BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #155
HadiF82
Lieutenant Colonel
HadiF82's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
1,968
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
It's beyond disappointing. The public here does not understand racing, and associates it with the negative connotations of street racing. As such, there is virtually no public support for a track. Without any city initiative, and a bunch of uncommitted potential investors, a track won't be built here for a long time.
Damn the e36? i think its a great car but way to dated for my taste. should be sick with the supercharger though
__________________
'15 /// M4 On order
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP - Space Gray - Sold
'06 BMW 330CI ZHP- Sold
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #156
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

The e36 m3 to this day is my favorite car of all I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #157
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
The e36 m3 to this day is my favorite car of all I've owned.
Weird, isn't it? On paper the E92 M3 was amazing, and I did enjoy it while I had it. But I realized the E36 is just more of what I'm looking for. Yeah it's a little rough around the edges, but that's ok. The real telling moment was when I stepped out of the E92 and got into the E36 to test drive it. My immediate thought was "raw". More specifically, the steering was just immediately better. I got back into the E92 resenting its size and steering feel.

The only real issue I have with the anemic USDM E36 is the power, and I'll be addressing that this weekend or next. VF supercharger is sitting here ready for install!
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #158
maesd74
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

I recently departed from a 2011 E90 DCT ZCP...she's a great little car. I just needed something with more room....sooo, I got into a 2010 Audi S6. I miss the growl of the Bimmer's V8...but I'm liking the potential growl of the Audi's V10. Another 100 ft/lbs of torque is awesome to have as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #159
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Weird, isn't it? On paper the E92 M3 was amazing, and I did enjoy it while I had it. But I realized the E36 is just more of what I'm looking for. Yeah it's a little rough around the edges, but that's ok. The real telling moment was when I stepped out of the E92 and got into the E36 to test drive it. My immediate thought was "raw". More specifically, the steering was just immediately better. I got back into the E92 resenting its size and steering feel.

The only real issue I have with the anemic USDM E36 is the power, and I'll be addressing that this weekend or next. VF supercharger is sitting here ready for install!
Perfect steering, perfect brakes, light weight, no body roll, nimble, these are all words that describe the e36 not the e92 and not even the e46. I had a set of h&r on that car and it handled better then anything I've driven. Loved that car.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #160
Kramerz
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 m3 zcp 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia beach, Va

iTrader: (0)

Moved from a town(country) with great roads to drive on, to a boring commute on pothole ridden roads. Don't feel like cringing 50 times as I drive to work
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #161
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,023
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

I came from muscle cars, and they were far from stock also. my last car was faster than my M3. with that said.

Does the M3 lack TQ ? i guess when looking at other V8s. But it adds characteristics to the car/engine. I like how you need to really wine out the engine to get the power. I like playing around in the RPMs. Its just so different than your average V8. the high redline is also very cool. I cant see my next daily driver being this unique.

Ok to thread, i would get rid of the M3 in time has i do not wanna own it outside of warrnety. Also right now the car is plenty fast for me. but as time goes on and more cars come out, i might want something faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #162
E92Brembo
Private First Class
E92Brembo's Avatar
1
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335i White/Red Coral
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
330CI to E46 Dinan M3 to E90 M3 to E92 335i M-Sport. I've finally found the perfect car (for me) It's nice to smoke every M3 in town with a couple bolt ons + tune and still get 27MPG highway. Its a sleeper for sure. I spanked a S8 on the highway last Saturday night. Which was pretty cool. Once I got over not having the ///M badge on the trunk, I never looked back.


OP: E9X ///M not worth the price tag. Fuel economy sucked and of course the torque issue. As far as looks go I think it's the sexiest car under 100k though and handling is superb.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #163
maesd74
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Brembo
330CI to E46 Dinan M3 to E90 M3 to E92 335i M-Sport. I've finally found the perfect car (for me) It's nice to smoke every M3 in town with a couple bolt ons + tune and still get 27MPG highway. Its a sleeper for sure. I spanked a S8 on the highway last Saturday night. Which was pretty cool. Once I got over not having the ///M badge on the trunk, I never looked back.


OP: E9X ///M not worth the price tag. Fuel economy sucked and of course the torque issue. As far as looks go I think it's the sexiest car under 100k though and handling is superb.
The S6 is noooo slouch. 98% of the time I drive the car I'm not on a track. I miss the M, and will end up with one again in time...but till then, there's not much better than an S6 for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #164
Cool Steel
First Lieutenant
Cool Steel's Avatar
4
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: A galaxy far..far..away

iTrader: (0)

All this low end torque business is utter B.S. people just want something different ...

I owned a Corvette wtih 700hp (supercharged) with over 600 Ft/lb Tq. Stock was approximately 430 with over 400 Tq....

Was it fast ...yes..was it anything else....no.


The linear speed, handling, feel, refinement of the M3 is the reason I came over....

The M3 is seamless and "feels" just as fast..the sound is amazing with the high revs......the Vette honestly felt like a tin can relative to the M3......it was fast as hell but the M3 ...is supercar refinement and class...the Vette wasnt.

Once you go get your low end torque and realize....who cares....you will all be back because nothing is like an M3....

Last edited by Cool Steel; 05-02-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #165
Koldun
Banned
6
Rep
659
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3coupee92 View Post
I sold my 2011 E92 M3 Z package because I wanted something less common. In the DC area, an M3 is like a Camry, and at the end of the day, it's a 3 series coupe. Also, I really enjoyed the torque after I test drove a 510hp car w/ 470 lbs ft of torque. Got a supercharged Jag XKR. I have only come to realize all that torque only translates to wheel spin which I didn't get a lot of with my ex-M. And of course the handling of the M is undeniable.
For what it's worth, the XKR is a gorgeous vehicle, it simply wasn't roomy enough for me.. I felt like the seat needed to travel back another inch or two. The [s]bench[/s] rear seat also was inadequate.

It was fun to drive, though, I scared the ever-living shit out of the sales girl peeling out of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #166
mlambert890
Private First Class
1
Rep
108
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

The M3 certainly isn't for everyone. Also, people tend to come up with elaborate justifications for whatever it is they decide is most appealing, or whatever they can afford. Thats just human nature. The exclusivity argument is a good example. Above I saw NOVA get mentioned. I would argue that unless you are rolling around in a Veyron, you're kidding yourself if you think *anything* you drive is "exclusive" rolling around NOVA. I can't count the times I've snapped pics of crazy s h i t like a CGT parked *next to* a 458 at the *Tyson's Mall* down there and I only get down a few times a year on business. NOVA is like Miami or SoCal. Nothing is exclusive because there is too much money there and too many people blow too much of it on cars. If you live in an area like that, and your big concern is exclusivity, you have to just spend as much as you can *possibly* afford honestly and hope its enough to make you feel special (not being sarcastic here) The GTR tends to be good for that because, despite only being $100k, people orgasm over it 24x7 even in the most jaded areas (part of why i sold it - I actually find that a turnoff).

On the objective side, I think a lot of people that leave the M3 leave it because their primary concern, atop all others, is stoplight racing. In that case the M3 was never going to fit anyway. It's never been a stoplight racer car at all. Hopefully BMW doesn't cave in and turn it into one. There are already *so* many of those and IMO its diminishing returns and ultimately boring (mashing go pedal and claiming victory after tripling the street speed limit). But thats just me. I am sure there are many who would want BMW to just follow AMG and make a GTR/CTS-V/C63 clone.

On the other side of the spectrum, some leave because the E9x has become "too soft". This happens with every marque. I get it, but its also super subjective. For every person claiming the E36 is the most incredible M3 of all time I can show you ten that will say it doesnt even belong in the same sentence as the E30. The "not old school enough" pissing contest is as eternal as the "not enough TOOOOORQUE!" pissing contest.

In the end it's all about discovering what your own personal priorities are and then finding the car that suits them best.

Of course for many, these days, I think they just get bored really quickly and move on to "the next thing". Each time that "next thing" is the most amazing thing ever until, 6 months later, its time to get rid of it.

Last edited by mlambert890; 05-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #167
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,395
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
The M3 certainly isn't for everyone. Also, people tend to come up with elaborate justifications for whatever it is they decide is most appealing, or whatever they can afford. Thats just human nature. The exclusivity argument is a good example. Above I saw NOVA get mentioned. I would argue that unless you are rolling around in a Veyron, you're kidding yourself if you think *anything* you drive is "exclusive" rolling around NOVA. I can't count the times I've snapped pics of crazy s h i t like a CGT parked *next to* a 458 at the *Tyson's Mall* down there and I only get down a few times a year on business. NOVA is like Miami or SoCal. Nothing is exclusive because there is too much money there and too many people blow too much of it on cars. If you live in an area like that, and your big concern is exclusivity, you have to just spend as much as you can *possibly* afford honestly and hope its enough to make you feel special (not being sarcastic here) The GTR tends to be good for that because, despite only being $100k, people orgasm over it 24x7 even in the most jaded areas (part of why i sold it - I actually find that a turnoff).

On the objective side, I think a lot of people that leave the M3 leave it because their primary concern, atop all others, is stoplight racing. In that case the M3 was never going to fit anyway. It's never been a stoplight racer car at all. Hopefully BMW doesn't cave in and turn it into one. There are already *so* many of those and IMO its diminishing returns and ultimately boring (mashing go pedal and claiming victory after tripling the street speed limit). But thats just me. I am sure there are many who would want BMW to just follow AMG and make a GTR/CTS-V/C63 clone.

On the other side of the spectrum, some leave because the E9x has become "too soft". This happens with every marque. I get it, but its also super subjective. For every person claiming the E36 is the most incredible M3 of all time I can show you ten that will say it doesnt even belong in the same sentence as the E30. The "not old school enough" pissing contest is as eternal as the "not enough TOOOOORQUE!" pissing contest.

In the end it's all about discovering what your own personal priorities are and then finding the car that suits them best.

Of course for many, these days, I think they just get bored really quickly and move on to "the next thing". Each time that "next thing" is the most amazing thing ever until, 6 months later, its time to get rid of it.
Nice post!

P.S Agreed about NOVA. Always something interesting to look at.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #168
klammer
Brigadier General
40
Rep
3,244
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890
The M3 certainly isn't for everyone. Also, people tend to come up with elaborate justifications for whatever it is they decide is most appealing, or whatever they can afford. Thats just human nature. The exclusivity argument is a good example. Above I saw NOVA get mentioned. I would argue that unless you are rolling around in a Veyron, you're kidding yourself if you think *anything* you drive is "exclusive" rolling around NOVA. I can't count the times I've snapped pics of crazy s h i t like a CGT parked *next to* a 458 at the *Tyson's Mall* down there and I only get down a few times a year on business. NOVA is like Miami or SoCal. Nothing is exclusive because there is too much money there and too many people blow too much of it on cars. If you live in an area like that, and your big concern is exclusivity, you have to just spend as much as you can *possibly* afford honestly and hope its enough to make you feel special (not being sarcastic here) The GTR tends to be good for that because, despite only being $100k, people orgasm over it 24x7 even in the most jaded areas (part of why i sold it - I actually find that a turnoff).

On the objective side, I think a lot of people that leave the M3 leave it because their primary concern, atop all others, is stoplight racing. In that case the M3 was never going to fit anyway. It's never been a stoplight racer car at all. Hopefully BMW doesn't cave in and turn it into one. There are already *so* many of those and IMO its diminishing returns and ultimately boring (mashing go pedal and claiming victory after tripling the street speed limit). But thats just me. I am sure there are many who would want BMW to just follow AMG and make a GTR/CTS-V/C63 clone.

On the other side of the spectrum, some leave because the E9x has become "too soft". This happens with every marque. I get it, but its also super subjective. For every person claiming the E36 is the most incredible M3 of all time I can show you ten that will say it doesnt even belong in the same sentence as the E30. The "not old school enough" pissing contest is as eternal as the "not enough TOOOOORQUE!" pissing contest.

In the end it's all about discovering what your own personal priorities are and then finding the car that suits them best.

Of course for many, these days, I think they just get bored really quickly and move on to "the next thing". Each time that "next thing" is the most amazing thing ever until, 6 months later, its time to get rid of it.
Agreed! Guess the concept of diminishing returns gets lost on people. Balance is very underrated
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #169
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
113
Rep
5,739
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

I left the m3 for c63. But after that back to m3 again. The only reason I left because i wanted to try something new but found out that Im addicted to M3 and get used to it
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #170
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
apexkingjusto's Avatar
5
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 500HP S2000, and WRX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

After now owning the m3 for about 2 1/2 weeks and 1500miles of driving (5300 odo total) I find it to be a great car for its appearance, luxury, technology, v8 sound, decent power, and certain handling abilities.

That said as this is my dd I really wish as others have said, that it had more tq, or a nice turbo to propel the car down low. I remember how frustrated I was with to the s2000 before I turbod it, now it's got great usable power down low. Same thing with my wrx after a tune, love the power down low.

That said, I will probably pick up the new one once its released as its supposed to have a turbo. Otherwise, I'm not sure there is another 4 door car that would suite me. I'm kinda been spoiled by my other cars I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #171
Longwong
Banned
9
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 catless
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Its funny the complaints about cost or fuel mileage which are things clearly that someone concerned about either got the wrong car or could not afford it in the first place.

Especially to backstep to an old e36? Wow

Useable low end torque around town I could understand if you did not enjoy "driving" the car all day if its your daily but rather have a lot of calls to make or just want a cruiser.

But cost related stuff, mileage etc is just a poor excuse telling me you bought the wrong car or too much car for the ole budget
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #172
Endless619
DHS
Endless619's Avatar
Spain
54
Rep
3,930
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
I left the E46 M3 platform because after 5 years I wanted a newer updated M and moved over to the E86 M platform. I really liked it but it took a toll on my lower back so out it went for the E92 M3 platform. At first I was really disappointed with my decision because the E92 M3 looks like shit in stock trim to me. So with a little work and a couple years later its about a 6/10 car in looks. My old Z4MC was a 7/10. But I must say that my back issues have subsided to a point. Thats a good thing.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST