BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #67
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (1)

Let us know how loud it is. I am interested to know on a stock diff. On my Dinan it is way too loud. After a few weeks of driving...it is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Let us know how loud it is. I am interested to know on a stock diff. On my Dinan it is way too loud. After a few weeks of driving...it is annoying.

I will let you know . This diff bolt constantly breaking was pissing me off to no end. I am glad this M3 is not my daily driver I would be screwed if it was . Give me about a week or so to get the part and have it installed.
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (1)

Are you doing subframe bushings too? It works great. You will like how much more planted the rear feels.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #70
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Are you doing subframe bushings too? It works great. You will like how much more planted the rear feels.

No I am not doing the subframe bushings yet. I just want to get this diff bolt breaking under control for now. I should be getting my bushing from Turner Motor Sport in the mail today I am waiting on UPS

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-29...um-e9x-m3.aspx

I am not going to have the Stealership install this part they want way to much money. $1050 for labor plus another $300+ just for the diff oil ahhh no thanks

Taking my M3 to a friends shop on Friday getting it installed way less than the Stealership price
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #71
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (1)

Looking forward to your review/impressions.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #72
Tim B.
Lieutenant
8
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
No I am not doing the subframe bushings yet. I just want to get this diff bolt breaking under control for now. I should be getting my bushing from Turner Motor Sport in the mail today I am waiting on UPS

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-29...um-e9x-m3.aspx

I am not going to have the Stealership install this part they want way to much money. $1050 for labor plus another $300+ just for the diff oil ahhh no thanks

Taking my M3 to a friends shop on Friday getting it installed way less than the Stealership price
They want $1050 for just 3 diff bushings?? I thought that was like a 4hr job(or less) max I plan on having my dealer install mine too(along with the subframe bushings) and I didn't even ask a price. HA
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #73
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking Ahhh Yeah.... Tim B. this is what my Stealership Quoted me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
They want $1050 for just 3 diff bushings?? I thought that was like a 4hr job(or less) max I plan on having my dealer install mine too(along with the subframe bushings) and I didn't even ask a price. HA
I had my service Rep show me on his computer and the Labor price I am telling was like 6hrs $1000+ and the price of the diff oil was $300+ for 3 liters. The 2 top bushings was like $94, I don't know if that was for each or not but I seen the $94 and the other rear diff bushing I don't remember the price. I was not worried about the price of the bushings because I had my own coming in from Turner Motor Sport. You can check with your Stealership but this is what mine quoted me
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #74
Tim B.
Lieutenant
8
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
I had my service Rep show me on his computer and the Labor price I am telling was like 6hrs $1000+ and the price of the diff oil was $300+ for 3 liters. The 2 top bushings was like $94, I don't know if that was for each or not but I seen the $94 and the other rear diff bushing I don't remember the price. I was not worried about the price of the bushings because I had my own coming in from Turner Motor Sport. You can check with your Stealership but this is what mine quoted me
wow. well, I ordered the ones from Turner also, subframe and differential. Planning on having them installed on Wednesday when I bring the car in for other service/oil change, etc. we'll see how much they hit me up for
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #75
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking Here are some pics I took of my New bushing install and a small review

Sorry OP don't mean to but I wanted to share some pics.

I had my friend Alberto install my Turner Motor Sport- Race Solid Delrin Aluminum differential mounts for my diff bolt problem. The whole process took about 7 hrs. I am pretty sure it could have been done a little less but I wanted to make sure my car was done right. My friend Alberto made a special tool to take out the old diff bushings. Since I have almost 100,000 miles on my M3 and the access covers were out of the way. We decided to change out my 6 speed Manual transmission fluid in the process . My review of the mounts: Since I have the Solid diff mounts everything feels solid no more broken diff bolts . The only down side to the Solid diff mounts it is the loud and annoying diff whine . I have Gintani Race exhaust catless and it is loud inside the car at times. I can hear the diff noise over it don't bother turning up the music its not going to tone out the sound . But this was my only real fix to my diff bolt problem and I am Supercharged. I am glad I don't daily drive my M3 . This will take a while for me getting over the annoying diff whine sound. My advice to anyone getting solid diff mounts you better really think hard before you install and be ready to deal with the diff whine sound. I would like to thank my friend Alberto for doing a good job on my M3 saved me a lot of money Oh and my Sub-Frame bushing are still good no need to change them out yet. Here are some pics
Attached Images
                       
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser

Last edited by SHADY1; 06-18-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #76
littlebully
Private First Class
3
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: Red 625 ///M3 '13
Join Date: May 2012
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

what is the cabin noise like on the highway?

Also do you feel any vibration in ur seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #77
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebully View Post
what is the cabin noise like on the highway?

Also do you feel any vibration in ur seat?
The cabin noise driving the car period the moment you pull out of your drive way going down the street, not just on the highway when driving. The noise stays the same it don't get louder on the highway. I do not feel any vibration in my seat. The car feels more solid don't get me wrong, it wants to try and spin tires taking off at stop lights with the DSC still on . I never notice this before until now . I was warned about the sound it would make in the drive line when you install solid race mounts. I done this install at my own risk because I was tired of my car breaking diff bolts. I broke 5 bolts 3 of the 5 times was before the car was Supercharged and I don't track my car just normal driving. The Stealership never checked or told me my diff bushing were worn and cracked they just replace the diff bolt. When the diff bolt broke the 4th time it was in Las Vegas at MFest 7 and my friend Alberto notice and told me the bushing on the driver side was damaged cracked and causing the diff bolt to break.
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser

Last edited by SHADY1; 06-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #78
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (1)

You need to do the subframe bushings too! The rear feels so much more planted after that. It is worth it...

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy enough to hear this whine. Do you have the stock diff in the car or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #79
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
You need to do the subframe bushings too! The rear feels so much more planted after that. It is worth it...

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy enough to hear this whine. Do you have the stock diff in the car or aftermarket?
Stock diff is still in the car. I will up grade down the road. You were correct about the whine sound . No Hurry to do the subframe bushings at the moment nothing is wrong with them. I still have other things I still need to have done.

Rod bearings, I am going to upgrade my clutch to a Spec Super twin disk clutch, upgrade my Supercharger to VF620, and then the diff. Once all this is done then the subframe bushing
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #80
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
134
Rep
2,437
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (18)

That's ballsy right there, my man. I don't think there will ever come a time when I'd want to go w/some alum. mounts. Seeing all these issues, I think I would make my own 80A polyurethane mounts before I'd bite on all the extra NVH.
__________________


Not stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #81
sterile stork
coupe la goon
sterile stork's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2010 E61 535i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PDX

iTrader: (16)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Awesome
Thank you for sharing the process as well as your tooling! Might you be able to provide some more specifics as to pipe diameter and bolt information for your extractor? How did you go about removing/installing the front bushing?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #82
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Malek@MRF's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
3,540
Posts


Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
The cabin noise driving the car period the moment you pull out of your drive way going down the street, not just on the highway when driving. The noise stays the same it don't get louder on the highway. I do not feel any vibration in my seat. The car feels more solid don't get me wrong, it wants to try and spin tires taking off at stop lights with the DSC still on . I never notice this before until now . I was warned about the sound it would make in the drive line when you install solid race mounts. I done this install at my own risk because I was tired of my car breaking diff bolts. I broke 5 bolts 3 of the 5 times was before the car was Supercharged and I don't track my car just normal driving. The Stealership never checked or told me my diff bushing were worn and cracked they just replace the diff bolt. When the diff bolt broke the 4th time it was in Las Vegas at MFest 7 and my friend Alberto notice and told me the bushing on the driver side was damaged cracked and causing the diff bolt to break.

Your car might be one of the cars that needs the special differential fluid from BMW. Some differentials are very noisy, and there is a different fluid that has a friction modifier to reduce the noise. If you used that Redline oil for your differential, that is probably another cause of noise, and now with the more solid bushings you are hearing it more.

Switch your differential fluid to the friction modified fluid and give that a go. The car should not be as noisy as you are describing it.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #83
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
Your car might be one of the cars that needs the special differential fluid from BMW. Some differentials are very noisy, and there is a different fluid that has a friction modifier to reduce the noise. If you used that Redline oil for your differential, that is probably another cause of noise, and now with the more solid bushings you are hearing it more.

Switch your differential fluid to the friction modified fluid and give that a go. The car should not be as noisy as you are describing it.
Ok sounds good thanks but that Special BMW diff fluid is not cheap I will let my friend Alberto know he can get the fluid for less
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #84
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

That Redline fluid should be fine as it already contains a friction modifier in it. You can switch it out if you wish but you may just be wasting $$$
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #85
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
That Redline fluid should be fine as it already contains a friction modifier in it. You can switch it out if you wish but you may just be wasting $$$
Not trying to waste money
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #86
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebully View Post
what is the cabin noise like on the highway?

Also do you feel any vibration in ur seat?
No vibration for me or not much...mostly just noise like Shady1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #87
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
SHADY1's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,789
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Thank you for sharing the process as well as your tooling! Might you be able to provide some more specifics as to pipe diameter and bolt information for your extractor? How did you go about removing/installing the front bushing?
I will have my friend Alberto comment on your question about the tool he made.
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #88
littlebully
Private First Class
3
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: Red 625 ///M3 '13
Join Date: May 2012
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Just had my in for first service. The master tech came out to talk to me since I already modded the car. He said that there is actually a message from bmw on the diff oil. That a lot of cars with this noise are do to dealers using cheap brake in diff oil for diff oil changes instead of using the oil that cost 250. bucks

could you imagine he says some dealers he seen don't even have the right oil in stock. Cool guy in his early 50s has a m3 e92 and a 2010 m5. nice to meet a dealer tech who cares
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST