BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (9)

Sorry about posting misinformation. I believe I had read it in a BMW brochure some time ago. I guess it's about as true as the F10 M5 having side width adjustable lumbar or the Z8 having an LSD! I'll double check my facts next time.
On a separate note, has anyone changed their power steering fluid to Redline D4 ATF? With a flash point of degrees, that has to be higher than the Pentosin. Pentosin only shows an operating range of up to 130 degrees C (266F), no flash point rating as a base of comparison. I can't find an operating range on the Redline D4 on their site. Perhaps it would be more resistant to foaming?
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,483
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er
Sorry about posting misinformation. I believe I had read it in a BMW brochure some time ago. I guess it's about as true as the F10 M5 having side width adjustable lumbar or the Z8 having an LSD! I'll double check my facts next time.
On a separate note, has anyone changed their power steering fluid to Redline D4 ATF? With a flash point of degrees, that has to be higher than the Pentosin. Pentosin only shows an operating range of up to 130 degrees C (266F), no flash point rating as a base of comparison. I can't find an operating range on the Redline D4 on their site. Perhaps it would be more resistant to foaming?
I didn't think D4ATF was interchangeable with CHF11S.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (9)

It is shown on Redline's website as suited for power steering fluid application for the M3.

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,483
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
It is shown on Redline's website as suited for power steering fluid application for the M3.

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx
Awesome! I've been asked this awhile back with no answer...SWEET! Now you're 1 for 2.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 982
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
It is shown on Redline's website as suited for power steering fluid application for the M3.

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx
but will BMW feel the same way if you have PS problems. i can own an oil/lube company and print anything i want in terms of what applies in what service. i run redline in my dodge rear axle, front axle, t-case and 6 speed, so I support their stuff. but what makes it so - just because they print it on their literature. just playing devil's advocate with you. are you running it now? if so, for how long? i'd like some longer term data before considering alternatives.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Performance Steering Wheel | CF Mirror Caps | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates | AiM Solo DL
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,483
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
but will BMW feel the same way if you have PS problems. i can own an oil/lube company and print anything i want in terms of what applies in what service. i run redline in my dodge rear axle, front axle, t-case and 6 speed, so I support their stuff. but what makes it so - just because they print it on their literature. just playing devil's advocate with you. are you running it now? if so, for how long? i'd like some longer term data before considering alternatives.
Yeah...might not be good for making your case in warranty claim. Out of warranty? I'll usually go with redline.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,068
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
My E90 has sprung leaks in the rack and PS pump, DSG, RMS, and Valve gaskets. Just got the news today from the dealer...and factory warranty expired in dec, so extended will pick it up (whew, a nice little bill avoided). PS system is definitely a weak link....
Wow, dodged a bullet with the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I didn't think D4ATF was interchangeable with CHF11S.
I'm out of warranty, and briefly considered switching to something else, but ended up going back with OEM.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,128
iTrader: (9)

I just had my pump and reservoir replaced a few months ago due to noise. So I'll have the better part of the 2 year parts warranty left. I have a friend that's a redline dealer, so I'll have him order it Monday. I was just curious if anyone has tried it yet.
They don't have a product for everything. As an example they say that their oil doesn't meet the low ash standards (LL-04) for the BMW diesels. They claim to test the lubrication properties before advertising that their products are compatible. I was skeptical that their D6 ATF was compatible with the MTF LT3 my 135's transmission took. After nearly 3 years and 35k miles I still didn't have any issues.
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST