BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GetBMWParts

04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Drives: E55 AMG

Getting ready to use Betalink... Help

Hey,

Removed my old OEM spoiler on the E90 and the old adhesive is gone!!
I ordered the Betalink from BMW and it will be here today. Before I go and make a mess can anyone give me an idea on how much glue I really need to apply. I've been looking at some other threads and the word "sparingly" popped up. Was actually thinking about painting it on the spoiler with a small brush to the contact areas vs. straight from the tube?

any suggestions will help

Thanks
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
      04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
roddyc
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 M3

I believe it comes with an applicator which isn't all that great; using the brush should work better. Apply it on thin, and most importantly, do any cleanup you want to do with the betalink remover within 5 to 10 minutes. Once it dries, it is extremely difficult to get off. Also, be careful not to apply too much near the edges to avoid betalink oozing out. It's a little difficult to clean effectively around the edges while the spoiler isn't fully set. Having clamps on hand to hold down the ends of the spoiler while it sets may also be helpful as I had one end that didn't sit flush until I clamped it down despite the fact the spoiler was OEM.
roddyc is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc
I believe it comes with an applicator which isn't all that great; using the brush should work better. Apply it on thin, and most importantly, do any cleanup you want to do with the betalink remover within 5 to 10 minutes. Once it dries, it is extremely difficult to get off. Also, be careful not to apply too much near the edges to avoid betalink oozing out. It's a little difficult to clean effectively around the edges while the spoiler isn't fully set. Having clamps on hand to hold down the ends of the spoiler while it sets may also be helpful as I had one end that didn't sit flush until I clamped it down despite the fact the spoiler was OEM.
Thanks all questions answered here!
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
      04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
pseto
Major General

Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4

+1 on clamps and let it sit overnight. also, another person to help you line up the spoiler really helps a lot as does another set of eyes to make sure everything is straight.

i actually was fairly generous with the betalink, but definitely clean it up ASAP. actually an extra bottle of cleaner would have been nice, i used every drop in the one small can that came with it.

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
ortho281
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Have a friend help you hold spoiler in place. Use blue masking tape around edges of spoiler after trial fit to ease the clean up process. Use beta link sparingly, but don't worry about excess, as most will end up on masking tape after pressing spoiler into place. Scrape and wipe away excess before removing tape and wipe again once removing tape with solvent. Use 2" masking tape to hold spoiler in place. Remove tape before fully setting and ck edges under tape for further clean up.

Good Luck!

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW S/O springs / Vorshlag plates / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / Cantrell Motorsports roll cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel
ortho281 is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Wear latex gloves. Take your time, that stuff just seems to get all over the place if you get in a hurry. The time to hurry is using the remover for cleanup, it cleans up easy enough within the first few minutes. Like the other guys said, use sparingly.
Denk is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Thanks guys! going to wait for my brothers help saturday and get it done.

Last edited by Nati Beastcat; 04-24-2013 at 06:43 PM.
      04-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
surlynkid
Captain

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
the hardest place to clean it up, thus the place where i would not overdue it, is in the rear center section where it tucks up into a very tight space. harder to get the excess out of there. every other spot where the spoiler meets the car is easy to clean up. i laid down blue painters tape exactly outlining where i was going to mount it, so that reduced excess betalink a lot. i still need to clean some up from the tight area in behind. if i had a dark car, i would leave it. with white, it annoys me that i can see it.

the side tips will want to pop up, so you will definitely need to secure those down well until it sets up and cures.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | 90mm Turner Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Performance Steering Wheel | CF Mirror Caps | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit | Vorshlag Camber Plates | AiM Solo DL
      04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Sleeper519
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

+1 for blue painters tape. Spend some time test fitting it (dry) exactly where it should rest and mark edge lines with the tape--it will keep you lined up when you lay it down with goop on it, plus it will pick up some of the spill over.

A thin layer evenly spread will do--I used rubber surgical gloves. Hold it firmly by hand for a couple of minutes, then strap it down carefully with more painters tape to hold it firm. This will squeeze out the rest of the betalink excess. Also, the best cleanup tool is a dry Q-tip(s) around the edges to snag the spillover. You'll have 5-10 minutes at least to comfortably clean up the excess, not much more though.

It's an easy and satisfying DIY. Good luck!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
      04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
+1 for blue painters tape. Spend some time test fitting it (dry) exactly where it should rest and mark edge lines with the tape--it will keep you lined up when you lay it down with goop on it, plus it will pick up some of the spill over.

A thin layer evenly spread will do--I used rubber surgical gloves. Hold it firmly by hand for a couple of minutes, then strap it down carefully with more painters tape to hold it firm. This will squeeze out the rest of the betalink excess. Also, the best cleanup tool is a dry Q-tip(s) around the edges to snag the spillover. You'll have 5-10 minutes at least to comfortably clean up the excess, not much more though.

It's an easy and satisfying DIY. Good luck!
Thanks! bmw is taking forever to get the betalink in.... all of these tips are going to good use when its time.
      04-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3

USE GLOVES! It's NASTY stuff to try to get off your skin.

I had the best luck reading the instructions - let parts dry until "tacky" then install and clamp or tape down.
      04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Thanks! bmw is taking forever to get the betalink in.... all of these tips are going to good use when its time.
Hey about how much is BMW charging for a tube of this stuff? I have front splitters and possibly a rear spoiler coming in and was wondering how big the tube is to make sure i will have enough.
lsmkr01 is online now   United_States
      04-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Hey about how much is BMW charging for a tube of this stuff? I have front splitters and possibly a rear spoiler coming in and was wondering how big the tube is to make sure i will have enough.
I think he said $36...
      05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
dondula
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 m4

Just keep in mind, the beta link doesn't dry instantly so take your time.. It's okay if it gets everywhere, just clean the excess up with the betalink remover that comes with the glue kit.. use the plastic scraper to scrape the edges of the spoiler to really clean all the glue that gushes out from the spoiler edges.. Use painters tape to secure the spoiler down firm after you finish clean up.. after you secure the spoiler with painters tape, then without touching the spoiler, just go along and give it some more clean up of excess glue. like I said, take your time, don't be in a hurry, you have plenty of time before the glue dries.
you can even slide the spoiler a touch if it is not 100% inline. But once this stuff dries, the spoiler is there forever. so make sure you get it right, otherwise, better off just letting BMW do the install for a couple hundred. infact, even tho I know how to do the install and mine came out perfect, I would never go through this again on my next m3/m4... too much BS with cleaning off, removing old glue and spoiler, then re-installing the new.. if you like this sort of thing then go for it.

also, don't go in car washes again if you're doing CF spoiler.. touch less washes only.
      05-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula
Just keep in mind, the beta link doesn't dry instantly so take your time.. It's okay if it gets everywhere, just clean the excess up with the betalink remover that comes with the glue kit.. use the plastic scraper to scrape the edges of the spoiler to really clean all the glue that gushes out from the spoiler edges.. Use painters tape to secure the spoiler down firm after you finish clean up.. after you secure the spoiler with painters tape, then without touching the spoiler, just go along and give it some more clean up of excess glue. like I said, take your time, don't be in a hurry, you have plenty of time before the glue dries.
you can even slide the spoiler a touch if it is not 100% inline. But once this stuff dries, the spoiler is there forever. so make sure you get it right, otherwise, better off just letting BMW do the install for a couple hundred. infact, even tho I know how to do the install and mine came out perfect, I would never go through this again on my next m3/m4... too much BS with cleaning off, removing old glue and spoiler, then re-installing the new.. if you like this sort of thing then go for it.

also, don't go in car washes again if you're doing CF spoiler.. touch less washes only.
Thanks for that write up. It's like the ultimate guide to betalink thread
      05-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
better off just letting BMW do the install for a couple hundred. infact, even tho I know how to do the install and mine came out perfect, I would never go through this again on my next m3/m4... too much BS with cleaning off, removing old glue and spoiler, then re-installing the new.. if you like this sort of thing then go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Thanks for that write up. It's like the ultimate guide to betalink thread
BMW only charged me 30 minutes labor & I removed the old spoiler.
Moxie is online now   Germany
      05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Friend of mine called last night. His shop was slow and he owed me a favor... Gave him the betalink and your words of wisdom and its getting done by a professional for free!

Dropped it off at 7:30 this morning

Last edited by Nati Beastcat; 05-03-2013 at 08:17 AM.