BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #111
lenzm3edan
First Pride

Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Mine is supercharged. 26k miles on it and it had the ticking noise for a week. People told me it was just the lifters and I knew it sounded a lil more abnormal. It finally gave out on me while cruising on the freeway and blew up oil/ smoke all out of the exhaust.

The shop is going to pull it apart soon and see what the damage is. It doesn't seem to be good though
Sorry to hear the bad news. Things happen and we all have to learn from our mistakes no matter what caused the issue. Good luck with the rebuild.

04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #112
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Let's hope your AA SC'ed M3 doesnt go boom because if it does the tuner will always find a way to blame it on you.
Or you can sell the car at the first indication of the ticking noise. Haha
I have no words for you sir.
      04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #113
kiln
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to kiln
Quote:
I always ran 93 in Texas. It started to blow a lil bit of smoke when I gassed it. I think something was worn out already. When I first drove the car in SD it already started making a slight ticking noise (with the 93 gas in).

The guy has not pointed the finger at anyone. Let him tell his story in another thread. It is my understanding that he was noticing the engine acting differently prior to the 89/91 octane episode. It would be nice to hear a full story with an accurate description of what happened.
kiln is offline   United_States
      04-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #114
VCMpower
Banned

Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news. Things happen and we all have to learn from our mistakes no matter what caused the issue. Good luck with the rebuild.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
      04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #115
erm324
Major

Drives: M3

Quote:
I had bmw inspect the car when it was in Texas and they said everything was okay.

It was an abnormal ticking you could hear bouncing off walls or a sidewalk like some have described. I'm not blaming anyone or the kit.
When you ran anything under 93 octane, was it for a prolonged period of time? If you ran 91 octane and kept the car at extremely low RPM I dont think that would have caused the motor to pop - my buddy Salaccidentally threw 91 in his VT2-650 kit when he first had it installed and had to run the gas out by putting around at low rpm before he could get on it. His car is fine. If you hammered the car while consciously knowing that the car didnt have sufficient octane for its tune, well, thats an entirely different story.
erm324 is offline   No_Country
      04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #116
m33
Banned

Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324
Quote:
I had bmw inspect the car when it was in Texas and they said everything was okay.

It was an abnormal ticking you could hear bouncing off walls or a sidewalk like some have described. I'm not blaming anyone or the kit.
When you ran anything under 93 octane, was it for a prolonged period of time? If you ran 91 octane and kept the car at extremely low RPM I dont think that would have caused the motor to pop - my buddy Salaccidentally threw 91 in his VT2-650 kit when he first had it installed and had to run the gas out by putting around at low rpm before he could get on it. His car is fine. If you hammered the car while consciously knowing that the car didnt have sufficient octane for its tune, well, thats an entirely different story.
+100
m33 is offline   United_States
      04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #117
jacobe92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 Frozen Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
h4nh,
I feel bad for you but no offense that was a pretty damn stupid move on your part. If the owner and manufacturer STRESS running 93 and not only do you use 91, but 89??? WTF!

Sorry if I sound harsh but you probably shouldn't drive an FI M3 to begin with

Enlighten me on why you put 89 in the car? Stupidity fascinates me. I'm not ESS or Biglare who sold you the car so I can tell you exactly what everyone is thinking...
Gentlemen lets all take a step back and not kick him while his down. Who really knows what happen to this engine. Yes, it could be a lot of things, wrong octane, preexisting rod bearing or valve defect exacerbated by a SC etc, etc. Ultimately his going to have to dig deep in his pockets to buy a new engine. I'm sure he posted here to blow off some steam and not to get grief from everybody. GL

KW Clubsports, Brembo BBK Front 365mm Rear 345mm, Akrapovic-Evo, Dinan Toe-links, 18" Bronze TE-37 Front 18x9.5 et 20 Rear 18x10.5 et 22 w/ RS3's, Cusco Bar, Recaro Sportster CS Black Leather, Turner 90 MM Lug Extensions
jacobe92 is offline   United_States
      04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #118
BuckRodgers
Private First Class

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Gentlemen lets all take a step back and not kick him while his down. Who really knows what happen to this engine. Yes, it could be a lot of things, wrong octane, preexisting rod bearing or valve defect exacerbated by a SC etc, etc. Ultimately his going to have to dig deep in his pockets to buy a new engine. I'm sure he posted here to blow off some steam and not to get grief from everybody. GL
His posting is a good lesson for people who supercharge their cars. It's pretty obvious that if you run 89 or 91 octane fuel in a supercharged car that requires 93 as a minimum you are going to damage the motor. I agree that kicking a guy when he is down is not cool but he is not going to get sympathy from anyone when he admits he put his motor at risk by not following the directions he was given.

The bright side is it is a killer car and maybe he can build the motor out so he can run higher HP safely
      04-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #119
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
This makes me want to rethink purchasing a SC.

How many blown motors with SC'ers have been listed on this forum?
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
      04-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #120
lenzm3edan
First Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post

Most of the blown motor issues are from stock vehicles even 2009 and up have experienced issue from what I've read. From what I've seen the superchargers are not an issue, sure at higher miles one should consider mileage before supercharging/turbo on any vehicle.

04-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #121
m33
Banned

Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU

That all depends on which company supercharged it
m33 is offline   United_States
      04-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #122
BIU
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 A22 E90 M3 DCT

OP: Thank you for creating this thread!

Call me paranoid but after reading this thread it did raise some concerns for my 08... I remember hearing some abnormal ticking sounds just after my spark plugs were changed at 30K.. However it has since disappeared?..

At idle, the car makes all sorts of noises as Im sure all normal vehicles do... there is a slight ticking noise Im sure... but its not what the videos suggest (Random ; No rhythm)..

I am out of warranty... Should I be concerned?
      04-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #123
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIU View Post
OP: Thank you for creating this thread!

Call me paranoid but after reading this thread it did raise some concerns for my 08... I remember hearing some abnormal ticking sounds just after my spark plugs were changed at 30K.. However it has since disappeared?..

At idle, the car makes all sorts of noises as Im sure all normal vehicles do... there is a slight ticking noise Im sure... but its not what the videos suggest (Random ; No rhythm)..

I am out of warranty... Should I be concerned?
I had the same concerns after the spark plug change hence the reason behind reviving the thread. But the ticking noise I heard have since disappeared and from the feedback from members who have listened to the YouTube video, all is well and healthy. Back to sleeping well again.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #124
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

I'd suggest sending an oil sample off to Blackstone with your next oil change.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #125
M3NSCH
Private

Drives: Tuuuurbo

I was told from a very reliable source that the sky is falling.

Can anyone confirm this?
      04-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #126
E92_carbonm3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 m3

I hate seeing this.. Now I'm paranoid!! Fml!
      04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #127
M3NSCH
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_carbonm3 View Post
I hate seeing this.. Now I'm paranoid!! Fml!
Me Too! I looked out the window, and didn't *see* the sky falling.

...but like I said, a VERY reliable source told me it's happening. There's even a big thread on the Internet about it and like, 4 other people claim it happen too!

I assume that means I'm next.
      04-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #128
ttbullet
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 135i

How much does a S65 block cost? And where can it be bought from.
      04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #129
M3NSCH
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbullet View Post
This is actually a great idea. We should probably ALL buy spare blocks just in case. Maybe ESS and AA should start packaging an extra with their S/C kits? The only issue for some is going to be storage.

Luckily, the bomb shelter I built for Y2K hasn't been getting much use. Well, of course, I stocked it back up for the end of the Mayan calendar, but that was a big disappointment too.

If anyone needs extra canned food - PM me.
      04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #130
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NSCH View Post
This is actually a great idea. We should probably ALL buy spare blocks just in case. Maybe ESS and AA should start packaging an extra with their S/C kits? The only issue for some is going to be storage.

Luckily, the bomb shelter I built for Y2K hasn't been getting much use. Well, of course, I stocked it back up for the end of the Mayan calendar, but that was a big disappointment too.

If anyone needs extra canned food - PM me.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      04-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #131
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!

Drives: camels & donkeys

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
I just heard pressure cookers will be banned....

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
ssabripo is offline   United_States
      04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #132
lenzm3edan
First Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbullet View Post
Did you blow your motor?