BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #45
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 661
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
sounds like a lot of debate over this. I do agree to some extent 8 years old exotic car does seem old. But 3 years or less, it is still quite expense. 4-5 gets a bit cheaper but still out of range for most people.

I guess renting one would make more sense but that's about $12-15/mile depending on amount of mileage you buy and the initial rental cost.

Last time I calculated, my bimmer costs me $0.68 cent a mile to own (insurance, gas, car payment, registration) 20k mile driven.

Life is too short. I've got to atleast drive one no matter what. Rent or buy. Would be even great if they had lease offers. lol
They do have lease offers but they don't make much sense I don't think. Usually 8,000 miles a year around 5-10k down and 2k a month.
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #46
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,103
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Further, do you really think a Gallardo is hand made?
Having seen them being built at the factory, they are indeed hand assembled. Each piece of leather is sewn by a nice Italian lady and hand stretched onto each seat and panel. It takes three guys to wrestle the leather seat cover onto the seat. Each piece is not hammered out by an artisan, but I'm not sure where you draw the line on something being classified as hand made.

















__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 05-09-2013 at 06:29 AM.
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #47
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 5,695
iTrader: (6)

i don't care what you guys think. These cars are pretty bullet proof out for super cars.
i have seen them with up to 80k miles on some. Yes, there is cost to maintain it, you have to pay to play.
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,103
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
It is possible to have supercar performance while still being reliable and cheap to maintain. The Corvette Z06 and Acura NSX both did it.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #49
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
 
HebbNH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MO

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post



A E46 M3 or Supra ??? comparing to a hand made exotic costing A LOT more is going to be MUCH different 8 years old. and more harder and more expensive to fix.

Its like people are to stupid to function these days. comparing a fucking M3 to a lambo! WTF
More expensive to own and maintain? Sure, obviously, that was never in question. Too old to be driven simply because it's a 2005 and the electronics are outdated? No way, no how, and that's all I was trying to say. It's like people are too stupid to function these days -- unable to comprehend a person's point before they spout off with their profanity-laced, grammar-challenged nonsense.
__________________
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
HebbNH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #50
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,266
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Having seen them being built at the factory, they are indeed hand assembled. Each piece of leather is sewn by a nice Italian lady and hand stretched onto each seat and panel. It takes three guys to wrestle the leather seat cover onto the seat. Each piece is not hammered out by an artisan, but I'm not sure where you draw the line on something being classified as hand made.
Well look at all those people! I'm surprised. I just assumed they were more automated. You'd think that with all that labor, you'd pay a few guys to wet sand the cars, Gallardos have BMW levels of orange peel, nothing like Rollers or Bentleys. Not that anyone driving a Lamborghini really gives a thought to the paint quality (or the nav interface).
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #51
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
 
///ADMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sin City

Posts: 449
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [5.00]
Like 'em or not, Lambos are awesome and an absolute blast to drive!!!

///ADMAN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #52
Majin Buu
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Many people here claiming that the Lambo has a lot of reliability problems. Care to state which ones? I don't expect Honda levels of reliability, but I've always been curious if it is indeed possible to own one and DIY.



+1 I'd buy the Lambo (heck even my M3 with 08 Navi) for it's looks and performance. Technology comes pretty far down my list but that's just me.
You're missing the big picture though. There are huge costs associated not just with depreciation and maintenance, but also fuel, insurance, etc.

And even if you are DIY type and will save labour costs by doing your maintenance, that still leave the issue of parts and their cost. We all talk about the BMW tax and the ///M tax and what not. Imagine what the Lambo tax would be like!

Look at it this way. the BMW stealerships in canada want to charge me $1600 for a simple throttle actuator on a 2008 M3 (aka glorified 3 series). Imagine of the throttle actuator on that Lambo failed. How much would the stealership charge you just for the part alone? $3k? $4k? What if, heavens forbid, you blew the engine? That Lambo engine by itself might probably cost you as much as a new M3!!!
Majin Buu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #53
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,020
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
You're missing the big picture though. There are huge costs associated not just with depreciation and maintenance, but also fuel, insurance, etc.

And even if you are DIY type and will save labour costs by doing your maintenance, that still leave the issue of parts and their cost. We all talk about the BMW tax and the ///M tax and what not. Imagine what the Lambo tax would be like!

Look at it this way. the BMW stealerships in canada want to charge me $1600 for a simple throttle actuator on a 2008 M3 (aka glorified 3 series). Imagine of the throttle actuator on that Lambo failed. How much would the stealership charge you just for the part alone? $3k? $4k? What if, heavens forbid, you blew the engine? That Lambo engine by itself might probably cost you as much as a new M3!!!
Oh I completely understand. Never said I was interested nor can I afford to own a Lamborghini. But everyone here is saying they are unreliable, but I'd like to hear specifically what usually goes wrong with those V10/12. What's their Achilles heel?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #54
Majin Buu
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Oh I completely understand. Never said I was interested nor can I afford to own a Lamborghini. But everyone here is saying they are unreliable, but I'd like to hear specifically what usually goes wrong with those V10/12. What's their Achilles heel?
Now that you ask for it.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/la...r-service.html
Majin Buu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #55
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
 
///ADMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sin City

Posts: 449
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [5.00]
nukezero: I wonder if the engine and chassis are for sale?
///ADMAN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #56
flyinb501
Lieutenant
 
Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ADMAN View Post
Like 'em or not, Lambos are awesome and an absolute blast to drive!!!

Exotics Racing? I was there a few weeks ago. What a blast!
flyinb501 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
secretsquirrel
Colonel
 
secretsquirrel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

Posts: 2,081
iTrader: (2)

I'm not saying that he shouldn't get one. But, the fact that he's talking about trying to save money IMO means that he may not be budgeting accurately for the possible repair bills of this 9 year old 225k exotic car that he wants to daily drive.
secretsquirrel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #58
LSPowered
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA

Posts: 198
iTrader: (6)

Pass
LSPowered is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #59
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,829
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
More expensive to own and maintain? Sure, obviously, that was never in question. Too old to be driven simply because it's a 2005 and the electronics are outdated? No way, no how, and that's all I was trying to say. It's like people are too stupid to function these days -- unable to comprehend a person's point before they spout off with their profanity-laced, grammar-challenged nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Dude, it's the internets, and this is a car forum, but your grammar is just killing your argument, if you even have one.

Further, do you really think a Gallardo is hand made?
My point is you cannot compare a M3 to lambo. I also was little drunk when i posted that.

but if you cant see my point, then forget it.
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #60
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

Before I hopped into my M5 from my FBO 335i, everyone was telling me how expensive and unreliable the M5 is, low mpg V10 etc. After a couple months of ownership, its actually more solid and more reliable then my 335i and its actually not made of glass. And maintenance is a lil more expensive and basically same type of maintenance like any car.

IF you was really considering this, talk to some owners, hit up some forums and do some research.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is online now   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #61
F1Venom
Captain
 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 814
iTrader: (0)

Gallardos are pretty reliable from what I've heard. Also, do you really need a car to pick up chicks? I guess if your game is bad enough then yes because chicks clamor around Lambos and Astons while guys mostly don't even give the car a second look. It's really strange buy at my gym there was a V12 Vantage parked and I saw nearly every women who walked by it looking over the car and snapping photos while some men ignored it completely. Same story with an LP550-2 Gallardo Spyder I saw at a shopping plaza. The women snapped pics and gawked at it while the men just walked by and only looked at when they passed it. Very few snapped photos.
F1Venom is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #62
F1Venom
Captain
 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 814
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
sounds like a lot of debate over this. I do agree to some extent 8 years old exotic car does seem old. But 3 years or less, it is still quite expense. 4-5 gets a bit cheaper but still out of range for most people.

I guess renting one would make more sense but that's about $12-15/mile depending on amount of mileage you buy and the initial rental cost.

Last time I calculated, my bimmer costs me $0.68 cent a mile to own (insurance, gas, car payment, registration) 20k mile driven.

Life is too short. I've got to atleast drive one no matter what. Rent or buy. Would be even great if they had lease offers. lol
They do have lease offers but they don't make much sense I don't think. Usually 8,000 miles a year around 5-10k down and 2k a month.
Dude, those are prices for Mercedes AMG's. I looked into Lambo leases and they're $3200/month for 3600 miles/year. So $10/mile are the lease rates with something like $40k down.
F1Venom is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #63
Dkhan23
Banned
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada/USA

Posts: 360
iTrader: (0)

You want a lambo to get some pussy? Lmao
Dkhan23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #64
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

"Ever since I was 8 years old, I've TRULY loved Lamborghini's"

If this is a life long goal and you can afford it, get it! Just realize that maintaining a car like this will likely cost you an arm and a leg like others have mentioned. But whatever, if it makes you happy while it's running, freaking awesome, do it man.

Some people buy boats, some people travel, some people drop $20k a year drinking and gambling... whatever makes you happy. Life is short. Do it.
inChargeOfIT is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #65
Giggs
Major
 
Giggs's Avatar
 
Drives: R8
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon View Post
I own a Lamborghini......Ive had it since 2010, its been a great car, I have an oil change done every 3000 miles (maybe overkill) I have my tech look it over every spring. Id say the 2000.00 per year in general maintance is pretty accurate.

Iam probably due for a clutch next summer, so 5-6k

Good Luck!
Only $5-6k for a clutch in a lambo? I think its more like $12-15k. I just changed out the clutch in my R8 and parts/labor was over $10k.

For the OP, if you even consider buying this thing make sure you do a hell of a lot of research on cost of ownership. $90k purchase price is the cheapest part of owning that car
Giggs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #66
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,103
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
Only $5-6k for a clutch in a lambo? I think its more like $12-15k. I just changed out the clutch in my R8 and parts/labor was over $10k.

For the OP, if you even consider buying this thing make sure you do a hell of a lot of research on cost of ownership. $90k purchase price is the cheapest part of owning that car
It depends where you have it done but in my research on the Lambo forums, $8k seemed to be the avg for a clutch replacement on the Gallardo.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST