BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

My APEX-ARC 8 + Hankook R-S3 Track Review

I was looking for another recent post I could link this too, but really couldn't find one surprisingly.

I recently made this switch coming from PSS and PS2 tires and stock wheels (19s and 18s). I considered Yoko AD08s, NT05s, Direzza ZIIs as well, but given all the feedback from people here - landed on R-S3s (275s) and the APEX ARC-8 (18x10s). Review is mostly about tires, the wheels themselves performed as expected and the lightness I'm sure was there somewhere.

After break-in on Day 1 (abt. 2-3 sessions), the tires really started to perform like the reviews describe.

Turn-In / Grip
In summary, turn-in and grip are all greatly improved, and were consistent throughout the day - threshold braking in particular seemed less likely to dip into ABS because of the tires' traction during braking. Along with consistency, was improved predictability at the limit; when the car would rotate / kick-out , it seemed easier to modulate back into line from a slide.

Wear Performance
Lastly, R-S3s are a big improvement from a wear perspective vs. the Pilots. At the end of two days of hard driving, my Pilots were melting like a double cheeseburger on the shoulders pretty bad, but these seem to be relatively fine even with stock camber. Still looking for camber plates that won't make little noises during daily driving, and might throw those on.

Times
I couldn't really get proper time comparisons because my last car had a suspension vs. none now (ZCP only), but I did beat my fastest time by .5 - 1 sec, but then again, it's the first track sessions of the season, so it's too early to tell.

Conclusion
If you are going to the track often (8x a year+), it would be worthwhile to invest in proper track focused tires. If you're going for a couple times a year (3-4) I think PSS would be fine for the most part.

Some picts...woohoo.

Name:  IMG_20130425_190445.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  204.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20130425_190310.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  114.9 KB

Last edited by S65V8; 04-30-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Thanks for the review. I am looking for the EC-7s (rather than the ARC-8s) and I have experience with the AD08s so I might stick with those or try out the new ZII for kicks and giggles. The RS-3 does seem to perform well though!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Awesome review, thank you for the feedback! We definitely like the Hankook RS-3s, a lot of people run them with our wheels with great reviews like yours. The wheels look phenomenal on your M3!
Appreciate 0