BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

PYSPEED

04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

they covered your car?! Did you get to do this rip it off yourself?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      04-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
cSurf
Captain

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
they covered your car?! Did you get to do this rip it off yourself?
Ah yes... actually, I was a little pissed that they'd risk scratching my car w/ a cover that spends much of the day balled up on the shop floor. That said, my CA (Matt Marciano of BMW of Warwick) is head and shoulders better than any CA I've ever worked with...so I looked the other way (and a little drama was nice, they even had a sign w/ my name on it).

Last edited by cSurf; 04-28-2013 at 09:12 AM.
      04-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Hurricane
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [5.00]
Congrats. Nice choice on the color. Maybe one day I will see you out in the New England area.
Hurricane is offline   United_States
      04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
///Machine
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

Nice car riM3! My build is very similar, minus CF roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
Sweet!!! Congrats man!!!! Glad to see bunches of space grey out lately!!

Wait, someone drove it 81 miles before you got it??? !! Jk! Lol!
I noticed that too, lots of space grey lately. Maybe many buyers want to keep this car for a long time (like me) and SG is a great choice for that.
      04-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
cSurf
Captain

So I've been a bit lazy updating this thread... forgive me... I've been driving

Anyway, I figured I'd post a few pics of some of my recent mods. Nothing dramatic... more like a few finishing touches.

First up was the CF Performance Spoiler. I had planned on having the dealer install it prior to delivery but was told that that Betalink was on back-order nationwide. I figured I could source the product myself... but found it to be out of stock, at least regionally, at most dealers (including Tischer and Turner). Impetuously, I resigned myself to installing it myself with 3M tape. At first, I was a bit concerned with security (namely, I didn't want the thing flying off) and secondarily with fit (I wanted it flush). Having completed the job, I'm pleased with both. With the proper tools and patience, this is an easy DIY and is rock solid...literally, I move the car when I push up/down on the spoiler.

Tools
Plastic Razor Blades
Bondo Knife
Heat Gun

Consumables
3M Automotive Painters Tape
Goo Gone
3M Tape Primer
3M 1/2" Acrylic Automotive Double Stick Tape

First step was protecting the area - I used two-to-three layers of the 3M painters tape, applied as closely as possible to the edges of the OEM spoiler.

Second step was removing the existing spoiler - I used a bondo knife rather than fishing line...I imagine they're both OK options. I felt I may have had a bit more leverage pushing (rather than pulling) and I was able to use my free hand to life the spoiler while I pushed the bondo knife. If you haven't handled one, they're extremely soft (I went through 3 of them in the process, $0.75 at Autozone).

Third step is removing the existing 3M tape - this is definitely the hardest/most annoying part of the process. Heat definitely helps as did the plastic razor baldes... but there's no way around the elbow grease/time this step takes. I used GooGone sparingly to remove stragglers, then washed the area with warm soap and water.

Forth step was applying the tape - at this point, I was getting less disciplined with photos. The key part of this step is applying the 3M Tape Primer to the spoiler (not pictured). It dramatically improves the bond between the 3M tape and the surface it is being adhered to.

Fifth step - align the spoiler. Using the 3M painters tape, test fit the spoiler and tape and outline around where the spoiler should land (effectively a tape 'jig'). This helps a lot with alignment when you're 'live' with the adhesive tape (which can't be 'shimmied' once placed). Again, I should've taken more photos of this step.

Sixth step - remove tape, place, hold and support (with 3M Painters Tape).

Last step... enjoy!

You'll note that there's no gap. I haven't seen one of these mounted with Betalink, but I imagine the difference is imperceptible. Again, 3M Tape, 3M Tape Primer and heat are critical to proper curing...I've even used this combo to mount my front plate bracket!

Next up was the M Performance Exhaust... this I had installed by BMW of Newport. Great service team...in/out in 30min. The sound is perfect, no drone... but definitely turns heads (including mine).

Last edited by cSurf; 04-28-2013 at 09:09 AM.
      04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
Sam@ModeCarbon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: using 3 pedals

Pretty! Congrats.
      04-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
cSurf
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon
Pretty! Congrats.