BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

GT Haus

06-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
exmowner
Captain

Drives: ESS 625 M3\\\

Ohlins Road&track Review!!:))

OHLINS R&T REVIEW _______________WARNING LONG POST!
After deciding on a super charger kit It was clear to me that I needed to address a few key areas of the m3 to complete the package so to speak. After reading review of different vendorís offerings I decided to go with a kw sleeve over kit. While the drop was fantastic the ride was not what I was looking for. Without getting into that too much you can read my review of that set up here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841031.

Some close friends advised me that what I was looking for just did not exist. The criteria was clear, stock like comfort with high speed cornering stability and a set up that would help keep the wheels on the ground with the power Iím making.

My search led me to the Ohlins road and track kit. I had read rumors that a kit was in the works but with the e9X platform ending production, the chances of a kit being released in my eyes was slim. I was wrong and shortly after stumbling on Harlod from HP autowerks post about the R&T kit I knew I had to have it. Harold for those of you that donít know him is extremely patient. After making the wrong decision the first time I had about 100+ questions and he answer every one.

I placed my order on April 24th and it was received May 29th. From what I can gather theyíre hard to keep in stock due to high demand.

Now there was the question of installation. Running your own business as Iím sure many of you know makes taking vacations difficult and requires a lot of planning... My gf had wanted to take a trip to NYC since early march and Iíve been putting it off. Well as the expression two birds with one stone goes this was an ideal opportunity. I knew I would have to devote two full days to shopping to convince her and leave the suspension install for the last day of the trip. When looking for a shop in New Jersey I came across North East Motorsport in Mahwah NJ. I had booked an appointment the week prior with John the shopís owner. He assured me they complete suspension installs regularly and that they would also be able to corner balance the car.

My appointment was for 8am but thanks to traffic I arrived closer to 9am. John was understanding and immediately drove my car in and began the install. Driving into the parking lot I knew I had made a great decision as to my shop choice. The parking consisted of 5 race cars and a few street bmwís. I had mentioned to John that I wanted the car to be setup in accordance with Ohlins recommendations. The ride height offers a wide range of adjustment to suit most needs. The suspension itself is a work of art, so much that I felt guilty installing it.

Install took a little over 3 hours and then it was off to corner balancing. They use the latest hunter force equipment to align and corner weight the car. I requested front camber to be 1.7 and rear 1.9 to stay within bmw factory spec. Iím not planning more than one track event this year so this seems to be the best setup for primarily street use. Ohlins give you 20 setting for dampening. 15-20 clicks for street use, 8-15 for sporty driving and 0-7 for race. I decided to set them at 9 clicks hoping for a balanced between sport and comfort.

Now for the review: Wow! After a short test drive I knew this was the exact setup I was looking for and complimented the direction I took with the entire build. Bumps are soaked up without upsetting the chassis and the car feels composed. There is no suspension noise or rattles to speak of. The car drives like its on rails and gives you confidence getting into corners at speed. No increase to NVH! If anyone is planning a suspension upgrade you should defiantly place Ohlins at the top of your list.

The drop came out exactly as I wanted and I maintained a good amount of clearance. I have close to 1000kms on the car since install and Iíve enjoyed every one of them! Off the line tracking has also improved significantly, were I had trouble with traction in 3rd Iím now able to gain in second. The suspension does an amazing job of keeping the tires on the ground.

Needless to say Iím satisfied with my purchase and with the excellent service provided by Harold from HP and John from NE

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

l ESS VT2-625 For sale! l Brembo 380mm F/R SOLDl BBS Fi TitaniumFor sale! l Eisenmann race l Challenge Sport X pipe FOR SALE!l Challenge GT diffuser + FR Lip l Stack gauges FOR SALE!l BMW Performance wheel FOR SALEl Ohlins R&T FOR SALE l LUX V4 l Euro Bumper FOR SALEl
      06-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
FrankThomas
Formerly Known As ftconstruct

Drives: 13 E92 M3

I've had work done at NE Motorsports a few times and they are a great shop. Enjoy the new setup.
      06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
exmowner
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankThomas View Post
I've had work done at NE Motorsports a few times and they are a great shop. Enjoy the new setup.
Yes a really nice group of guys!

Thanks
l ESS VT2-625 For sale! l Brembo 380mm F/R SOLDl BBS Fi TitaniumFor sale! l Eisenmann race l Challenge Sport X pipe FOR SALE!l Challenge GT diffuser + FR Lip l Stack gauges FOR SALE!l BMW Performance wheel FOR SALEl Ohlins R&T FOR SALE l LUX V4 l Euro Bumper FOR SALEl
      06-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
skiborsy
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue E90 M3

Great review (though in the wrong forum ). Are you running camber plates?
      06-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
exmowner
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiborsy View Post
Great review (though in the wrong forum ). Are you running camber plates?
Oopps meant to place it in suspension/brakes....

I'm sure it will be moved!

No not running camber plates, stock bmw top plates.

From what i'm told they have quite a bit of adjustability.
      06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

nice review! been thinking about switching over from kw sleeve to Ohlins R&T coilovers also.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
      06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

I said in your last thread that you'd like them! They definitely live up to the "Road and Track" name. You can drive them every day, take it out to the track and they will perform great in both. Sucks up bumps like no other and gives you great confidence on uneven surfaces.

Alas, I drive a lot more than the OP so the KW V3 fits me better because it doesn't require as frequent servicing. Not as smooth but still very good.
      06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
exmowner
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
nice review! been thinking about switching over from kw sleeve to Ohlins R&T coilovers also.
Thanks! You really wont regret it.
      06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
exmowner
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I said in your last thread that you'd like them! They definitely live up to the "Road and Track" name. You can drive them every day, take it out to the track and they will perform great in both. Sucks up bumps like no other and gives you great confidence on uneven surfaces.

Alas, I drive a lot more than the OP so the KW V3 fits me better because it doesn't require as frequent servicing. Not as smooth but still very good.
You were right, they're awesome!

I was concerned with the servicing requirements as well but I think 30000kms is a preventative recommendation from Ohlins.
      06-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
You were right, they're awesome!

I was concerned with the servicing requirements as well but I think 30000kms is a preventative recommendation from Ohlins.

What's require for the servicing requirements for these? and how much?
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
      06-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

So these dont require camber plates?

Great review thank you very much!
      06-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Excellent review!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
What's require for the servicing requirements for these? and how much?
Servicing shocks usually means rebuilding them. They'll replace the seals, shock oil and other wear and tear items. I don't know the costs associated with that but you need to take the suspension out and send the shocks out for a rebuild.
      06-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
So these dont require camber plates?

Great review thank you very much!
Camber plates are optional on these.

R&T was designed around the stock upper mounts. At about 1" of lowering the default camber would be around -1.75, which is great for street and some light track duty.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States