BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Alpine HID

05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #67
aussiem3
Major

Drives: '07 E92 M3/'11 F25 X3 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
You are going with the TTPs with an MPE, or the stock modification?
///PE with TTP. No, I didn't go down the path of modification.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune
2011 F25 X3 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      05-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #68
superflywheel
ʘʘ Comandante

Drives: 2011.50001 E92 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
I just installed an MPE. Initially I was underwhelmed from inside the cabin, windows down. From outside, I think it sounds great - nice loudness, great sound character that's non-stock yet non-aftermarket too. I just wish I could have the outside sound piped into the cabin!!!

Anyway, my car with stock exhaust had slight drone at ~1.9K - not the kind of drone that makes you want to drill a hole in your head but if you were listening for it you could hear it. The MPE makes this a little louder; still not an issue but the point being that pretty much any freer flowing exhaust is going to amplify whatever sounds your engine is producing. The sound between 3.5K and 4.0K is really awesome! WOT is even more fun now.

Overall for MPE
superflywheel is offline   United_States
      05-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #69
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
M Performance sounds incredible... just dont pair it with aftermarket xpipe. Specially removing the primary cat...
      05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #70
AJ_MO
Private

Drives: BMW M3 E93

I installed it two months ago. Have done plenty hard driving to "open it" properly, 5000 km done already.

Pro:
-Awesome sound under 4000rpm, not too loud, just perfect.
-50% lighter than stock.
-Love the looks!
-Quality.

Against:
-No big deal over 4000rpm, the higher level is reached at 4000 over that is just like stock ! And that's too bad because I want to hear it if I'm going over 4000rpm...so I don't like the parking show off set up.
-BIG DRONE between 3500-4000rpm...cruising at 130-160km/h it's headache for sure!

= Not satisfied.

'08 M3 E93 DCT - Individual Diopsidschwarz/Palladium -19" 220 Gunmetal - 12mm H&R spacers - H&R Swaybars - BMC filter - M Performance grills - ECU - Zimmerann Rotors/Brembo Sport Pads
AJ_MO is offline   Italy
      05-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #71
roddyc
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_MO View Post
I installed it two months ago. Have done plenty hard driving to "open it" properly, 5000 km done already.

Pro:
-50% lighter than stock.
-Love the looks!
-Quality.

Against:
-No big deal over 4000rpm, the higher level is reached at 4000 over that is just like stock ! And that's too bad because I want to hear it if I'm going over 4000rpm...so I don't like the parking show off set up.
-BIG DRONE between 3500-4000rpm...cruising at 130-160km/h it's headache for sure!

= Not satisfied.
I know it's all subjective, but I would disagree with two of your points:

1) over 4000 rpm sounds way different than stock on my car and imo considerably better although there is a tiny bit of rasp even with the stock x-pipe and

2) I have virtually no drone (only at around 1700-1800 rpm as another poster mentioned and only when bogging the engine). Highway cruising is perfect for me and I am pretty sensitive to drone.

You may want to double check all the connections as an exhaust leak may account for some of the unpleasantness.
roddyc is offline   United_States
      05-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #72
AJ_MO
Private

Glad to hear this from you...the exhaust was installed by the BMW dealer but I think I'm going to check it by another shop! Because when I claimed this drone problem with BMW, they told me it was normal and that in the coupe it was worse! WTF????!!!!!

'08 M3 E93 DCT - Individual Diopsidschwarz/Palladium -19" 220 Gunmetal - 12mm H&R spacers - H&R Swaybars - BMC filter - M Performance grills - ECU - Zimmerann Rotors/Brembo Sport Pads
AJ_MO is offline   Italy
      05-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #73
alee0729
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2001 E46 330Ci

Don't discount that everyone's hearing and sensitivity to sound is different. Like nails on a chalkboard... some people can tolerate it, and some people can't handle it.
      05-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #74
///M3THOD
Major

Drives: F06 GranCoupe, CLS63

People and their opinions on exhausts are as individual as those people themselves.

They only way to really judge an exhaust is to hear the setup. I've heard a MPE without an x-pipe and I thought it sounded nice. The reason I didn't go with one is because I find they very expensive for what they are, or at least what their alternatives cost.. and cosmetically they don't do it for me.

I have heard that they didn't sound great with and X-Pipe, but every x-pipe variation/manufacturer will sound slightly different.

I bought a Dinan rear and put in Turner test pipes.

