS and Z06 is very similar to 335 vs M3... it's just not the same.

Valve train... well... about 50/50 chance you drop a valve through your block. No mods it will get replaced under warranty, but roll in there with tinted windows and you are out 15k for new engine. Valve seaters get worn out too quickly or something. There are a few aftermarket companies that do better material for the seating, better valve and springs, and bore the heads a bit. Solves the problem 100%. 7-10 owners of Z's on the forums (certainly seems like that many) are getting it done preventively, and when they open up to replace those items they do have in fact worn out parts... so like a time bomb. There are a few ls7's with 100k+ and track time, no problems... so can't say all, but 50% is a safe to say number (based on forums). They have a whole sticky dedicated to this...
Thanks for the explanation. Shame really, because the car would be awesome to have otherwise. I just can't deal with these 50% chance of kaboom engines. One of the reasons I stayed away from the E46 was the whole VANOS tab issue. Sure there are ways to fix it now with kits coming out, but I'd rather not deal with it at all.

I need to get a ride in a Z06 one day. I'm positive it'll make my M3 feel like it's standing still.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
davesaddiction
is fast cars
davesaddiction's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,600
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
Plus, regular C7 won't touch a C6Z06 in performance
Umm...

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-corvett...-3-8-515993126

With those options (Z51 package and magnetic ride control) the Stingray does the quarter mile in 12 seconds at 119 mph, brakes from 60 mph to zero in 107 feet, does up to 1.03 G in cornering, and lapped the VIR Grand Course in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.

For comparison:

Corvette ZR1 (current record holder) 2:45.63
Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48:60
Ferrari 458 2:49.90
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera (LP570-4) 2:51.80
KTM X-Bow 2:52.30
Camaro ZL1 2:52.38
Nissan GT-R 2:53.20
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 2:53.50
Lexus LFA 2:55.10
Posche 911 GT3 RS 2:55.90



Can't argue with the performance, but I'm not a fan of the C7's design... Maybe in black to hide all the vents, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Umm...

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-corvett...-3-8-515993126

With those options (Z51 package and magnetic ride control) the Stingray does the quarter mile in 12 seconds at 119 mph, brakes from 60 mph to zero in 107 feet, does up to 1.03 G in cornering, and lapped the VIR Grand Course in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.

For comparison:

Corvette ZR1 (current record holder) 2:45.63
Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48:60
Ferrari 458 2:49.90
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera (LP570-4) 2:51.80
KTM X-Bow 2:52.30
Camaro ZL1 2:52.38
Nissan GT-R 2:53.20
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z07 2:53.50
Lexus LFA 2:55.10
Posche 911 GT3 RS 2:55.90



Can't argue with the performance, but I'm not a fan of the C7's design... Maybe in black to hide all the vents, etc.
That's awesome, and i'm glad vettes are getting up there, but:

A. Quarter is still slower (Z06 rated by magazines do 11.7)
B. That's a test car, they usually end up a bit faster than most (sometimes run a special tune, sometimes run semi slicks, sometimes driven by Alonso etc).
C. There is a difference between car being able to run a fast lap, or consistent fast laps... like in m3, i couldn't consistently run hot laps, cause the car couldn't take it(gets too hot no matter what), where's GT3RS would run all day long.

I think the dry sump in ls7 is a good track tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Curt2000
Colonel
Curt2000's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
2,566
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sin City

iTrader: (24)

In the states I'd rather have a SC M3, in Germany I'd rather have a Z06...because I would sell it for a premium and use that cash for a 991 GT3

__________________

Current Car: '13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP (ED Thread)
Former Cars:'10 E90 335i MSport / '07 Interlagos ///M5 / '09 135i / '10 E93 335i
Instagram: @C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
119
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
Carvagio seats and steering wheel (though made by DSV as well). Seats like that are $4500, but retain butt warmers and movement. Side panels and top panel, arm rest, shifter is from centinal edition 3lz model (stock, but not stock for this car)(you can buy these parts from chevy to convert).
what about the stitching on the dash and doors? OEM 3lz?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
///M3Owner's Avatar
17
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

that's a really nice Vet, i'd rather have that than my M3 haha
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Metallic White Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
930chas
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3 and cornfed gtr
Join Date: May 2009
Location: merryland

iTrader: (0)

That interior looks amazing! Actually the whole package looks great. I don't think there is a better sound then a cammed ls7 with full exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
In the states I'd rather have a SC M3, in Germany I'd rather have a Z06...because I would sell it for a premium and use that cash for a 991 GT3

Ha ha ha, i wish i could do that, id even settle for 997gt3 or measly 997t... i dont thin the z will fetch enough
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
what about the stitching on the dash and doors? OEM 3lz?
Here is a link to the build:
http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3267375-finished-up-the-interior.html
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

The biggest advantage of the Corvette vs the M3 is the weight. The Corvette weighs 400-500 lbs less than the M3! So even if the M3 has more power, the Corvette has the advantage in performance driving situations because of it's lower weight and lower center of gravity.

My friend had a C6 Z06 and in stock form it was a monster. The biggest complaint is the crap stock seats with no support but otherwise it is a great car. The M3 can't even come close to the performance of the vette. On track, I've watched the Vette pull away on straights and corners like the M3 is standing still. He changed out the stock suspension for coilovers on all 4 corners and added bigger and stickier tires.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST