BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
f32458
Second Lieutenant
 
f32458's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

Will 15W 50 be okay?

Mobil 1 15W 50 I bought 18 bottles.
__________________
2011 E90 DCT, sold
2011 E92 DCT ZCP | Akrapovic full setup | Evolve stage II | OEM grille | splitter | spoiler
f32458 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

What brand is it ? I know castrol makes the 10 60 BMW m specific.
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

The viscosity may be ok - - close enough to 10w60 - - but what about other performance aspects of the oil. Is it rated BMW LL01? Not sure that is even relevant since the TWS is made exclusively for the naturally aspirated M3/M5 and it does not carry the BMW LL01 license. It's really tough for any of us to predict how the Mobil would perform in your M3. If it were me, I wouldn't gamble on using it.
__________________


'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
m6pwr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,573
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I pulled this from Turner's site:

We have been using RedLine 15w50 Oil in our street cars and race cars for years. Hands-down, it is the Number One brand of high performance lubricant for BMWs. The ultimate high-temperature protection in Red Line engine oils recommended for street use. Good for engines that regularly run very high oil temperatures. Best for engines that run large clearances such as air-cooled engines or large-displacement, all-out racing engines that see occasional street use. Provides 25% more viscosity in bearings than petroleum 20W-50s. Not recommended for use in cold climates where temperatures are at or below 10F or -12C. Not recommended for street use in production engines that see sustained oil temperatures below 225F (those engines should use Red Line 10W-30 or 10W-40). Turner Motorsport recommends this oil in the E30 M3 during the summer and for track-use.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes

Last edited by thekurgan; 05-28-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbass
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
 
=[monkey]='s Avatar
 
Drives: sc m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston

Posts: 356
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32458 View Post
Mobil 1 15W 50 I bought 18 bottles.
He stated mobil 1
=[monkey]= is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I would definitely NOT use it.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I would definitely NOT use it.
it's not that bad; actually a good oil Closest to a 10w 60 and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if out of warranty or in a jam.



FYI here's an analysis on a M5 engine


http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2862511&page=1
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
it's not that bad. Closest to a 10w 60



FYI


http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2862511&page=1
Doesn't matter how close it is. The BMW manual clearly states that no other oil should be used unless it is an emergency situation.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Doesn't matter how close it is. The BMW manual clearly states that no other oil should be used unless it is an emergency situation.
this debate has been ongoing forever so I won't add to it, but if you believe everything in that manual I would also be perplexed. that being said, I use 10 60, but don't see problems with alternatives as their is proof out there of people using other weights in M cars w/ no issues. In fact if I lived in a cold climate I too would consider a switch.
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Doesn't matter how close it is. The BMW manual clearly states that no other oil should be used unless it is an emergency situation.
BMW has a working relationship with Castrol. Translate that to business relationship. Interpret that any way you like. That Mobil 1 is good oil and I would venture to say probably better than the TWS BMW recommends for our cars. I'll stick with Redline; Thank you very much. 5W-30 mixed with 40W race.

All that being said, if you take decent care of your car you could probably run dino oil in it and make it last 150k miles. You'd just have to change it out more often.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
f32458
Second Lieutenant
 
f32458's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

I am going to refund the them. Too risky. How many quart required on the S65?
__________________
2011 E90 DCT, sold
2011 E92 DCT ZCP | Akrapovic full setup | Evolve stage II | OEM grille | splitter | spoiler
f32458 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32458 View Post
I am going to refund the them. Too risky. How many quart required on the S65?
Sound decision. I think most pour in 8.25 to 8.5 bottles (liters) of TWS in order not to overfill. BMW's capacity spec is 8.8 liters for oil and filter.

I agree with many of the things that Radiation Joe has said. BMW does have a working/business relationship with Castrol. So does VW and Audi. In fact, most of the major car/truck mfrs in Europe and the US have a working relationship with a lubricant partner. Daimler and Porsche use/recommend Mobil 1. Many of the French oems use/recommend Total/Elf. Ferrari (since the beginning of Ferrari) use/recommend Shell (Pennzoil in the US).

I don't think this "business relationship" diminishes the quality of the lubricants in any way. In fact I think it's quite the opposite. There's a slide presentation floating around on the internet by Lubrizol Corp. ( a major supplier to oil companies of the various additive packs used in motor oil). It's called "The Price of Performance" and describes the diligence (viz. time and money - - lots of money) oems and their lubricant partners spend developing the approval specs (e.g. BMW LL01) and recommended oils for their products. There's also a video of a presentation given by a chemist with Afton Chemicals (big add pack supplier like Lubrizol). The chemist describes the same working relationship between oems and their lubricant partners as producing what he calls "designer oils" (e.g. TWS). Lubricant chemists/chemical engineers, tribologists, and the oem engine development engineers working as a team to develop an oil tailor made for their engine or familiy of engines. What's wrong with that?
__________________


'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
m6pwr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
this debate has been ongoing forever so I won't add to it, but if you believe everything in that manual I would also be perplexed. that being said, I use 10 60, but don't see problems with alternatives as their is proof out there of people using other weights in M cars w/ no issues. In fact if I lived in a cold climate I too would consider a switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
BMW has a working relationship with Castrol. Translate that to business relationship. Interpret that any way you like. That Mobil 1 is good oil and I would venture to say probably better than the TWS BMW recommends for our cars. I'll stick with Redline; Thank you very much. 5W-30 mixed with 40W race.