Great aggressive exhaust note, not overly loud when normally driven, ZERO drone, good performance increase, and I love the tips (if they would polish the canisters it weould be even better), no smell w/ the retention of the secondaries.

Here's a quick video from when I just installed it, no much to it but you get the idea.

///M3THOD is offline   United_States
      05-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #75
aussiem3
Major

Drives: '07 E92 M3/'11 F25 X3 3.0D

Quote:

Pro:
-50% lighter than stock.
-Love the looks!
-Quality.

Against:

= Not satisfied.
It sounds great under load. Exotic and I am glad I bought one of these even at a price. I don't think from what I have heard out there no aftermarket come close to the ///PE. But then again as pointed out it's subjective.

Even with the stock exhaust there is drone between 1500-2000 rpm in 5th gear and it's present with the ///PE too. As long as you keep on the gas pedal it's fine but the moment you back off you hear the drone. It's not annoying like most aftermarket ones. Please don't take this as a criticism against any aftermarket product. Just my personal observation and I have the right to it.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune
2011 F25 X3 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      05-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #76
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Glad to hear this from you...the exhaust was installed by the BMW dealer but I think I'm going to check it by another shop! Because when I claimed this drone problem with BMW, they told me it was normal and that in the coupe it was worse! WTF????!!!!!
Jeez, what a BS line from your dealer. I'd have the connections checked for leaks. On one of my exhaust installs the shop didn't make a good connection on a pipe and that turned my MPE into a fart can. Hopefully that's all it is for you too. I'm very sensitive to drone, you shouldn't hear any irritating frequencies from the MPE.
Denk is offline   United_States
      05-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #77
Projectile
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92

Mine's getting installed at the end of May!
Projectile is offline   Canada
      05-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #78
epbb
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflywheel View Post
I just installed an MPE. Initially I was underwhelmed from inside the cabin, windows down. From outside, I think it sounds great - nice loudness, great sound character that's non-stock yet non-aftermarket too. I just wish I could have the outside sound piped into the cabin!!!

Anyway, my car with stock exhaust had slight drone at ~1.9K - not the kind of drone that makes you want to drill a hole in your head but if you were listening for it you could hear it. The MPE makes this a little louder; still not an issue but the point being that pretty much any freer flowing exhaust is going to amplify whatever sounds your engine is producing. The sound between 3.5K and 4.0K is really awesome! WOT is even more fun now.

Overall for MPE
Just wait until you break it in. It just gets better.

Quote:
This is the sketchiest thing I've heard... The MPE has no drone, and if it does, it was installed poorly. Smart idea to get it checked out somewhere else... Keep us posted!

Also, as an FYI, the sound over 4K (As well as overall) gets MUCH better as you break it in. I'm at about 1000 miles on mine, it sounds amazing, and gets better every week!
      05-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #79
AJ_MO
Private

Hi! I took the car to a friend shop, you guys were right! There were 3 lose bolts 2 from muffler to x pipes and 1 from headers to x pipes...while I was under the car controlling I notice that there were a few missing bolts that support the heat shields...really upset about this. I add all the missing bolts. Now the drone between 3500-4000 is almost none...

I'm really piss off. I go to the dealer because I'm under warranty but I have to control afterwards every time they touch something...INSANE! I'm wordless.

In this cases you can tell how this forum with all the experiences accumulated from all us really worth a lot!

Thanks!

AJ_MO is offline   Italy
      05-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #80
epbb
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Hi! I took the car to a friend shop, you guys were right! There were 3 lose bolts 2 from muffler to x pipes and 1 from headers to x pipes...while I was under the car controlling I notice that there were a few missing bolts that support the heat shields...really upset about this. I add all the missing bolts. Now the drone between 3500-4000 is almost none...

I'm really piss off. I go to the dealer because I'm under warranty but I have to control afterwards every time they touch something...INSANE! I'm wordless.

In this cases you can tell how this forum with all the experiences accumulated from all us really worth a lot!

Thanks!
Glad you got it sorted out!
      05-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #81
crabman
Captain

Drives: M3

Quote:

Thanks!
I told you this on the drone thread already. At that RPM you were above the RPM of significant drone on a quieter exhaust where the sound pressure level is not high enough to produce resonance at higher frequencies. When you are in this situation its going to be loose connections causing a vibration and/or exhaust leaks every time.
      05-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #82
Peahi
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:

Thanks!
Wow, you can't trust those guys now...ever. Did you tell them it was a loose exhaust after all? I'd be pissed off too.