BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3

Fluctuating Idle on Warm Start?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. The car is still under BMW warranty but there is no check engine light so I think its going to be a battle to get the dealer to diagnose and fix the issue.

This problem (coincidently?) started after Crevier BMW replaced the spark plugs, oil, etc. during a routine service.

After a warm start only (usually after the car has been sitting for 45 minutes but could be as little as a couple minutes to maybe an hour and a half) the car will begin idling normally at around 600 RPM and then the idle will violently fluctuate 3-4 times between 400 - 1000 RPM. The car is a DCT and sometimes it will idle fine for several seconds in neutral but as soon as I put it into reverse the idle will begin surging.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I've seen this happen on a bunch of cars. I would suggest a software update first, and if it's not that, it's probably an ICV on the way out (could take thousands of miles to throw a code or fail completely), or a throttle actuator issue in most cases.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I had the car updated by the dealer to latest firmware right around the time I first noticed the problem. Unfortunately, i can't remember if the problem existed beforehand. Is it possible upgrading firmware caused this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Hey guys,

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. The car is still under BMW warranty but there is no check engine light so I think its going to be a battle to get the dealer to diagnose and fix the issue.

This problem (coincidently?) started after Crevier BMW replaced the spark plugs, oil, etc. during a routine service.

After a warm start only (usually after the car has been sitting for 45 minutes but could be as little as a couple minutes to maybe an hour and a half) the car will begin idling normally at around 600 RPM and then the idle will violently fluctuate 3-4 times between 400 - 1000 RPM. The car is a DCT and sometimes it will idle fine for several seconds in neutral but as soon as I put it into reverse the idle will begin surging.

Any ideas?
Just had this EXACT same thing happen to me three weeks ago. Only difference, is my car is a 6MT. Idle would go back and forth between 500 and 1100. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the Idle Actuator:

Idle regulating valve Permanent malfunction
1 13-62-7-838-085 ACTUATOR:136099
1341550 Replacing idle actuator (after vehicle diagnosis)
FC: 1341011500

Was completely covered under warranty. Take her in!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Just had this EXACT same thing happen to me three weeks ago. Only difference, is my car is a 6MT. Idle would go back and forth between 500 and 1100. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the Idle Actuator:

Idle regulating valve Permanent malfunction
1 13-62-7-838-085 ACTUATOR:136099
1341550 Replacing idle actuator (after vehicle diagnosis)
FC: 1341011500

Was completely covered under warranty. Take her in!
Is idle actuator another term for the throttle actuator?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 m3, 2011 S1000 rr

Quote:
Is idle actuator another term for the throttle actuator?
no idle actuator is just for idle.. i had mine go out.. 2011 with on 12k miles.. i would check faults first.. mine also does that idle fluctuation even after i replaced my idle valve..
      05-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautiongsr View Post
no idle actuator is just for idle.. i had mine go out.. 2011 with on 12k miles.. i would check faults first.. mine also does that idle fluctuation even after i replaced my idle valve..
Just a note that this issue doesn't always throw faults (According to the repair tech who was M-certified, it takes several key cycles for it to throw an OBD error). When this happened to me, it didn't throw an error. Luckily, I was near the dealer when it started happening (~ 5 miles), and drove in to show them while the engine was doing it. They took it in, connected it to their system, and were able to get an error (Not a fault in the car) on their testing system.

Chances are, you'll have to take it in and tell them, have them connect it and run some tests. If they don't find something, then unfortunately, the only sure-fire way to get it fixed is to wait for it to happen again, and then take it to the dealer (Don't turn the car off, as it will reset the actuators).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
it could be as simples as bad gas...

try putting a techron 20 gallons and see if that goes away... but everyone had mentioned could be IA...

i had the same issue several months back and it was due to Fuel Pressure sensor... code is usually P0191 and P0195...
      05-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 m3, 2011 S1000 rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Just a note that this issue doesn't always throw faults (According to the repair tech who was M-certified, it takes several key cycles for it to throw an OBD error). When this happened to me, it didn't throw an error. Luckily, I was near the dealer when it started happening (~ 5 miles), and drove in to show them while the engine was doing it. They took it in, connected it to their system, and were able to get an error (Not a fault in the car) on their testing system.

Chances are, you'll have to take it in and tell them, have them connect it and run some tests. If they don't find something, then unfortunately, the only sure-fire way to get it fixed is to wait for it to happen again, and then take it to the dealer (Don't turn the car off, as it will reset the actuators).
i hear about that alot.. most scanner wont see all the codes.. but seriously if the ses light comes on it will store a code.. usually its in the shadow memory...

bad gas usually will always misfire on hard aacceleration..
      05-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Are there any SIB related to the ICV / actuators? I took the car into the dealer today and mentioned SIB 13 05 08 but my SA could not find it in his system.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Update: They replaced the ICV but it didn't fix the problem. Back to the dealer it goes..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Dealer is stumped and says they can't replicate so are unwilling to go any further.

At this point I am pretty convinced the culprit is either a throttle actuator or as a result of the the new software update. The problem started shortly after they updated the software.

Last edited by W Cole; 06-03-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dealer is stumped and says they can't replicate so are unwilling to go any further.

At this point I am pretty convinced the culprit is either the idle actuator or as a result of the the new software update. The problem started shortly after they updated the software.
I seriously doubt it's the software update. It's the actuator, and it's just not throwing codes like mine. Only reason I got it replaced without codes, was because I drove her into the dealership while it was actually happening.

Sent you a PM with more info. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
W Cole
Captain
Rep

So I ended up taking it back to the dealer this past week, the car is still exhibiting the idle problems on start up but I took it in because I noticed that when replacing the ICV they left off a piece of the intake and the engine was just sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

At this point I am 99.9% sure the idle issue is software and a result of them updating my car but they say I already have the latest firmware which may or may not be true and that simply "re-installing" won't do anything to fix the problem. They said they were able to confirm through "checksums" that the software is operating properly.

Any ideas?

Last edited by W Cole; 07-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
So I ended up taking it back to the dealer this past week, the car is still exhibiting the idle problems on start up but I took it in because I noticed that when replacing the ICV they left off a piece of the intake and the engine was just sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

At this point I am 99.9% sure the idle issue is software and a result of them updating my car but they say I already have the latest firmware which may more may not be true and that simply "re-installing" won't do anything to fix the problem. They said they were able to confirm through "checksums" that the software is operating properly.

Any ideas?
Bring it to me and ill rule out any software issue for you.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
W Cole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Bring it to me and ill rule out any software issue for you.
Thanks mike. Ill get in touch with you Monday.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
At this point I am 99.9% sure the idle issue is software

Any ideas?
Over the course of about 3 months that's what mine did ... then it trended into a rough idle, then more hesitation at low rpms - it would kind of pause, then it died during start up once, then a few days later I got all of the lights.

Turned out to be a failing bank 1 throttle actuator valve - they have to pull the manifold to get at it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769035
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
Longwong
Banned
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 catless

Just had this problem as well. Random, no cel, no codes. Happened, dropped it off. Dealer replicated crazy idle and checked a number of things. Then said it was my xpipe with HFC lol. So I picked the car up and oddly the problem was gone and idles perfectly. So I am just waiting for it to happen again and hopefully throw a code!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Just had this problem as well. Random, no cel, no codes. Happened, dropped it off. Dealer replicated crazy idle and checked a number of things. Then said it was my xpipe with HFC lol. So I picked the car up and oddly the problem was gone and idles perfectly. So I am just waiting for it to happen again and hopefully throw a code!
That's ridiculous... Let us know if you get it resolved. Good luck!
      07-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Longwong
Banned
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 catless

Yes especially since I had the x-pipe for 40k miles of trouble free driving lol. But I understand as they are mere sheep. They follow a protocol. With no codes or CEL they are useless.

Kind of like modern medicine where you get some doctors who rely overly on technology or flow-sheet's. If it does not exactly fit into one of their flow-chart's or objective test parameters they are stumped.

The dealer has been decent about me being x-pipe/HFC and have not made it an issue for many other random things so instead of push it I will just wait for a clear code. My car was stalling when I brought it in and they replicated the stall at idle so clearly they will need to see a code as it could not have been any more obvious.

That is life dealing with liking to do mods and going to the dealer! That is why I change my own oil, sparks, filters, sensors and anything else I can do to not haggle with them but some things are beyond my scope!
Appreciate 0