BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
bimmerjph's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,978
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
The top boss could cancel the project at the last minute. The reason: The M8 doesn't strictly comply with BMW's 21st-century technology strategy, which focuses on alternative powertrains and smart connectivity.
Alternative powertrains and smart connectivity. Just what you want in an M!
Duh, that is what M stands for is it not?

: rolleyes
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #46
wilstave
Legend
wilstave's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M Performance 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

This "Halo" car, as economically and environmentally unviable as it may be, is a necessary step for BMW...given the road of segment diversification its going down with its models. If it wants to hold on to the performance machine image it's built over the last few decades, they should build it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #47
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
It's necessary to make noise, because the twin turbo engine is so damn quiet. Doesn't make a whole ton of sense for a supercar, does it? Induction noise is a key ingredient, nevermind throttle response.
Spartan mufflers will satisfy the noise requirements. Even with the turbo, the engine isn't so quite as to meet noise levels for even the loudest OEM exhausts.

Last edited by Jonjt; 05-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #48
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
" Powertrain: An upgraded version of the M5's direct-injected 4.4-liter TwinPower Turbo, coupled to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic. BMW engineers are talking 600 to 650 horsepower."

Never, supercar must be a flatplane crank and naturally aspirated version on that engine cant be excluded, but still I think Bmw go for high revving turbocharged engine, like Mclaren Mp4

I prefer S65 Block, but Naturally aspirated and ITB, Flatplane crank, peak power about. 580bhp.
When has BMW ever built a road going, flat plane crank V8?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #49
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Not sure there is a sufficiently large market for a 300k+ BMW car, particularly since BMW has been diluting it's image.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #50
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
Spartan mufflers will satisfy the noise requirements. Even with the turbo, the engine isn't so quite as to meet noise levels for even the loudest OEM exhausts.
Not sure what you mean by this, but you can't replace induction noise with exhaust noise. Try revmatch downshifting in a 335 and you'll see what I mean.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #51
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Not sure what you mean by this, but you can't replace induction noise with exhaust noise. Try revmatch downshifting in a 335 and you'll see what I mean.
I assumed you were talking about the exhaust noise, when I made that post. I see you were talking about induction noise.

Seeing as I have an N54 and I rev match on downshifts all the time, I know exactly what you mean. The only time I've really enjoyed the induction noise my car has made was when the charge pipe would separate from the intercooler outlet. Man, I was tempted to just leave it, because the car sounded so much better.


I think that induction noise could be significantly improved with a shorter intake and a paper-cone filter. Forget the airbox, just stick the filter on the impeller housing.



Editl: BTW, your car is gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #52
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Tåst's Avatar
2
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: BMW, I think.
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FIN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
When has BMW ever built a road going, flat plane crank V8?
Bmw not ever build, but they can do it now, because without flatplane crank, it not sound like mid-engine supercar, especially if it is turbocharged and induction noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #53
rave426
Oh Hai
7
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 997.1 Porsche 911 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I really hope very little of that is true. If BMW drops a tuned version of the M5 engine into a 300k supercar they deserve to fail. What happened to the BMW I grew up to love as a child I have no idea.
__________________
BMW don't screw up the M3. K
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #54
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rickster311's Avatar
10
Rep
210
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstave
This "Halo" car, as economically and environmentally unviable as it may be, is a necessary step for BMW...given the road of segment diversification its going down with its models. If it wants to hold on to the performance machine image it's built over the last few decades, they should build it.
Exactly.

BMW needs a new halo performance car. This could be it, but at a 300k sticker it might not sell well when compared to what else is offered in that range. Now of BMW only makes a few hundred units only, they will all sell given there is a lot of die hard loyalists who want it solely to say they have it, but if they are looking to conquest R8/Porsche 911 turbo S/MB SLS, this vehicle will have priced in the $160-$210k range.

Now if its a halo like the Porsche 918, that's a different story but they can't expect to win over a lot of conquests from MB/Audi. Plus if this does come out - BMW essentially won't have a sports car offered from $110k - $300+k which wouldn't event make much sense. Why offer a halo car when there isn't a version of it offered to conquest the other Germans...

My hope... V8TT for base model at ~$175k with i8 being closer to $300k range. Makes more sense IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #55
clbmw
Captain
7
Rep
815
Posts

 
Drives: 320d & 330i (RIP 330d)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I wonder how many R8s CLSs GTRs, Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens will be sold while BMW still drag this out.

Realistically they've got nothing that competes properly with super cars and nothing that competes with hyper cars. Yes the M6 is awesome and I'd love one, but according to the reviews I've read it's more grand tourer than super car. Based on that
I'd rather have a 3 series and a GTR if I had to choose from scratch.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #56
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
Bmw not ever build, but they can do it now, because without flatplane crank, it not sound like mid-engine supercar, especially if it is turbocharged and induction noise is gone.
Oh, I know they certainly could. But, would they? Audi didn't. Everyone likes that car.


A flat plane engine isn't going to solve the induction noise problem, if the car has forced induction, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #57
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Tåst's Avatar
2
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: BMW, I think.
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FIN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
Oh, I know they certainly could. But, would they? Audi didn't. Everyone likes that car.


A flat plane engine isn't going to solve the induction noise problem, if the car has forced induction, IMO.
If you talking V8 R8, it´s good car for it´s price 120k€, car and driver except that Bmw is double priced (250k€) so engine need to be something special, I think ordinary V8 is not that.

Can they make it? I don´t know, but always can speculate. 250k€ price is so high that they maybe can make engine just for M8, there are also lots of little manufacturer which are trouble on emission requipments and they maybe intrested on new tecnology flat plane V8tt engine, it sound also good.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #58
Jonjt
Lieutenant
5
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
If you talking V8 R8, it´s good car for it´s price 120k€, car and driver except that Bmw is double priced (250k€) so engine need to be something special, I think ordinary V8 is not that.

Can they make it? I don´t know, but always can speculate. 250k€ price is so high that they maybe can make engine just for M8, there are also lots of little manufacturer which are trouble on emission requipments and they maybe intrested on new tecnology flat plane V8tt engine, it sound also good.
Ah, I see that this guess is predicated on C&Ds price estimate. Meh, I'll wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #59
Alpine F31
Lieutenant Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,835
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
That rendering is absolutely ridiculous.
Yes it is! It looks like someone flat ironed the M4 concept.
__________________
2013 328i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #60
Jay-K
Colonel
Jay-K's Avatar
Indonesia
35
Rep
2,516
Posts

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

always wanted to own a supercar, from BMW of course.

i'm in.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #61
Matski
Captain
Matski's Avatar
England
13
Rep
643
Posts

 
Drives: A slow BMW
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

3.0 Twin turbo 6 cylinder 'B' architecture engine, based on M-bosses comments of around 310hp for the 3 cylinder version, I don't think 600hp would be crazy for a 6 cylinder version.

Won't be based on the i8. But will use lots of Carbon Fibre tech.

Will debut as a concept to celebrate the 100th anniversary.

Hefty price tag... then built to order.

It will look nothing like the M1 Hommage with 4 series concept front bumper (as per C&D artwork)

That's my prediction.
__________________
3/15 to i8, and everything in between (yep, even including the F26 and F45)

Last edited by Matski; 05-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #62
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,480
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Why would u buy a BMW for 300k? No matter if its 8,9 or 10 series. At this price you r in a diff market.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #63
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
lsmkr01's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,646
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
That rendering is absolutely ridiculous.
Looks terribly homemade.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #64
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Brucewonder's Avatar
17
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Why would u buy a BMW for 300k? No matter if its 8,9 or 10 series. At this price you r in a diff market.
seriously, like how i would never buy an m6. complete waste of $ im serious
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 SSII/FR
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #65
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
313
Rep
3,241
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Absolute Rubbish.

Although ideas , strategies and discussion exist, there is nothing 100% final as of yet. The idea is to show something on the 100th anniversary but this will feature all of BMWs brands and sub-Brands. Any development of such a car cannot commence until BMW are in full volume production of CFRP. As of now final stages of production test for the i3 are underway in Leipzig. Once BMW makes full volume CFRP production, then we can talk about a sports car as BMW needs its CFRP production to be cost effective for such a concept to be not only competitive but also profitable.

The i3 and i8 are acorns that will grow the great oak.

The current focus is on the game-changing BMW i8. When that is launched their will be nothing else like it on the market.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #66
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
lsmkr01's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,646
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Absolute Rubbish.

Although ideas , strategies and discussion exist, there is nothing 100% final as of yet. The idea is to show something on the 100th anniversary but this will feature all of BMWs brands and sub-Brands. Any development of such a car cannot commence until BMW are in full volume production of CFRP. As of now final stages of production test for the i3 are underway in Leipzig. Once BMW makes full volume CFRP production, then we can talk about a sports car as BMW needs its CFRP production to be cost effective for such a concept to be not only competitive but also profitable.

The i3 and i8 are acorns that will grow the great oak.

The current focus is on the game-changing BMW i8. When that is launched their will be nothing else like it on the market.
When do you think the CFRP tech will make it to the M3/M4? I'm assuming the next generation so around 8 yrs from now? I know the 7 will be the first in the line up to receive the treatment.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2016 bmw m8, 2016 m8, 2017 bmw m8, 2017 m8, bmw halo car, bmw m8, bmw m8 forum, bmw m8 forums, bmw m8 info, bmw m8 news, bmw m8 rumor, bmw m8 rumors, bmw m8 specs, bmw m8 super car, bmw m8 supercar, bmw m8 updates, bmw super car, bmw supercar, m8 forum, m8 forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST