BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
killadelphiaM3
Private First Class
 
killadelphiaM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 JB ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Everywhere and Anywhere

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

How wide?

How wide can you go front and rear on tire size on the stock comp pack wheels?
killadelphiaM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
abehwang
Captain
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
How wide can you go front and rear on tire size on the stock comp pack wheels?
I have 275/30/19 in the front
__________________
2008 E90 M3: Alpine White/ Fox Red Novillo/ Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | EPS | PDC | Ipod/USB |

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
abehwang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Nordstat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
How wide can you go front and rear on tire size on the stock comp pack wheels?
I have 275/30/19 in the front
What tires? Thanks.
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Nordstat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,685
iTrader: (12)

275/30/19 will work but it's a little wide for a 9" wheel. I would recommend 255/35/19's for the front and 275/35/19 for the rear which will be a better match for the 9" and 10" wheels.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,202
iTrader: (2)

__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
 
Merked M3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Posts: 356
iTrader: (0)

The widest you should be able to run comfortably is 265 front and 285 rear.
Any larger may be too big and decrease performance.
__________________
2008 E90 M3 6-MT - Sold but not forgotten - amazing car

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Merked M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,139
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
A-flipping-men.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Nordstat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Ha! I see 3 threads posted in the past week with this same question. Kinda funny. I answered the first two...not so much the 3rd.

BUT if it helps, in installing 275/30 and 295/30 PSS on AG 359's tomorrow in prep for my ESS install in a week. Very excited...
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Nordstat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Nordstat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Ok, so I switched out my Vred 245/35 and 275/35 for PSS 275/30 and 295/30 today. All I can say is WOW what a difference. My first thoughts after driving around today...

THE GOOD: Incredible grip. Even right off the lot, they stuck to the road like glue. It is difficult to put into words how sticky these things are...especially with this width. Corners, straight lines, whatever. You are not going to slide unless you REALLY want to...or if you are SCed (...soon).

THE BAD: A minor loss in steering feel, and a perceived sense of lessened sharpness when not pushing the car. As speed goes up, the natural M3 sharpness returns, however. Also, the car feels artificially heavy around town, despite the tires weighing approximately the same. Be it good or bad, I think it has to do with a combination of extra grip and extra width (i.e. more road friction).

RUBBING: Fronts - no problem, no rub from lock to lock. Rears - no rubbing under normal driving, hard corners, and launches. Yes, they do rub on the fender liner under full compression, but diligent driving habits will prevent this.

THE VERDICT: Fantastic switch. I cannot wait to see how they handle the extra power of an ESS!

Hope this helps!
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Nordstat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
RenoE92M3
Private
 
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reno/Tahoe

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
Ok, so I switched out my Vred 245/35 and 275/35 for PSS 275/30 and 295/30 today. All I can say is WOW what a difference. My first thoughts after driving around today...

THE GOOD: Incredible grip. Even right off the lot, they stuck to the road like glue. It is difficult to put into words how sticky these things are...especially with this width. Corners, straight lines, whatever. You are not going to slide unless you REALLY want to...or if you are SCed (...soon).

THE BAD: A minor loss in steering feel, and a perceived sense of lessened sharpness when not pushing the car. As speed goes up, the natural M3 sharpness returns, however. Also, the car feels artificially heavy around town, despite the tires weighing approximately the same. Be it good or bad, I think it has to do with a combination of extra grip and extra width (i.e. more road friction).

RUBBING: Fronts - no problem, no rub from lock to lock. Rears - no rubbing under normal driving, hard corners, and launches. Yes, they do rub on the fender liner under full compression, but diligent driving habits will prevent this.

THE VERDICT: Fantastic switch. I cannot wait to see how they handle the extra power of an ESS!

Hope this helps!
I'm running 275 30 19 fronts and 305 30 19 rears with H&R race springs with no rubbing at all even on the track. I dont see how you could be rubbing?
RenoE92M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Nordstat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)



I have an e90 on non-ZCP EDC suspension. Not really rubbing as I said, just on harsh road bumps. No big deal IMHO.

Edit: Also may be wheel size? If you have a wider wheel, the tire may be more stretched and slightly shorter or may have less of a shoulder to catch the fender. Just a thought.
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Nordstat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
vastano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC/Greenville, SC

Posts: 549
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoE92M3 View Post
I'm running 275 30 19 fronts and 305 30 19 rears with H&R race springs with no rubbing at all even on the track. I dont see how you could be rubbing?
Semi- off topic, but this is good to hear. I'm looking at Swift springs and was wondering if I could run 295s with them. Since the H&R's lower the rear 0.6 and the Swifts lower the rear 0.7, i'd say i'll be ok.
vastano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
RenoE92M3
Private
 
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reno/Tahoe

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
Semi- off topic, but this is good to hear. I'm looking at Swift springs and was wondering if I could run 295s with them. Since the H&R's lower the rear 0.6 and the Swifts lower the rear 0.7, i'd say i'll be ok.
How is that off topic? I have 359m wheels too. I doubt the .01 of an inch will matter although if they are really soft you may have problems. go 305s
RenoE92M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Powerbeast
Major General
 
Powerbeast's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6,982
iTrader: (4)

Im running 255/265 PSS
Powerbeast is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST