BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Steve Thomas BMW

04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

IND helped me build a ///MONSTER

Project Green Monster

Before we get started, pics of the finished product can be viewed here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830443

OEM BMW Edition Grill Set
Front Clear Bra
RE SSK
Macht Schnell Shift Knob
iND Shifter extension
AMS Shift Knob
OEM BMW Sports Steering Wheel
OEM GTS Exhaust
Challenge Sport X-Pipe
Brembo F/R 380mm BBK
KW Clubsports
Volk Takata TE37s
Macht Schnell TPMS Emulator
ESS VT2 535 SC
Motorsport 24 Radiator
Motorsport 24 Oil Cooler
RKP GT4 Front Splitter
VARIS GT Wing
Challenge CF/Kevlar Trunk Lid
OEM BMW Motorsport ALMS Mirrors

Bottom line up front, I built this car for me. However, the journey to
this finished product has been a long one. When it was time to find a
companion for my daily driven E36 M3, my original thought was a new E92
M3. In late 2007 I placed an early order with BMW Military sales and in
July 2008 I picked up my Jet Black E92 M3 DCT. The car was fantastic but
with the DCT transmission, I felt a little disconnected from the driving
experience. While the DCT system is a technological marvel and does what it
does flawlessly, I missed rowing through the gears. Also, the M3 is
currently built as more of an "all arounder" rather than a focused sports car.
Blame the Latte sipping bimmerphiles for the sacrifice in overall
performance in the name of a luxurious ride and a quieter cabin.

Not long after buying the M3 I started looking at
Porsches. Their out of the box focus and performance combined with
company-backed modification options (this was before BMW Performance),
made the Stuttgart derived vehicles a tasty alternative. I could mod the
car with tried and true modifications made by Porsche. I test drove a
997S and about six months later I was trading in my 2200 mile six month
old E92 M3 for a bright red 997S Aero. My 997S was flashy and with the
Porsche short shift kit, PASM suspension, and GT3 derived body kit, it
felt like the focused sports car I was looking for.

I found the Porsche Owners Club pretty early in my ownership experience
which led me to both road course racing and Global Motorsports Group
(GMG). Within another six months my 997S was sporting a GMG exhaust, a
GT3 rear end, GMG specced Bilstein Damptronic Coilovers, BBS Motorsport
E88s and several other Porsche and GMG motorsport parts. And, although
I was very satisfied with the car, my taste for automobiles started to
become a lot more expensive. Pretty soon I started wondering why I paid
for a modded 997S over a stock GT3? An important question and a sort of
defining one, especially when it comes to my personal feelings about car
ownership. The seeds of doubt had sprouted and after about two years of
ownership, I sold the 997S.

Somehow I landed back in the seat of an E92 M3. I am not sure what
brought me back here. I think car buying for an enthusiast is an
emotional decision. But, putting my emotional feelings aside, the E92 M3
could be ordered without many electronic gadgets. One of the few
remaining sports cars that can. I could custom order an M3 through the
individual program. Even new, the E92 M3 represented an almost unmatched
performance bargain. With the money saved, I could modify my individual
BMW to be more unique and even faster/FOCUSED. Furthermore, the V8 in the
M3 is probably one of the last engines of its kind to be seen in a
sports car and certainly the last to be seen in the front of an M3.
Finally, the racing pedigree of the M brand and to a greater degree, the
E92 M3, was something that I admired.

There is something about ALMS spec race cars. For some reason I respect those
companies that field race cars in the ALMS series. I believe the ALMS series is why
I love cars like the Porsche GT3, BMW M3 (now Z4), Ferrari 458 and even the Corvette Z06.
I especially like that that these race cars are more than just shadows of the street version.
The engines of the RLL M3 GTs and GT3 cups are extremely similar to the engines we find
in the street version. The importance of my love for automotive racing, and to a larger
degree ALMS racing, drove the purchase and modification of this M3 as well as provided
the inspiriation for the build.

Finally. I have to be honest and say it was projects like INDs and Martin Ds M3
and Meaner than Hell that made me realize that a project like this was possible.
In my mind those two cars are legendary, have road presence, extreme performance
and yet retain an analog vice digital feel. Orginally I contacted IND simply to let them
know that I was planning on using them as source for parts and that my car was going
to be similar in feel to some of their more risque M3 builds. After the first few email
exchanges with Nate I realized that my relationship with IND is going to be much
stronger than simply using them as a source for parts. I had an idea in my mind of
what I was hoping to achieve. IND took that initial idea and "supercharged" it.
INDs fresh spin on my project ideas, as well as INDs world wide connection base,
were instrumental in turning the car into what it is today. I really cannot describe
how perfect IND has been during the build process. It might be hard to believe,
but I placed the order for this car back in May 2012! That gave the IND crew and I
nearly a year to refine what we wanted the car to be.

The majority of the modifications were completed in my garage by me, friends and
family. I not only wanted to build an epic M3 but I wanted to show that it could be done
in a garage, built with my own hands. I know my car is not the only DIY build and I applaud
everyone that has endured the frustrations of a project like this.

Here we go.

I arrived at the idea of a Porsche color when I saw a "Speed Yellow" M3 for sale on Autotrader.
That, combined with INDs Green Hell, got me thinking about an individual build. After researching
some dealerships I found myself sending emails to Steve Thomas BMW. They quickly responded
that they could get me a Porsche RS Green M3. I honestly could not be happier with Steve Thomas.
They run a great dealership with fantastic customer service. As I stated previously, I ordered this
car back in May 2012!

Here she is not long after I picked her up towards the end of January this year!

Top View by JMEllis, on Flickr

Signal Green by JMEllis, on Flickr

This is where the modification journey started. I had originally thought I would
do a set of black TE37s with gold accents. But, when I mentioned this to IND they
suggested I try one of the rare Takata Green sets in an aggressive offset. Let me tell you,
I was not sold on the idea at first. However, the idea grew on me and I am honestly in love
with them.

IMG_0349 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I originally considered going with a matte gold sticker but after trying both. I decided on
gold foil. Griots makes some expensive... ahem good products. I used their positioning
spray to mount the foil stickers. Word of warning, gold foil is a pain to mount!

IMG_0352 by JMEllis, on Flickr

And here is the finished product.

IMG_0358 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The wheels were the first modifications to arrive but they were not the first modifications on the car. The first modifications were a full set of BMW Edition Grills and a full front clear bra.

Bain Mendoza from Doza Designs installed the clear bra. He is a mobile installer that came highly recommended.

Fender Bra by JMEllis, on Flickr

He custom cut my clear bra that extended around panel edges.

Hood Bra by JMEllis, on Flickr

He did fantastic work and even cleared my GT4 lip!

Front Lip Bra by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here are the grills ready to go on.

Grills by JMEllis, on Flickr

I utilized the DIY pages quite a bit during this build. For the tricky side gills I used the tape method described in the DIY section. Basically, you use packaging tape for leverage to pull the chrome gills off and then simply pop in the new ones. Pretty simple but it takes a little more force than you would think . I doubled up on the tape. I used two pieces of tape top and bottom before pulling.

IMG_0103 by JMEllis, on Flickr

When IND offered me an OEM M3 GTS exhaust, I could not refuse. I combined the OE GTS rear section with a challenge sport center section which utilizes sport high flow cats.

A few notes, removing the stock exhaust is required for installation of the Rogue Engineering short shift kit. I combined the installation of the SSK and the exhaust system.

I backed up the car up on ramps and used jack stands for the front.

IMG_0106 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The hockey puck trick is a great way to keep your OE jack points looking good.

IMG_0108 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here is the OE GTS exhaust and the Challenge center section ready for install. Note how the Challenge center section is perfectly suited to connect to the OE GTS rear exhaust section.

IMG_0029 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Silicon spray makes removal and the replacement of OE exhaust bushings much easier.

IMG_0115 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The rear valence prepped for install.

IMG_0116 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The GTS rear section bolted right up with zero problems.

IMG_0117 by JMEllis, on Flickr

At this point it was time to install the Rogue SSK. I have to say, installing the SSK was one of my least favorite parts of the build. Being under the car for extended periods of time was not fun.

I do not have any pics from under the car. There are quite a few DIYs for SSK installs. The trickiest part is removing the carrier bushing.

IMG_0114 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I used an allen wrench as a pry bar. I then used Rustoleum rubber spray paint to re-cover the connection points. The Rustoleum product was identical in feel and look to the rubber covering that was on the connection points from the factory. RE recommends a grease with teflon for the install. I found SuperLube which was recommended by the RE tech I spoke to.

IMG_0120 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I re-installed the carrier bushing by placing a large wrench over the top of it and then pushing up with basically all my might until it snapped into place with a loud "flack".

Take care when you re-install the rubber boot around the shift lever. Its hard to get it lined up correctly.

With the SSK installed I bolted up the Challenge center section. Its much easier to get to the header flangs with the skid plate removed. There are six bolts around the outside of the skid plate as well as one at the center of the front center jack point. I was able to get enough room by removing the four rear bolts and the center bolt. The skid plate moved enough to give me room around the header flangs.

Here is the car with the center section and heat shields removed. The pic gives you and idea of how much wiggle room you are going to have.

IMG_0118 by JMEllis, on Flickr

With the clear bra, vents, RE SSK and full exhaust system on, it was time to move to the suspension and brakes. I have never installed a big brake kit and to be honest I was not looking forward to it.

Again, there are quite a few good DIYs on the forum with regards to changing brake setups ect... I used one of European Cars E90 M3 technical articles for the BBK.

I could not find an actual KW Clubsport DIY but I have done a few suspension setups before and in the end the Clubsport install was fairly straight forward.

Its also worth mentioning that all the modifications in the build came from manufacturers that were trusted/respected and I was confident would work. I tried to avoid the newest gadgets and stick to parts that were reliable.

I chose Brembos 380mm front and rear kit. The kit uses 6 piston calipers in the front and 4 piston calipers in the rear to maintain the correct balance and bias. Given the color of the car and green wheels with gold accents, IND and I decided it would be best to keep the brake calipers subtle. The calipers are gloss black with classic black chrome brembo logos.

Time to say goodbye to the OE wheels! Sad day because I actually like the OE 18s, especially in silver. I need to turn one of them into a coffee table or wall art or something!

IMG_0130 by JMEllis, on Flickr

For the suspension/brake install I obviously needed to get the car all the way in the air to get to all four corners at the same time. For jack points, I used the front center jack point and the rear portion of the rear subframe (not the diff).

IMG_0134 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I focused on the suspension first. The KW Clubsport kit is extremely well built. Having had Bilstein Damptronics and Moton Clubsports on my 997, the KW meets or exceeds the quality of those two kits. Of course that is just my humble opinion after holding all three in my hands.

The kit comes with everything you need with the top mounts already installed!

IMG_0135 by JMEllis, on Flickr

As I stated previously, the install of the suspension was very straight forward. Remember to always support the hub when removing the suspension components. I failed to do this once and I am surprised I did not break anything.

Also, I was an idiot and assumed the KW sway bar links utilized the OE nuts for mounting (I missed the KW nuts in the box). I ended up having to cut the nut off of the sway bar link and then replace the chewed up link. I have to say that KW US customer service was great and they overnighted me a new link (helps I am in CA).

IMG_0142 by JMEllis, on Flickr

With the suspension installed I moved on to the Brembo BBK. Again, I was not looking forward to this install. But, with the technical article from European Car, I found the install rather easy and straight forward. It helps that the car was brand new with no rusted on bolts!

I decided to keep the front heat shields and I modified them with a Dremel to allow enough clearance for the calipers. I have read there is potential for the hot brakes to melt the front tie bar bushes/covers. I imagine this is probably not true but given that my car will see the track, I figured why take the chance.

Here is the cut heat shield. Note the oxidation already forming on my 600 mile wheel hubs.

IMG_0137 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I painted the cut edge of the heat shield with black caliper paint and then installed the Brembo Caliper bracket. This is one of the areas where I paid attention to torque values. I purchased a relatively inexpensive torque wrench from Home Depot to ensure this portion of the install was done correctly.

IMG_0139 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here is the finished product. I decided to loop the OE brake sensor wire to avoid getting the code or installing them into the Brembo caliper. I followed the DIY in the DIY section which was helpful. Also, notice the nice and clean hubs! I used a product called "Fluid Film". Its a rust preventative liquid that comes in a spray can. I got the idea from someone else on this website. Apparently it has been used for years to prevent farm equipment from rusting. So far its working like a charm, however, it smells horrible!

IMG_0145 by JMEllis, on Flickr

When it came to tires I used the advice of others and chose Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s in 275/35/18 all around. Not only is it a great looking tire, it is a great street/track tire. However, I have yet to verify the track part.

Thanks to M3post member Kaiv, I took the car to San Diego Wheel and Tire Outlet on Convoy in SD. Omar gave me a good deal and the wheels came back with zero scratches/blemishes. I will use them again!

Kaiv, you probably do not remember giving me the advice here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763398
Great meeting you at the MFest meet on Saturday!

IMG_0017 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Ready for mounting to the car!

IMG_0022 by JMEllis, on Flickr

With the Clubsports installed and the Brembos on and bled, it was time to mount the wheels.

The front offset is aggressive.

Camber by JMEllis, on Flickr

Luckily the Clubsport camber plates have a good amount of adjustment. This was with the camber plates set at about half the max front camber possible.

Camber Plate by JMEllis, on Flickr

With the wheels on, the car is starting to come into focus.

Side by JMEllis, on Flickr

Fitment with the max front camber possible with the clubsports. There is some room to reduce the camber but I was playing it safe at first.

Green Wheel Camber by JMEllis, on Flickr

Okay, my driving impressions with the Clubsports. I set them up according to the instructions. Rebound and Bump were set in accordance with factory recommendations and they are set about an inch(ish) from full drop.

I am blown away by the everday drivability of these coilovers. Having had Bilstein Damptronics and Moton Clubsports on my 997S, the KWs are amazing. The Motons I had were arguably set up for a more track biased setup and my spring weights supported that. So comparing the KW Clubsports to the Moton Clubsports is probably not fair. What I will say is that KW did a good job setting up the Clubsports for street/track use. I could not be happier with the KWs.

The real advantage of the big Brembos will not be felt until I can get on the track. For everyday they feel about the same as stock which is what I would expect. I am looking forward to feeling them after 20min on the track!

Time for the supercharger.

I wanted a setup that would be reliable and controllable on the track. The end result is the ESS VT2 535 kit currently installed on the car. Thats right, an inter-cooled 535 kit. I wanted the lowest boost ESS SC kit I could get with the added advantage of inter-cooling. I further beefed up the kit with a Motorsport24 high capacity radiator and a Motorsport24 high capacity oil cooler.

The majority of the time spent building this car was spent installing the ESS kit, M24 radiator and M24 oil cooler. The ESS instructions are awesome and very straight forward. I also found the ESS software and cable, very easy to use.

I fit the M24 coolers into the build when the ESS instructions came to a logical install point. The M24 radiator went in after I removed the front fan. Here is the stock radiator coming out.

IMG_0191 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here is the OE radiator next to the M24 unit.

IMG_0192 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Notice the M24 has all metal connection points.

IMG_0193 by JMEllis, on Flickr

New injectors going in!

IMG_0199 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The obligatory shot of the beautiful indv throttle bodies!

Manifold Off by JMEllis, on Flickr

Okay, so the worst part of installing the VT2 kit for me was the installation of the coolant system. Routing the hoses and mounting the heat exchanger was a continuous run of trial and error for me.

Trying to figure out the best way to route the hoses.

Routing Hoses1 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The direction I ultimately decided. I am still not convinced I picked the best route.

Routing Hoses2 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The obligatory ESS manifold shot. As IND stated in the picture thread, all business when it came to the engine bay. No pretty paint in here.... not that I have anything against it.

IMG_0201 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here is the M24 oil cooler and the OE cooler side by side. The M24 cooler is significantly larger.

Oil Cool Vs Oil by JMEllis, on Flickr

The install is actually pretty easy, but it can be messy.

Oil Cooler Install by JMEllis, on Flickr

Finally, the software going in!

ESS Cable by JMEllis, on Flickr

With all the mechanical bits installed. Time for the front splitter and spoiler.

I loved the Varis wing since I first saw it on Martin Ds car. I had to have it for this build. Its one of the larger wings that I think compliments the M3s lines better than most. I know big wings are not for everyone and I will concede that the wing is probably as much for looks (for me) as it is for functionality. I just love it. I combined the wing with a Challenge CF trunk which apparently is a first for the wing and made the installation difficult. I left the wing installation and painting to the professionals at West Coast Specialties in San Diego. Here is the outcome.

Spoiler1 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Spoiler2 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I wanted something functional that worked. However, paying the premium for the OE BMW Motorsport part that would eventually get cracked or destroyed did not appear logical. So, I went with the next best thing.... The RKP GT4 front lip.

Here is the lip receiving a clear bra.

I wanted a lip that would be held securely by bolts, not tape or glue. I wanted something that would resist the high speeds that come with track duty. I further secured the bolts in place using high strength loctite. Yes, getting the lip will be difficult but its not coming off unless its destroyed anyway.

Splitter0 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Interesting to note that BMW does not completely spray the bottom of the bumpers. You can just make out the raw PU underneath.

Bolts going on.

Splitter4 by JMEllis, on Flickr

And the finished look!

Splitter3 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Yes, its difficult to drive with this big lip. But careful driving and road planning has kept it looking nearly new.

Splitter1 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Time for the mirrors. This is actually pretty simple as long as you are not squeamish about pulling out interior panels. The mirror install will require removal of the door panel. However, you do not need to disconnect all the electrical bits. Just pull the panel off and set it on something (I used a cooler) in order to access the tweeter and mirror mounts.

Here are the mirrors going on.

Mirror2 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The mirrors and Puma logo are a homage to the BMW Motorsport RLL M3 GTs that until recently raced in ALMS.

Mirror1 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Mirror3 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I finished the Monster just prior to the iND photoshoot (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830443)

I never had a chance to get the car aligned and to be honest, there are not a lot of options in San Diego for a good track oriented alignment/coilover setup. Furthermore, my square 275/35/18s were rubbing pretty bad at full lock. On the recommendation of M3Post member "Esquire", I called Malek at MRF Performance. Malek was confident that he could remedy my rubbing issues and setup the car to my liking.

If you have read my build journal and iNDs post then you know my primary concern is that the car is functional and the rubbing I was experiencing did not fit into that ethos.

First off, I really liked Maleks shop. For an enthusiast like me that is a DIYer and gets antsy at the idea of someone else touching their car, this place is heaven. Small, with quality equipment and the experience of a master builder.

Align3 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Plus, its great to just chat about cars/BMWs while the Monster received nothing but the best care.

Align4 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Doesn't she look great sitting on the lift?

Align5 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I think I did a decent job at capturing the color. In sunlight, Signal looks much deeper while under cloudy skys it can look dark.

I had initially setup the car with a lot of camber and a lot of "low". Malek adjusted my settings to a better ride height and a much more performance oriented camber setting.

Align6 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I love how the car turned out after the alignment! The car feels great and best of all, it does not rub! Here she is all dialed in and ready to go!

I cannot tell you enough how great my experience at MRF was. I will be going back.

Align2 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I had been looking for a suitable replacement shift knob for a while. My search took me to TWM Performance and their unique approach to a solution for BMWs. They provide a threaded adapter for the BMW shift lever that is secured with three set screws. Then the shift knob can be torqued down onto the threads of the adapter. The result is a very secure knob. I chose TWMs competition series knob and I am very happy with the product.

The packaging

TWM0 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The packaging inside is very nice. The threaded adapter is on the left

TWM1 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The result

TWM2 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Jason

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 05-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Golf Cart

Thank you again for the business Jason!! You my friend have def raised the bar! this is one of my new favorite cars on the forum Bravo my friend Bravo

can't wait to see it in person at bimmerfest!!

PS thank you for the new wallpaper on my computer

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
David's ED special ALL M cars-->http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042739
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
JEllis
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Thank you again for the business Jason!! You my friend have def raised the bar! this is one of my new favorite cars on the forum Bravo my friend Bravo

can't wait to see it in person at bimmerfest!!

PS thank you for the new wallpaper on my computer
Kind words man... looking forward to bimmerfest!

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 04-21-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
JEllis
Brigadier General

The wheels were the first modifications to arrive but they were not the first modifications on the car. The first modifications were a full set of BMW Edition Grills and a full front clear bra.

Bain Mendoza from Doza Designs installed the clear bra. He is a mobile installer that came highly recommended.

Fender Bra by JMEllis, on Flickr

He custom cut my clear bra that extended around panel edges.

Hood Bra by JMEllis, on Flickr

He did fantastic work and even cleared my GT4 lip!

Here are the grills ready to go on.

Grills by JMEllis, on Flickr

I utilized the DIY pages quite a bit during this build. For the tricky side gills I used the tape method described in the DIY section. Basically, you use packaging tape for leverage to pull the chrome gills off and then simply pop in the new ones. Pretty simple but it takes a little more force than you would think . I doubled up on the tape. I used two pieces of tape top and bottom before pulling.

IMG_0103 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 04-30-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
ms372
White Shark
Canada

Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

awesome car!
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
NJCRUSH
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: M3 Limerock/M3 Frozen Black

Love this color... Great Build
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
tpowerdinny
Specialist

Drives: A Tricycle

Unbelievable ride. I am still in awe that you ordered a Signal Green Individual car. I can't even imagine the cost and all the red tape cleared for you. I have got to hand it you.

The only thing I would recommend is getting the wheels in another color for contrast.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
car is epic! and I did not know the logo was gold leaf! SICK!

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
FVM3
Major General

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

nice shots
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
JEllis
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpowerdinny View Post
Unbelievable ride. I am still in awe that you ordered a Signal Green Individual car. I can't even imagine the cost and all the red tape cleared for you. I have got to hand it you.

The only thing I would recommend is getting the wheels in another color for contrast.
Steve Thomas made it look easy. From my perspective, I ordered the car then waited 9 months.

Gotta say, I love the green wheels and I probably wont be parting with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
car is epic! and I did not know the logo was gold leaf! SICK!
Not gold leaf... gold foil. Basically a foil sticker. Not actual gold. PITA to mount.

Jason
      04-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
tpowerdinny
Specialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Steve Thomas made it look easy. From my perspective, I ordered the car then waited 9 months.

Gotta say, I love the green wheels and I probably wont be parting with them.
Don't part with them... just get a second set

Awesome man. Congrats and enjoy!!!

Edit: Duuuuuuuuude... you have green wheels but not a green plenum... come on do it for me, do it for America lol

Last edited by tpowerdinny; 04-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada

Drives: M3

This is a factory oem color. Wow. I would have never guessed. Congrats on the loudest thing on the road since the whistle tips.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
JEllis
Brigadier General

When IND offered me an OEM M3 GTS exhaust, I could not refuse. I combined the OE GTS rear section with a challenge sport center section which utilizes sport high flow cats.

A few notes, removing the stock exhaust is required for installation of the Rogue Engineering short shift kit. I combined the installation of the SSK and the exhaust system.

I backed up the car up on ramps and used jack stands for the front.

IMG_0106 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The hockey puck trick is a great way to keep your OE jack points looking good.

IMG_0108 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Here is the OE GTS exhaust and the Challenge center section ready for install. Note how the Challenge center section is perfectly suited to connect to the OE GTS rear exhaust section.

IMG_0029 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Silicon spray makes removal and the replacement of OE exhaust bushings much easier.

IMG_0115 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The rear valence prepped for install.

IMG_0116 by JMEllis, on Flickr

The GTS rear section bolted right up with zero problems.

IMG_0117 by JMEllis, on Flickr

At this point it was time to install the Rogue SSK. I have to say, installing the SSK was one of my least favorite parts of the build. Being under the car for extended periods of time was not fun.

I do not have any pics from under the car. There are quite a few DIYs for SSK installs. The trickiest part is removing the carrier bushing.

IMG_0114 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I used an allen wrench as a pry bar. I then used Rustoleum rubber spray paint to re-cover the connection points. The Rustoleum product was identical in feel and look to the rubber covering that was on the connection points from the factory. RE recommends a grease with teflon for the install. I found SuperLube which was recommended by the RE tech I spoke to.

IMG_0120 by JMEllis, on Flickr

I re-installed the carrier bushing by placing a large wrench over the top of it and then pushing up with basically all my might until it snapped into place with a loud "flack".

Take care when you re-install the rubber boot around the shift lever. Its hard to get it lined up correctly.

With the SSK installed I bolted up the Challenge center section. Its much easier to get to the header flangs with the skid plate removed. There are six bolts around the outside of the skid plate as well as one at the center of the front center jack point. I was able to get enough room by removing the four rear bolts and the center bolt. The skid plate moved enough to give me room around the header flangs.

Here is the car with the center section and heat shields removed. The pic gives you and idea of how much wiggle room you are going to have.

IMG_0118 by JMEllis, on Flickr

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 04-20-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner
United_States

Drives: SGM E90

does this car have a name yet? may i propose "Kermit"?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
JEllis
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
does this car have a name yet? may i propose "Kermit"?
Ha... I love the name. When I was deep into Porsche tuning, Sharkwerks had a project Kermit which was a 997 GT3 RS in Signal Green.

Jason
      04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
chuxdelux
Captain

Drives: 2005 e46 m3, 2013 Jetta TDI

Great writeup. Its always refreshing to see a DIY'er.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
EPIC! I want to read more!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States

Drives: Race car->

congrats on a cool build. in for more updates.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
tpowerdinny
Specialist

Quote:
Ha... I love the name. When I was deep into Porsche tuning, Sharkwerks had a project Kermit which was a 997 GT3 RS in Signal Green.

Jason
ZKERMIT is definitely an icon. Remember "kermit" from 2007 when they started that. Awesome car, pretty famous on a lot of tv shows.

Ker///Mit is not a bad idea for your M though. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
And1M3
Major

Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

Quote:

Jason
Very nice build and you car looks sick. But for a name I will call it Kappa. That is a Japanese name for a water demon. Since your M is a monster why not use a montser name.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #21
IMG
M.POWER

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Sick ride man and def took it to the right place for the extra love,IND FTW !

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #22
Alen E90
Major General
United_States

Drives: E90 328i TiAg

WOW bro your M is a legit monster, iND did a fantastic job with the build and so did you

thanks so much for sharing and as far as a name goes i think we can all agree what she should be called...

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0