BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Bought some track upgrades, thoughts?

Ok guys well im a member of Harris Hill Mazda Raceway and i normally track my track prepped FR-S about 2 times a month but recently started to itch tracking the M3 more. I tracked my E92 stock and immediately noticed the stock brakes & tires were not optimal for the track. I purchased a few upgrades since i will be tracking her probably once every 4 months but she will still be my DD and the FR-S will still be my track beast. I know most of you go BBK but its hard to justify spending that much money on two track cars, im still building the FR-S and FI is on my sights. I know the M3 is a heavy car and the stock brake setup was horrible but how will the new setup work out, do you guys still think the stock brakes are crap even with the upgrades i bought. Also how much life are you guys seeing from the stock rotors and whats a good replacement?

Purchased:

-APEX ARC-8 18X10
-Nitto NT01'S 275/35/18
-Spiegler Front and Rear SS Lines
-AP 600 Brake Fluid
-Ferrodo DS2500 pads (How are these for the track & street)

What are your opinion on these parts? Anything i might be missing for an occasional track day.

BTW the M3 stock pulled a lap time of 1:29.9 in comparison my fully track prepped bolton FR-S pulls a 1:27.1 on slicks.


Bonus pic of the FR-S:


__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...

Last edited by track_warrior; 05-09-2013 at 01:53 AM.
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
warp10
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 642
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Looks good, the Ferrodo DS2500 pads are good as a light duty track and street pad. I was running PSS and they were good but then I used a set of slicks and the pads were ate up pretty quick. So going with an R-Comp you should get some good life out of them.
warp10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Looks good, the Ferrodo DS2500 pads are good as a light duty track and street pad. I was running PSS and they were good but then I used a set of slicks and the pads were ate up pretty quick. So going with an R-Comp you should get some good life out of them.
Thanks for the advice on the DS2500's, i just hope they wont be noisy on the street. BTW do you think the stock rotors are up to the task for track duty?
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
warp10
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 642
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
I believe so i have been running on them. The rotors are pretty robust but the pads are where the problem are. Just keep in mind the brake temps and make sure to let them cool off.
warp10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (6)

Good selection of mods (although I'd suggest PFC 06 or 08 instead of the Ferodo). I dig the FR-S too.

Last edited by Porschefile; 05-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
marksae
Private First Class
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 164
iTrader: (1)

Those pads will probably not hold up w/ your NT01's. NT01's are an R-compound, so you'll probably need to run a much more aggressive pad to support all that extra grip.
__________________
09 E90 AW ///M3 6MT
07 LBP S2K
marksae is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
I believe so i have been running on them. The rotors are pretty robust but the pads are where the problem are. Just keep in mind the brake temps and make sure to let them cool off.
Will do man, thanks for the heads up. I can probably start off by tracking no more than 15 min sessions and see how they hold up, she is really heavy so this will be my main concern.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Good selection of mods (although I'd suggest PFC 06 or 08 instead of the Ferodo). I dig the FR-S too.
Thanks man, the FR-S is a real fun track car. Ill keep in mind the PFC when my ferrodos pass to a better life. Btw is there a big reason on going performance friction vs ferrodo for pads? Keep in mind i live in Texas and the heat can get intense but i will also be daily driving the car so i dont really want a loud pad. Im mostly looking for the best dual purpose pads. I really dont want to have to place the same dash sticker that i have on my FR-S lol (See Below, and watch the passenger dash of the FR-S)



Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
Those pads will probably not hold up w/ your NT01's. NT01's are an R-compound, so you'll probably need to run a much more aggressive pad to support all that extra grip.
Thanks for the heads up man, will try a set of RS3'S or Rivals next time. I got the NT01's with the wheels i bought so once they are done i might switch to an aggressive summer tire to keep me from going full out race pads.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Estoril Blue
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

I think the NT01s are inconsistent with the Ferrodo pads you chose. I suspect that you will come up short on pad effectiveness. Drive accordingly.
__________________
Estoril Blue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
LightWerkz
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oakland, NJ

Posts: 534
iTrader: (1)

I would change those ferrodos for something else like the PFC 08's. Those dual duty pads are nothing but trouble.
LightWerkz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (6)

I just like PFC stuff, they've always served me well. But Hawk DTC 60/70, Pagid yellow, or PFC 06/08 would all be fine.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
warp10
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 642
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
i guess a good fyi is that am now running pfc 08s with nt01...
warp10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the advice guys, btw anybody using titanium brake shims on stock brakes?
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 721
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Ok guys well im a member of Harris Hill Mazda Raceway and i normally track my track prepped FR-S about 2 times a month but recently started to itch tracking the M3 more. I tracked my E92 stock and immediately noticed the stock brakes & tires were not optimal for the track. I purchased a few upgrades since i will be tracking her probably once every 4 months but she will still be my DD and the FR-S will still be my track beast. I know most of you go BBK but its hard to justify spending that much money on two track cars, im still building the FR-S and FI is on my sights. I know the M3 is a heavy car and the stock brake setup was horrible but how will the new setup work out, do you guys still think the stock brakes are crap even with the upgrades i bought. Also how much life are you guys seeing from the stock rotors and whats a good replacement?

Purchased:

-APEX ARC-8 18X10
-Nitto NT01'S 275/35/18
-Spiegler Front and Rear SS Lines
-AP 600 Brake Fluid
-Ferrodo DS2500 pads (How are these for the track & street)

What are your opinion on these parts? Anything i might be missing for an occasional track day.

BTW the M3 stock pulled a lap time of 1:29.9 in comparison my fully track prepped bolton FR-S pulls a 1:27.1 on slicks.


Bonus pic of the FR-S:



Just curious--if you have already purchased these parts, why do you want other people's opinions on them?
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,216
iTrader: (5)

Track tires should have track pads.
If you go to an NT05, then consider the StopTech StreetSport pad. It's a great dual purpose pad. What you really need to do is get some venting to the rotors.

There's an old thread here "Biblical brake failure" or something like that. It's interesting to see what a professional driver does to a fully optimized stock brake system.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Just curious--if you have already purchased these parts, why do you want other people's opinions on them?
I can still return them, they were a suggestion from essex parts who sponsored my FR-S. Just wanted to see the opinion from people who are actually tracking their m3's, plus trying to see if i am missing something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Track tires should have track pads.
If you go to an NT05, then consider the StopTech StreetSport pad. It's a great dual purpose pad. What you really need to do is get some venting to the rotors.

There's an old thread here "Biblical brake failure" or something like that. It's interesting to see what a professional driver does to a fully optimized stock brake system.

.
Thanks for the advice man, ill look up the thread.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...

Last edited by track_warrior; 05-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST