BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Ride height difference - driver and passener sides

I was checking the ride height of my '07 ///3, and found the right side, in my case the driver's side - 79 cm compared to the passenger side - 77 cm. This is of course from the ground to the edge of the wheel arch. I am on standard OEM suspensions and planning to swap to H&R soon. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is?

The only thing I can think of is that it's compensating the driver's weight and brings it to level.
      06-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX

Don't measure ride height from the ground because the ride height at each corner is influenced by tire pressure and remaining tread depth. Also, make sure you are taking measurements on a flat surface. Most people measure either from the bottom lip of the wheel or the center of the wheel (center of center caps) to the fender.

All manufactures have side-to-side and front-to-rear ride height (or frame) tolerances - not sure what the M3 "acceptable" ranges are but most cars are on the order of 1/4-1/2".
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Don't measure ride height from the ground because the ride height at each corner is influenced by tire pressure and remaining tread depth. Also, make sure you are taking measurements on a flat surface. Most people measure either from the bottom lip of the wheel or the center of the wheel (center of center caps) to the fender.

All manufactures have side-to-side and front-to-rear ride height (or frame) tolerances - not sure what the M3 "acceptable" ranges are but most cars are on the order of 1/4-1/2".
Thanks ... will try again with the suggested points.
      06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Denk
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I don't have an explanation but all 3 of my e92's were lower on the rear passenger side. Even after changing springs (Dinan, Eibach) they were still lower there.
Appreciate 0