All that being said, if you take decent care of your car you could probably run dino oil in it and make it last 150k miles. You'd just have to change it out more often.
Yes, there is profit in it. At the end of the day though it's not worth the trouble or issues to use something different. With the service change intervals, there is really no reason at all to use something else.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yes, there is profit in it. At the end of the day though it's not worth the trouble or issues to use something different. With the service change intervals, there is really no reason at all to use something else.
There are reasons and that is why some of us run different oils. The viscosity of the TWS is ridiculous. It's so thick that it shears down to 50 weight during normal use. Take it to track and it probably ends up even lower. I can run 40W Redline at the track for 40 hours and still have 40W when I'm done. On the street, I run what BMW originally designed these engines to run; 5W-30.

BMW builds tight tolerance engines. 30W oil is appropriate for engines built this way. The TWS is an insurance policy by BMW for people who take their cars to the track with 12k miles on an oil fill. When I built a hi-po M10 many years back, I built it with very loose (by BMW standards) clearances. I ran 50W oil in that one. The S65 is built for 30 or 40 weight oil.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yes, there is profit in it. At the end of the day though it's not worth the trouble or issues to use something different. With the service change intervals, there is really no reason at all to use something else.
Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
There are reasons and that is why some of us run different oils. The viscosity of the TWS is ridiculous. It's so thick that it shears down to 50 weight during normal use. Take it to track and it probably ends up even lower. I can run 40W Redline at the track for 40 hours and still have 40W when I'm done. On the street, I run what BMW originally designed these engines to run; 5W-30.

BMW builds tight tolerance engines. 30W oil is appropriate for engines built this way. The TWS is an insurance policy by BMW for people who take their cars to the track with 12k miles on an oil fill. When I built a hi-po M10 many years back, I built it with very loose (by BMW standards) clearances. I ran 50W oil in that one. The S65 is built for 30 or 40 weight oil.
While you may find a reason not to run the oil specified, I really don't see the need to go out of the way to do so. You are pretty much talking from a track oriented use only. The average user doesn't need to use something different just for the sake of it. Redline isn't any easier to acquire than the Castrol so there is no benefit there from a strictly ease of purchase standpoint. Can you use another oil and not kill the car? Sure you can. Should you? I can't think of a reason why. Like I said, with the oil change intervals being so long, the costs of using something else just don't make much sense in my mind.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
While you may find a reason not to run the oil specified, I really don't see the need to go out of the way to do so. You are pretty much talking from a track oriented use only. The average user doesn't need to use something different just for the sake of it. Redline isn't any easier to acquire than the Castrol so there is no benefit there from a strictly ease of purchase standpoint. Can you use another oil and not kill the car? Sure you can. Should you? I can't think of a reason why. Like I said, with the oil change intervals being so long, the costs of using something else just don't make much sense in my mind.
I agree with your point that most people aren't going to see any difference, so why change. I'm an engineer by trade and it drives me crazy to see things done because "it doesn't make any difference". Running the recommended TWS isn't going to hurt anyone's engine. However, the thinner 5W-30 oils do offer better start-up protection and slightly lower friction, yielding better efficiency. There are also better oils than TWS for high temperature use.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
I started a thread under gasoline engine used oil analyses at Bobistheoilguy.com. One of the best responses was this:

Well, Ford fitted the BOSS 302 with an oil cooler (the M3 has an oil cooler too) and still bumped the oil grade up to 5w-50. My guess is that, when tracked HARD, they are seeing oil temperatures that are elevated high enough to warrant the use of the much heavier oil.

With BMW, I think its a combination of the above, mixed with the fact that TWS has been their Unicorn Urine of choice for what has got to be close to 20 years now. It's a product that BMW Motorsport is familiar with in respect to its performance and operating characteristics and has been used extensively by them in their race program cars. They know how it works. So even if this engine perhaps doesn't require something QUITE so heavy, they are still safe recommending it, and it is widely available at all BMW dealerships, so service under warranty is easy as well.

Deviating from that recommendation, given that known performance at that point is NOT guaranteed, is a gamble. If the car is under warranty, it certainly isn't something I'd be willing to do, no matter how many people on the Internet told me to run something else.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
While you may find a reason not to run the oil specified, I really don't see the need to go out of the way to do so. You are pretty much talking from a track oriented use only. The average user doesn't need to use something different just for the sake of it. Redline isn't any easier to acquire than the Castrol so there is no benefit there from a strictly ease of purchase standpoint. Can you use another oil and not kill the car? Sure you can. Should you? I can't think of a reason why. Like I said, with the oil change intervals being so long, the costs of using something else just don't make much sense in my mind.
FYI longer drain intervals were only introduced under the free maintenance program. Makes sense= free service means less service
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,985
iTrader: (3)

Considering there are 10w60 alternative oils such as Redline and Lubro Moly, you don't have to stick to TWS to get the 10w60 requirement.

I would not run a different weight however unless the car is used for track or something other than the general usage that BMW has designed TWS for.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Considering there are 10w60 alternative oils such as Redline and Lubro Moly, you don't have to stick to TWS to get the 10w60 requirement.

I would not run a different weight however unless the car is used for track or something other than the general usage that BMW has designed TWS for.
The whole point of the TWS is if you track. It was designed for severe duty. If you don't track the car or drive at 150mph for 10 minutes at a time, you should be running the standard 5W-30 that BMW recommends for the rest of their cars. The TWS offers no additional protection and most probably less than the standard oil under normal driving conditions.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST