BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

DCT issue tonight. Failed upshifts on an ESS 625 M3

Info on car.

08 M-DCT 55k miles
ESS 625 (just installed 300 miles ago)
526hp/348tq corrected (4xxhp uncorrected in colorado)

Took a buddy out for a ride tonight and had an issue come up that has me a bit concerned.

Was out and went WOT in 2nd at around 8500 (have the ESS 8600 raised redline) I hit my up-shift paddle and nothing... Didn't up-shift, just banged off rev limit for a second. I got out of the gas and hit paddle multiple times, and it went up to 7, but while it did, the DCT bars dropped from full to 3 bars on my display automatically. Tried it one more time an hour or so later when i was driving home solo, and it did the same thing again but from the 3 to 4 shift. I have never had this issue or any issues with the tranny up until tonight. The only recent changes to the car have been the ESS 625 blower and threw on some Drag radials. Outside of that, nada. Spoke with Andrew @ AR design/Alpha motorsports and he recommended a fluid change in the DCT tomorrow and he is going to call Roman @ ESS and see if he has run into this with his Supercharged M3's Has anyone had these issues before?
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
That sucks. You know the saying... you gotta pay to play. I hope its something cheap to fix, but it sounds like you might have broke something.

I would think the ESS 625 + drag radials = a lot of stress on the drive train.

No error codes popped up?
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
That sucks. You know the saying... you gotta pay to play. I hope its something cheap to fix, but it sounds like you might have broke something.

I would think the ESS 625 + drag radials = a lot of stress on the drive train.

No error codes popped up?
Yea we aren't sure. Well, i haven't launched the car since the DR's/supercharger install. These were roll on throttles, plus im not making power like the majority of the 625 owners. Im 6000ft above sea level, so my uncorrected numbers were like 465hp i believe, so there shouldn't be issues with the DCT considering many people with 500+ uncorrected have beat the ever living shit out of their DCT's with no issues.
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Yea we aren't sure. Well, i haven't launched the car since the DR's/supercharger install. These were roll on throttles, plus im not making power like the majority of the 625 owners. Im 6000ft above sea level, so my uncorrected numbers were like 465hp i believe, so there shouldn't be issues with the DCT considering many people with 500+ uncorrected have beat the ever living shit out of their DCT's with no issues.
No reduced power warning, or dct warning at all?
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
No reduced power warning, or dct warning at all?
Zero codes were thrown, no issues with car. Still ran strong, but needless to say, caused some concearn. I don't know if it has to do with the raised rev limit from ESS or if there may be a clutch issue or DCT issue. There is zero slip, and when im shifting at any other rpm there was no issues. I tried to replicate the issue a couple other times bringing her to between 8000-8200ish rpm and she went right into gear
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Vic311
Major
 
Vic311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (0)

DCT probably can't take it at max revs
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
DCT probably can't take it at max revs
I don't think thats it. Im not pushing what the sea level guys are out of a 550 kit, much less my 625 kit.......
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Zero codes were thrown, no issues with car. Still ran strong, but needless to say, caused some concearn. I don't know if it has to do with the raised rev limit from ESS or if there may be a clutch issue or DCT issue. There is zero slip, and when im shifting at any other rpm there was no issues. I tried to replicate the issue a couple other times bringing her to between 8000-8200ish rpm and she went right into gear
Well that sounds promising. I would wait to see what Roman has to say. Hopefully its something easy to fix. Prayers for you!
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Well that sounds promising. I would wait to see what Roman has to say. Hopefully its something easy to fix. Prayers for you!
Yea, we are going to lower the rev limit back to factory and change the DCT fluid manana
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Roman@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,432
iTrader: (5)

I have not seen that before. Shoot me an email and I will follow up with you tomorrow.
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I have not seen that before. Shoot me an email and I will follow up with you tomorrow.
Sounds good Roman, thanks for all the quick help and info the past week with the kit. I spoke with Andrew already, and we will be in touch tomorrow. Any specific time good to shoot you a ring?
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Roman@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,432
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Sounds good Roman, thanks for all the quick help and info the past week with the kit. I spoke with Andrew already, and we will be in touch tomorrow. Any specific time good to shoot you a ring?
Anytime after I have had my coffee
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
biglare
Bulldog
 
biglare's Avatar
 
Drives: X6M | 1M | SOLD E90 M3 VT2-625
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA

Posts: 2,959
iTrader: (3)

OP... did you let the DCT warm up? I know that it needs to be warmed up before you romp on it or it could go into limp mode. That goes for non S/C'd M3's too that I have seen. Did you get the DCT software from ESS? I would recommend getting this as well.

I'm sure Roman will help you out.... once he has his Starbux!


__________________
1M ESS Stage 1+ Tune | IND Grills - Sides | Eisenmann Race | HRE P43S | KW V3 | SOLD-M3 ESS VT2-625 | IND/Challenge CF V-Weave Roof - LipSpoiler BootLid Diffuser - Mirrors - Brembo BBK Fiji-Green | HRE P44SC | MA Carbon CF MatteSilver Trim | Akra GT4 Mid-Pipe - Eisenmann Inconel | 3.62Diff | TopStitch Custom Interior | KW Clubsport | RD Sport Sways
biglare is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Well, we were able to get ahold of Roman at ESS, and he had zero idea why we would have this issue and told us to email AJ, the ESS tuner, and had no luck. Brought her to the track for a test run to see if fluid change helped. First run tried regular launch control. Car bogged super hard but no issues shifting. Next run tried poor mans launch control. On the 1-2 shift it didnt up shift, got out of it and smacked her to3rd (dct bars went from 6 to3 again) then on the 2- 3shift same thing, wouldnt upshift. Got out of it and packed up for the evening. On the way home I tried a 1-2 shift at 7800 rpm. Car shifted, but engine light came on and a 7000 redline. Pulled over, stopped car and restart and it went back to normal, but a service engine soon light is now on. Andrew at AR pulling codes tomorrow to see whats up. Im staying out of throttle until we figure out the issue. I have zero desire to blow a DCT.
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,300
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Well, we were able to get ahold of Roman at ESS, and he had zero idea why we would have this issue and told us to email AJ, the ESS tuner, and had no luck. Brought her to the track for a test run to see if fluid change helped. First run tried regular launch control. Car bogged super hard but no issues shifting. Next run tried poor mans launch control. On the 1-2 shift it didnt up shift, got out of it and smacked her to3rd (dct bars went from 6 to3 again) then on the 2- 3shift same thing, wouldnt upshift. Got out of it and packed up for the evening. On the way home I tried a 1-2 shift at 7800 rpm. Car shifted, but engine light came on and a 7000 redline. Pulled over, stopped car and restart and it went back to normal, but a service engine soon light is now on. Andrew at AR pulling codes tomorrow to see whats up. Im staying out of throttle until we figure out the issue. I have zero desire to blow a DCT.
Very interested to know what the engine faults are. There are a lot of torque management parameters in the DME which can affect DCT operation.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Hmmm
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,858
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Very interested to know what the engine faults are. There are a lot of torque management parameters in the DME which can affect DCT operation.
+1
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
NikB316
Lieutenant
 
NikB316's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

Posts: 589
iTrader: (4)

Well probably not worth testing now but would be interesting to see what happens if you used auto mode and redlined it. Auto mode isn't recommend on the blown cars as the clutch slips so it would have to be done with care - like just specifically 1st to 2nd or making sure the auto won't drop gears when WOT, just shift.
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
NikB316 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Just got home. Check engine light is now off.... wtf. I didn't bother getting on her, not rolling the dice until we pull codes and figure out what the issue is.
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
- SBD 700 E85 - Swift - Cobb V3 -
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
whats77inaname
Native Texan
 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

Posts: 1,559
iTrader: (15)

As a 6MT owner, I have to say, I hope you get this squared away, as having a broken car sucks.
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,300
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Just got home. Check engine light is now off.... wtf. I didn't bother getting on her, not rolling the dice until we pull codes and figure out what the issue is.
If the light was on, you should definitely have a fault code stored in the DME, even if the light is now off. Use your cable to read the fault codes, it's very easy to check.

Hopefully you do not have Internal Control Module or Moment Manager faults.

Check them and let us know what they are when you have time
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
Well probably not worth testing now but would be interesting to see what happens if you used auto mode and redlined it. Auto mode isn't recommend on the blown cars as the clutch slips so it would have to be done with care - like just specifically 1st to 2nd or making sure the auto won't drop gears when WOT, just shift.
I didn't know that auto mode is not recommended on blown cars. Do clutches operate differently auto vs manual mode?
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST